The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2021, 06:16 PM

I have to agree with Andromeda - anytime John Denver played. Whether it was solo, full/partial band or a string quartet it all worked.
More recent it would have to be Tommy Emmanuel. So gracious with his fans before and after shows. I was in line to get a CD autographed and I asked which strings he used. He spent several minutes telling me which strings on which guitar and why.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Kottke 1982
Prine and friends 1982
Bromberg 1976
Grisman 1977
Taj Mahal 79-2009
John Hiatt 1986

. . . . and my first concert (at 16) at the Hollywood Bowl. 1971 James Taylor.
I still have the flyer. What a show to be baptised at.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC67 View Post
I got to see Doc Watson back in 2007, so glad I got to see him once before he passed.
That was about the time I saw him too. He tore it up.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I took a side job for time at a sound company. The owner said We got a booking to do a solo guitarist at the FOX Theater. (Tommy Emanuel)

The owner (a very good guitar player) had never heard of Tommy.

About 20 minutes into the show I asked, "Don't that make you want to go home and practice?"

His reply was, "It makes me want to smash my guitars against the wall."

Great show, every time I've seen him.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:59 PM

Saw Doc at the Main Point back in the early 70’s. Remember being so close the the stage...

Saw Bromberg at the same place around rage same time.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Doc & Merle - around 78-79 I think, Seattle
Tony Rice - Summer of 88, Woodinville (near Seattle)
New Grass Revival - 1982, Telluride Bluegrass Festival

A couple of honorable mentions that were impromptu semi-private shows.

At that same ‘82 Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Norman Blake and Band’s bus broke down. I was working in the restaurant on the first floor of the hotel they were staying at. They were stuck in town for a couple days while they waited for a part to come in, and they basically set up shop in the lobby of the hotel and played for hours, sometimes with a couple of the better local players sitting in. Before and after work and during every break, I was out there sitting around with them and listening, taking it all in. I was 23 at the time. A huge treat.

When I was in college, Olympia, WA, around 76 or 77, a young player who was HEAVILY influenced by Leo Kottke and John Fahey came to play at our school. Put on an amazing show. A guy named Michael Gulezian. He’d also gone to high school with a dormmate of mine and after the show he came back and hung out and crashed in his dorm room, a couple doors down from mine. A few of us were in there hanging and he played some stuff he was working on he didn’t think was concert ready. Absolutely amazing to see a guy that skilled up close. I had just started playing and my mind was even more blown than it would be today. Fahey took an interest in him and re-released his first album on Takoma records. I don’t know if he’s still recording, but he’s got albums on the big streaming services. Worth checking out...

-Ray
Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Tommy Emmanuel with Frank Vignola-Great
Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage-Fantastic
Old 05-04-2021, 07:17 PM

Double bill, The Dillards and Doc Watson in Eureka Springs AR. Early this century. In a small auditorium.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Saw Doc at the Main Point back in the early 70’s. Remember being so close the the stage...
I saw Doc & Merle at the Main Point in the late 60s. My most memorable would have been my first rock concert, Tim Buckley/Jefferson Airplane at Swarthmore College in 1966 (I think). And then there was Woodstock in '69. I'm 71 so "memorable" is a very relative term...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-04-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:01 PM

John Jorgensen doing three piece gypsy jazz in a bookstore in Bowling Green, OH, for free, from about eight feet away for the whole show, which was amazing.

Doc Watson at BB King's place in NYC in 2003, for free, but only the last 30 minutes of the show.

Tommy E. from about 25 feet side of stage for the whole show. Great performance. I recall he did his cover of Johnny Cash covering NIN's Hurt.

CSN a few times, but not totally acoustic, however one show in Detroit, Croz, after he had recently been released from his stint in Texas in prison, came out solo, sat on a folding chair and absolutely killed it with a solo acoustic version of Almost Cut My Hair. I'd pay money for a video of that performance.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 05-04-2021, 08:09 PM

Concert with Toby Walker, Josh White Jr and someone else at Old Songs. When the power suddenly failed, Toby unplugged and walked out into the audience and kept playing. Then Josh did the same. The 3rd performer kept trying to quit, but Toby and Josh wouldn't let her. Totally memorable.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

I remember seeing Simon & Garfunkel in September 1967 at Purdue's Hall of Music. My wife and I (not yet married at the time) were in the 7th row from the stage where I could see everything he was playing. Man they were so good!

We also saw The Association at Purdue's Hall of Music in 1968. They were very good.

I have seen Tommy Emmanuel perform probably a dozen times, but the first time in 2007 at a workshop in Skaneateles, NY and then a performance the next night in Syracuse were the most memorable. Our room in Skaneateles was right next to Tommy so we spent quite a bit of time with him over that weekend.

My wife and I saw a great performance by Martin Taylor at Jazz Alley in Seattle in February 2004. That performance was completely magical.

- Glenn
Old 05-04-2021, 08:28 PM

John Denver at the Greek Theater at UC Berkeley. I think it was the summer of 1982.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:51 PM

Andres Segovia in Portland OR around '79 or '80, I think.

Pierre Bensusan in '88 or '89, I think, in a very intimate show at a church somewhere on the San Francisco peninsula.

Both fantastic shows. Pierre Bensusan was touring his album "Spices."

Someone threw a single rose onstage during Segovia's performance. He was so underwhelmed that he carried it offstage like a dead rat. It was hilarious.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:59 PM

Pierre Bensusan about eight years ago sitting about five feet from him. Blew me away.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion