The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 11:49 AM

Your best bet is to experiment and see what you think.

Strings are only a part of the sound chain, but they are the interface between you and the instrument. So my number one concern with a string is the feel: the smoothness, the ability to bend, and the force needed to fret. But there are many factors that influence this besides just round and hex core. You might want to check out some of the documents on santacruzguitar.com or straightupstrings.com for some more background on the influences of alloys and core-winding ratios.

As far as sound goes, our ears are very accommodating. It's almost impossible to compare one set of strings vs. another except in generalities. And ultimately, all that matters is whether you like them or not. So have fun - buy a few packs and try 'em.

best,

Rick
Old 05-05-2021, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

DR Sunbeams are among my favorites. I don’t know how to tell you what you’ll think vs elixir, but you should try them.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I find that round core strings don’t last as long for me as most hex cores - especially in terms of changing tunings, using a pick and string bending. I like both hex core and round core strings and it is nice to have the option.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-05-2023, 01:47 PM

Default figured it out

There should be a new kind of Core called a "Flex-Hex Core". It's a Hex-Core that's been Specially Formulated to allow for bends like on a Roundcore but combined w/ the Tuning stability of a Hex-Core all in one.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:26 PM

I'm certain I can't feel or hear the difference between round and hex core strings.

That said, Curt Mangan strings are my favorites for volume, tone and sustain. The ones I choose happen to be round core.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I prefer GHS Thin Core PB's which are round core. I just have to remember to trim them after they are under tension. Even at the ripe old age of 69 I am still capable of that.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:51 PM

Default Newer idea

There's another one called an Octagonal Core made by Mapes. My idea was a new kind of string called a "Flex-Hex Core". Flex-Hex Core strings would be a special variation of Hex Core strings that are formulated to have the same flexibility as Round Core strings by having a really thin core wire & then being compound wound like strings for bowed stringed instruments. But then there's another one called "Hex-Wound Strings" which are essentially Round Wound Strings shaped like a Hexagon & they never wear down frets because the frets have been coated in a special coating to make them stronger.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:34 PM

+1 on the DR Sunbeams. Love the sound and feel, but they definitely 'fade" a bit sooner than a lot of others...not "dead" mind you (still hold tune, intonate correctly, etc.) but what "zing" they do have mellows pretty quickly, which is exactly what I want for two of my favorite guitars.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm curious to know how ones preference might be influenced by whether you play 'bare fingered" versus with a plectrum or with finger picks. My single cone Mule is very dark sounding when played bare fingered and I'd like to find a string that sounds a bit lively(er) without fingerpicks.
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 08-28-2023, 02:10 AM

Default Yes .. maybe ...I think so .....

On a recommendation, I've just started my first set of roundwounds (Newtone Heritage strings UK) and on my guitar (an Auden Chester Cedar over Rosewood .. sort of 000 size (big bottom and petite top)) they sound ... just right. More 'musical'(?) than the D'addario XTs or Martin SP (PB or 80/20). They seem just right for that guitar. I play fingerpickin' (mostly) and use a plectrum for some songs, picking and thumpy three string strums twixt the picking.

They've been on at least 4 weeks I would guess, and I haven't noticed any deterioration yet ... Although, I'm a warbler, I play guitar at least 90 mins most days (always pushing myself to add bits to the vocal) so in comparison with other strings, they appear to be holding up. Mind you, I might change them today as a music producer chap I know has finally convinced me to lose my inhibitions and start to record some of my stuff this week. Better get new strings on ....

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 08-28-2023, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissoulaFlood View Post
I'm curious to know how ones preference might be influenced by whether you play 'bare fingered" versus with a plectrum or with finger picks. My single cone Mule is very dark sounding when played bare fingered and I'd like to find a string that sounds a bit lively(er) without fingerpicks.
I think of Ernie Ball aluminum bronze as the opposite of "dark sounding" strings. They have some serious twang. I like them on my wood bodied spider bridge resonator. You might like them on your Mule. I play fingestyle bare-fingertips (no nails or finger picks).
Old 08-28-2023, 11:03 AM

FWIW

I'm a recent convert to Curt Mangan Monel Round cores.

They sound better than Retro's (at the early stage) and my finger tips have stopped aching.

I hate the price, but if they last long I'm OK with it.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:02 PM

Default Silk Core / Round Core / Hex Core

As a fingerstyle player (bare fingers), the DR Sunbeams are midway between the silk core I still love and the hex core standard strings. They give a brighter sound than the silk core, and are easier to play than the hex core.

1965 J50 Adj ---> Replaced bridge. 1 11/16 nut
Stewmac OM-28 build. 1 3/4 nut
Stewmac 000 Claro Walnut build. 1 7/8 nut
Martin Backpacker. 1 11/16 nut
Old 08-28-2023, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dut4907 View Post
Hello, was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference between round core and hex core strings? Is there any tonal difference?

Was looking at the Sunbeams.... what should I expect from those coming from Elixirs?
From Elixirs? GOO.

A little bit more serious, the difference is. . . well, in the core of the "bass" strings. The roundcore tend to be more flexible and, sometimes, warmer than hexcore. On the other hand, hexcores tend to be more durable and easier for stringing. In fact, if you put a roundcore string the wrong way, you could kill the tone of the string almost immediately.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion