The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 07:27 PM

Default Eastman E10 OM or Martin 000-15 (Acoustic Upgrade)

My niece broke my Faith acoustic - all well and good really as it wasn’t a great guitar.

So now after several hectic days of intense research I’ve narrowed my search for a replacement down to a fine pair of guitars within my budget - The Eastman E10 OM and Martin 15-000, both of which are targeted at people like me who want to spend just enough for something that isn’t crap, but not so much that our bank statements make for painful reading.

In a fight, which one wins? I can adapt to either nut width - I’m not fussy there. I play fingerpicking, flatpicking, hybrid, with my thumb, teeth etc. I play a combination of rhythm and lead, and do not strum heavily at all. Styles I’m into are quite diverse...ambient/new age, pop, rock, a bit of jazz.

Has anyone else had a similar dilemma, and if so which did you choose?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:43 PM

I had a similar dilemma with dreds.

I was comparing Martin D-16's and D-18's, along with Taylor non-dreds, just in case. 210, 310, 410, 214, 314 models.

I thought I'd want a Martin, because it's what all the cool kids seem to prefer. I thought this, even though I didn't care for my previous Martin (though it was a lower end model.)

I played a couple L'Arrivee's at a local shop, then asked if the guy had any Eastmans.

I was expecting "good for the money"

I was not expecting to prefer the E10D to the wayyyy more expensive guitars I'd been playing, or even to the L'Arrivee's.

I can only suggest to NOT buy blind! Try out a bunch, at least until you find one that hooks you!
Old 05-05-2021, 08:11 PM

Between those two, I’d almost certainly take the Eastman. Not a knock on the Martin really, but I don’t love hog tops enough to have one be my only guitar, particularly for a wide range of music. But many others disagree with me on that point.

For $1000, I’d probably also make a point of playing the Yamaha FS3, their new red label. Same price, give or take, and also a small-body, mahogany back and sides guitar. Short scale, like the Eastman. Baked top, too. I haven’t played one yet, but they get rave reviews all over the place. But it’s targeted at the same market—quality instrument at a fair price. Yamaha has killer QC too, so it’ll be a solid guit.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbeaver View Post
My niece broke my Faith acoustic - all well and good really as it wasn’t a great guitar.

So now after several hectic days of intense research I’ve narrowed my search for a replacement down to a fine pair of guitars within my budget - The Eastman E10 OM and Martin 15-000, both of which are targeted at people like me who want to spend just enough for something that isn’t crap, but not so much that our bank statements make for painful reading.

In a fight, which one wins? I can adapt to either nut width - I’m not fussy there. I play fingerpicking, flatpicking, hybrid, with my thumb, teeth etc. I play a combination of rhythm and lead, and do not strum heavily at all. Styles I’m into are quite diverse...ambient/new age, pop, rock, a bit of jazz.

Has anyone else had a similar dilemma, and if so which did you choose?
I own 3 Martins standard series D28, D18, HD28 plus 3 other acoustics 2 of which are Eastman E20D SB and AC630SB. The 2 Eastmans have opened up into fantastic acoustics and are the 2 I play the most. Retired now I play everyday and glad I held on to the Eastmans and let them open up. They cost nowhere near what the 3 Martins sell for now. E10OM would be my choice and let it open up you'll be surprised how good they are.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:54 AM

Wink Both are good choices!

Welcome to AGF!

Just curious. Which model of Faith did your niece break? I have a Faith Venus Blood Moon and I like it very much even after owning it for over 3 years.

Of the 2 that you've shortlisted, I think the Eastman E10-OM is the more versatile guitar. Unless you've tried the Martin 000-15M and really like an all-Mahogany tone, which I do and also own a 00-15M.

I own the Yamaha FS5 Red Label, which is close enough to the Eastman E10-OM. Actually closer to the Eastman E10-OM-TC since its top is torrefied (baked) too.

Either one you choose is good. I think the E10-OM has a slight edge if that will be your only guitar. But being here in AGF, you'll never know when you'll give in to GAS and eventually own more guitars like many of us here.

Happy Hunting!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-06-2021, 08:16 AM

It was the Faith Saturn! Or should I say the Faith Sat On. :/

I’ve decided to hold out for the EM seeing as it’ll be my only acoustic, and it does seem the more versatile of the two. I guess I just needed confirmation. They don’t seem to come up often here in the uk though, and it has been tempting to snap up that Martin currently on sale for immediate gratification. However, I will try to remain disciplined and hold out for the better option...
Old 05-06-2021, 08:43 AM

May I recommend the Guild M20 instead?

Of the two you mention, I'd prefer the 000-15.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
It was the Faith Saturn! Or should I say the Faith Sat On. :/

I’ve decided to hold out for the EM seeing as it’ll be my only acoustic, and it does seem the more versatile of the two. I guess I just needed confirmation. They don’t seem to come up often here in the uk though, and it has been tempting to snap up that Martin currently on sale for immediate gratification. However, I will try to remain disciplined and hold out for the better option...
If the Martin is available to try, why wouldn't you? Doesn't mean you have to buy it. Folks either like Hog tops or they don't. I like them, but they have a very specific tone and are not for everybody.

I have owned 4 Eastmans and currently do not own one. Their quality has varied a lot in the past, though many have stated here that that's no longer the case. Still, I wouldn't buy an Eastman without a test drive. To be honest, Eastmans no longer hold my interest as they have radically gone up in price in the last few years.

I have owned Larrivee, Eastman and Taylor. My Recording King ROS-10 is the best guitar (for me) that I have ever owned. Name and reputation aren't everything.......

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-06-2021, 11:26 AM

You should absolutely call it a Sat On!

I didn't realize that Martin was the mahogany top one. I played a couple of those in my search, too.

DEFINITELY play it first! Mahogany top was not for me, even though they sounded great on videos.

Mahogany sides totally rule.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

My E10OM is my newest Eastman (about 9mos. old; see URL for NGD thread), but it's become one of my favorite guitars to play b/c it's so versatile and only going to get better. My daughter has a 2017 LTD version with a slotted headstock (only 70 made) that gives me a good indication where mine will evolve in the next couple of years.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=588454

I like the 000-15, and if I were to own a Martin, that would probably top the list for consideration. But it's a more specific, unique sound. Said another way... if the Eastman Mahogany/Spruce OM is vanilla, then the Martin all-hog is like a specific cappuccino flavor (tried to pick something brown, ha!). Some people will love it, but it's not for everyone... so be sure to try it out, first!
Old 05-06-2021, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I own a 00015SM and I also own a couple of Eastman OM guitars (e20-OM and e2-OM). All are very nice guitars, but I would give a nod to the Martin over the Eastman. However, I am a big fan of mahogany topped guitars in general.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:40 AM

I own both a 15 series Martin (dreadnought) and an E series Eastman (E20om) and have owned the E10om before. I've also owned a Martin 000-18, which would actually be the more apples-to-apples comparison with an E10om.

I like the Martin all-mahogany sound, so between that and the Eastman E10om, I would probably choose the Martin. But did you not like the mahogany tops? Then you really have to go with the Eastman or switch to the 000-18. I did not love the E10om I had, just seemed to be missing something compared to the 000-18. So I guess I'm saying Martin is the winner in your case, IMO.

That said, I enjoy my E20om more than a lot of Martin rosewood models I've played/owned. If you can try them out, do it.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 05-08-2021, 07:22 AM

I went for the thermo cured e10 om in the end...it’s arriving next week. I was given a very generous discount; nearly £200 off.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:28 AM

With your teeth? LOL! You might want to throw a strat onto your wish list. The Eastman might be a more versatile instrument with the spruce top but those 15 series Martns are sure nice and a forum favorite.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:33 AM

Default Eastman E10 OM or Martin 000-15 (Acoustic Upgrade)

Quote:
I went for the thermo cured e10 om in the end...it’s arriving next week. I was given a very generous discount; nearly £200 off.

I think you made a great choice! Post a NGD when it arrives.

The 000-15m can be your next guitar.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion