The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2021, 11:57 AM

Default Santa Cruz 1929 00 vs Collings 01Mh vs Huss and Dalton crossroads L-00

Looking for a super high quality go anywhere (fully insured obviously) small bodied guitar. Any thoughts on these three please?
Best, David
Old 07-07-2021, 02:39 PM

You are going to hear from folks as to what they like best. But that is not what is important....what sounds best to you is important. For instance if I tell you to skip the Collings cuz I do not like the sound, does that mean it will not work for you? Of course not. These are all solid guitars. There will be a tone that works for you in 1 vs the others
Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 PM

A can’t go wrong selection to choose from. My favorite in that group is the Santa Cruz. Always seem to like SC the best. They feel good to me, look great which is less important to me, and most importantly, they have a sound that hits me right every time. The clip of Molly Tuttle playing Chinquapin Hunting on an H&D Crossroads Deluxe alway makes me want one. All that said, if it were me, I would jump on the Flammang L00 that just went up for sale and not look back. Had I not just bought a Flammang EL35 (love!), I would be buying the L00. I now have 2 guitars built by David Flammang and just can’t describe how mulch I like the sound and how nice they are to play.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 07-08-2021, 12:10 AM

Another vote for the ACGC 00-29. Lightly built, excellent, very rich sound with sweet trebles and strong basses, and the stock neck design is vintage-y - it’s big but it is very usable; I think the neck mass helps the tone.

Mine’s spectacular.

That said, you can’t go wrong with your choice - and consider adding a Martin 00-17 to your search. I found the Collings had more fundamental and different overtones. The H&Ds seem really balanced. The Martin was well, canonically Martin mahogany; it sounded right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion