The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 07:08 PM

Default Played my Eastman in preference to a high dollar custom guitar today

This afternoon my buddy Karl came over to play some music. We’re staying at an apartment in downtown Los Anchorage for a few more days, and I only have two guitars with me: my high dollar custom made Kopp K-185, and my inexpensive second hand Eastman E1SS-LTD that I bought from another forum member.

Today I found myself playing the Eastman almost exclusively, even though that hadn’t been the plan.

It came down to the strings: the Eastman has fresher strings on it, and today as a result it’s the better sounding of the two.

But it’s also a superb guitar in its own right.

Karl commented: “Man, that’s just a fine sounding guitar.” He could hear the difference from across the dining room table.

So have you ever had this sort of cognitive dissonance-generating episode, where the least expensive guitar you own outshines your most expensive? The Kopp is a magnificent guitar, make no mistake about that, it’s just the worn out strings keeping it from doing its bes.

Anyway, I’m interested in hearing about your experiences along this line.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I’ll just say I have an E1ss (natural) and I honestly think it sounds better than my J-45. It’s just a great sounding guitar. Glad yours is putting a smile on your face.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:21 PM

I understand what you are saying. I feel that way about deciding what guitar to play each Sunday. Right now I am stuck on my J45, playing it straight, leading worship, for about 2 straight months now. Makes me feel bad for my wonderful D-18 sitting in its case. Its almost like I think they have feelings lol. I also have a Yamaha CSF3M that has my attention right now and is no where near the price or quality of the Gibson or Martin but for some reason I can not put it down at home. I go through different moods though so I know I will pull out the D-18 again soon. Its a blessing to have options like that for sure though.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 05-05-2021, 07:23 PM

Just say the word Wade and I'll take that nasty Kopp K-185 with it's rotten strings off your hands for you.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, it is a $1,200 dollar guitar made by Eastman, not really surprising to me.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I’ll just say I have an E1ss (natural) and I honestly think it sounds better than my J-45. It’s just a great sounding guitar. Glad yours is putting a smile on your face.
Mine has the antique sunburst finish on the top, and just looks great, in my opinion.

Once I got the Eastman the desire or “need” for me to get a J-45 evaporated entirely. It’s really my dream J-45, and sounds as good as the best J-45’s I’ve ever encountered in music stores. The fact that it cost less than a sixth as much is just the cherry on top.

whm
Old 05-05-2021, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
Well, it is a $1,200 dollar guitar made by Eastman, not really surprising to me.

The E1ss is a limited edition that retailed for $799. Even more amazing at that price.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Just say the word Wade and I'll take that nasty Kopp K-185 with it's rotten strings off your hands for you.
Stand in the corner and hold your breath while I consider your proposition, Bruce....

whm
Old 05-05-2021, 09:00 PM

I haven't even tried out many j45s but my E1ss also satisfied my J45 itch and I have no desire for another slope shoulder dread. I honestly thought I struck gold and found an exceptional one but it seems others have been impressed with them as well. Maybe because of their limited run, they put a bit more care even though it's a relatively inexpensive model.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 PM

Not all of them are great - the local Eastman dealer here in Anchorage has (or had) one that’s a dog. But when they’re good I suspect it’s a combination of a good design, good tonewoods and just a tried and true guitar package.

whm
Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 PM

I get it. I really like my E20-OM. There are days that I prefer it to my Huss & Dalton TOM-R. Especially after having it for 2 years and finally starting to open up a little. But some days, I hear a "raspyness" to the trebles that annoys me. At the end of the day, the H&D is clearly a better guitar, but I could have bought 3.5 E20-OM's for the price of it. It fills a role in my collection for sure and gets plenty of playing time. I just wish the string spacing and nut width were a tad wider.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:48 PM

Sure Wade back when I bought it for $750 Eastman E20D and my HD28. I've had both for years going back to when the E20D SB first came out. But the Eastman has opened up to an incredible sounding acoustic. I play it most of the time while I try to get the HD28 out at least once a week. Both are the same age. I have 6 acoustics 3 Martins 2 Eastman and a Guild. 2nd favorite is the Eastman AC630SB like the E20D it was so-so at first but has opened up into a killer jumbo with solid maple back and sides and Engleman spruce top. I don't know why but my Eastmans really open into really good guitars for the price it surprises me. It is worth the wait instead of selling them in a couple months.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:05 PM

My Eastman is in no danger of being sold.

whm
Old 05-05-2021, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Strings certainly make a big difference on what even really good guitars sound like.

- Glenn
Old 05-05-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Strings certainly make a big difference on what even really good guitars sound like.
Which is why it baffles me when people buy super-expensive guitars but leave the strings on for months at a time....

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion