The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-02-2020, 08:33 PM

My friend and I will be there Saturday. We both started out playing Yamahas in ‘68. So it’ll be fun to see firsthand, how far guitar making has evolved over the past 42 years.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:09 AM

I am curious if the show will commence, given all the concern about COVID19.

I contacted the organizers to ask when they will make their decision. Frankly, I am on the fence about going. I am certainly not reactionary, but want to proceed with caution.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-11-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I am curious if the show will commence, given all the concern about COVID19. ...
FWIW, my talk on the evening of April 5 in New Haven, CT (International Relations Symposium at Yale (IRSY)), a few hours north of Harrisbug, PA, has cancelled.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:24 AM

I emailed the organizers, and received this reply: "We have been in communication with the local health agencies and at this time are proceeding as planned."

I notice that rooms at the hotel using the group rate now have openings (I had to reserve at the normal rate as the allotment had been filled previously).

So I cancelled my current reservation, assuming if we do go, I can grab a group rate.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am curious if the show will commence, given all the concern about COVID19.

I contacted the organizers to ask when they will make their decision. Frankly, I am on the fence about going. I am certainly not reactionary, but want to proceed with caution.
Thanks for asking this, I was wondering the same. I am still planning to go at the moment but will keep my eyes on the channel.

Last edited by jmat; 03-11-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:55 PM

I'm sad to write that I'd not host a gathering in which people from various locations descend upon a shared space for the purpose of handling objects that they will then pass to other participants to handle.

The health consequences are obvious. The legal consequences are equally obvious.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I'm sad to write that I'd not host a gathering in which people from various locations descend upon a shared space for the purpose of handling objects that they will then pass to other participants to handle.

The health consequences are obvious. The legal consequences are equally obvious.

Yep, fully agree. As much as I'm sad to miss, I will not take the chance.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-11-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yep, fully agree. As much as I'm sad to miss, I will not take the chance.
I agree, especially about being sad. I love this event, am scheduled to present my x-ray study on the evolution of the American steel string guitar, and have been looking forward to hanging with my friends in the guitar community and hoping to make a few new friends.

But, the very nature of the event, well, again sadly, makes it inappropriate. FWIW, and it's worth little, my graduate degrees are in law and public health and I've taught in graduate public health and law schools.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Sadly your logic is unassailable John.

In the last few weeks I have cancelled, or had cancelled on my behalf, almost all travel including to Barcelona, San Francisco, Portland and Bangalore. Looking at the list, while not on my list of top 20 concerns, I wonder how forgiving United will be when allocating flight status next year. In my field we are all doing a lot of "virtual" work which, I suspect, may change the nature of work even after all this is over. In the long term, loneliness may be a C-19 lasting contribution.

Pity on Artisan, like you I was looking forward to the people, ideas, performances, and instruments.

Last edited by jmat; 03-12-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Sadly your logic is unassailable John.

In the last few weeks I have cancelled, or had cancelled on my behalf, almost all travel including to Barcelona, San Francisco, Portland and Bangalore. Looking at the list, while not on my list of top 20 concerns I wonder how forgiving United will be when allocating flight status next year. In my field we are all doing a lot of "virtual" work which, I suspect, may change the nature of work even after all this is over. In the long term, loneliness may be a C-19 lasting contribution.

Pity on Artisan, like you I was looking forward to the people, ideas, performances, and instruments.

All of my upcoming international commitments, like yours, have cancelled or have been postponed.

Hanging with friends and playing fabulous guitars would soothe my soul. Alas ...
Old 03-11-2020, 06:37 PM

Forty years in medicine. Do we need to be cautious yes. But no more than what we do during flu season. All this hysteria is exactly that.. hysteria.
Look at the stats for H1N1. much worse in the US than COVID yet it took almost 7 months before govt. started making recommendations. All deaths have occurred in compromised older folks. Not in healthy adults.
I’ll be there, if they have it, and thoroughly enjoy more time playing instruments because of less crowds.
Although I will wash my hands in between as well as not touching my face etc. just like I do during flu season. YMMV
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 03-11-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Forty years in medicine. Do we need to be cautious yes. But no more than what we do during flu season. All this hysteria is exactly that.. hysteria.
Look at the stats for H1N1. much worse in the US than COVID yet it took almost 7 months before govt. started making recommendations. All deaths have occurred in compromised older folks. Not in healthy adults.
I’ll be there, if they have it, and thoroughly enjoy more time playing instruments because of less crowds.
Although I will wash my hands in between as well as not touching my face etc. just like I do during flu season. YMMV
I thought much as you state here very succinctly. And while I share these thoughts the concern lies less with the opportunity for contracting the virus, but rather the lack of available treatment.

If a path becomes clear I’ll be glad to attend.

By the way, I wish you could calm the hysteria in the media and stock analysts. I liken it to room of chihuahuas, and once one barks, they all start...

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-11-2020, 07:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great advice Tracer! The show is still on schedule and we still plan to exhibit there. We will wipe strings and necks on our guitars frequently with disinfecting wipes to minimize risks to guitar aficionados who stop by our booth.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:09 AM

Very hopeful news from John Detrick this morning:

"Good Morning,

I have been waiting to make a statement about the Artisan Guitar Show simply because of the fluid nature of Coronavirus. Planning has continued unchanged just to be sure we are prepared to present a high-quality event as always.

My comments in this e-mail reflect my basic views and my most recent response to the questions I have received regarding the show.

I have been watching the evolving Coronavirus situation quite closely. I made the decision some time ago to follow the lead of our government health officials. When issued, we will follow those health advisories and that guidance exactly. I feel it is my profound duty to follow the instructions of the professionals responsible for protecting us.

I also sought information and guidance from the venue where the event is being presented. I have attached the hotel “Safe Healthy Travel” statement.

Pennsylvania Physical General Rachel Levine spoke yesterday. She stated that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will not hesitate to place a moratorium on public gatherings if it is deemed appropriate. For now, it has not been deemed necessary. Levine did adamantly support and encourage responsible behavior related to the virus.

Although the hotel has taken the steps outlined in its memo, we are also trying to source hand disinfectant for every exhibitor as a further simple precaution. Exhibitors have stated that they are also taking their own sanitizing measures.

As mentioned, at this moment, absent any other defined official guidance, planning for the show has continued. I am going to speak with the Department of Health today and I have requested a meeting with the venue for today. I will communicate again on Friday, March 13, 2020.

Thank you.

John"
Old 03-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

very helpful john, thanks. I am staying tuned...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop