The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-03-2021, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I’ve started the process, but have no firm end-of-work date. I just reckon that either this coming academic year or the next will be my last full-time gig.

I enjoy many parts of my job, and I appreciate that I work with good colleagues. I admit to being unsure what it’ll be like to wake up on a Monday and have no class beckoning me to teach.

On the other hand, right now I’m grading stacks of papers and exams with a very short turnaround, as academic calendars are set by administrators who never learnt that writing is the litmus paper of thought—they assume that learning can be measured by multiple-choice, opscan forms.

I think I won’t miss the grading. I know I won’t miss the suits in the expensive offices.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-03-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I admit to being unsure what it’ll be like to wake up on a Monday and have no class beckoning me to teach.
“What’s your favourite thing about retirement?”

“Sunday nights”
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-03-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post

“Sunday nights”
When I first retired, I knew that things were going to be different, and some of those things I learned in degrees...

But...I clearly remember the joy that swept thru me the first (and every following) Sunday evening when it first would occur to me that I didn't have to head to work on Monday mornings anymore!

I'm long since used to it, but those first few months were especially sweet...
Old 05-03-2021, 06:38 PM

I continue to work part time as a pharmacist and have no intention of stopping.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 05-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

I still have some months/years to go (I'm 65 last month) but working from home due to Covid has been a pleasant change of pace.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
When I first retired, I knew that things were going to be different, and some of those things I learned in degrees...

But...I clearly remember the joy that swept thru me the first (and every following) Sunday evening when it first would occur to me that I didn't have to head to work on Monday mornings anymore!

I'm long since used to it, but those first few months were especially sweet...
No more Sunday Scaries...can’t wait!
Old 05-05-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
As a fellow Department Chair, you have my condolences :-) Enjoy your retirement.
Haha!

I’ve been very lucky that my department was never as difficult as others in my college but there have definitely been times…

Thanks for the laugh for the kind wishes,
PJ
Old 05-06-2021, 03:57 AM

Thank you for this thread, I have gleaned a lot of food for thought, some excellent points have been made.

I will retire in 17 months at the age of 65 and although work has never defined me I enjoy what I do. I get a great deal of satisfaction from helping others. Fortunately I have a pile of hobbies that really engage and delight me. Cycle touring, fishing, skiing, camping, hiking, canoeing, woodworking. Oh yea playing guitar and ukulele. Even in retirement I will not have enough time to do everything as much as I would like but it should be fun trying.

I do appreciate the points made about making a contribution, having a purpose and how that can be tied to your sense of self worth. I will think long and hard on how to work that into retirement. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 AM

I was out at 60 thanks to my company deciding they wanted to offload all the high dollar boomers. They offered such a great management buyout package that my arm is still sore two years later from raising my hand so fast to volunteer. Just beyond anything I could have hoped for.

Not one ounce of regret. I'm down 25lbs from taking up healthy eating and lots of exercise including mountain biking. I became more involved in my church, and took up volunteer activities such as volunteering at a Food Panty for the Needy, that were infinitely more rewarding than my 38 year career in IT had been. Thanks to my buyout check, pension and 401K, I have no need to dip into Social Security anytime soon and also told my 10 years younger wife to retire also. We love life now. Going on adventures together, volunteering together etc...

My primary activity is on hiatus right now due to COVID and other life changes ongoing, but for a year and a half or so, this was how I spent a lot of my time. Most rewarding undertaking I've experienced.

https://www.facebook.com/unclejoesbikes

Once we get relocated to our empty nester's smaller house I will look at cranking it back up.

Like others, my only regret is that it all didn't happen until 60.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
No more Sunday Scaries...can’t wait!
This reminds me that the first thing I had to adjust to was the change in life rhythm. I was a M-F, morning/evening commuter, and I live in a major metropolitan area. I quickly came to see that although my location hadn’t changed, retirees live in an alternate time universe.

I came to see Sunday evening to Thursday noon as “retiree time”. The restaurants, shops, stores and even roads are open. There are retiree specials in Mondays and Tuesdays. You can get a table in a popular restaurant. See a movie on a Tuesday, and you might be the only person in the theater. Places like Home Depot and Lowe’s have service people who can actually help you. Life is wonderful.

But, starting at about noon on Thursday, everything changes. In my area, Thursday is the new Friday as far as commuting is concerned. If you’re on the road on Thursday afternoon, be prepared for congestion. On Friday, all the work-at-homers are crowding the shops, stores and golf courses. Thursday night carry out? No. Friday night dinner? No. Saturday? Forget it. I don’t even go out.

Then, on Sunday night, the workday crowd disappears, and retirees get their world back. I no longer dread Monday; I look forward to it.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post

“Sunday nights”
And Monday-Thursday nights as well....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-06-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Hammered away at a job I loved, my own business, until I stopped loving it at age 55. Traded the German cars for beaters, sold the home in the burbs and headed for the hills. I've been blessed to be able to enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle since then. Never a regret.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:45 AM

Graduated from college in the spring of 1978. Started a year career in sales. Bought a few suits and a handful of ties. Got married that fall. Thought I was pretty cool at age 23. Was lucky that the good Lord looked out over the bannister down to the earth, probably shook his head and thought..I better help this idiot or he will never make it. LOL.

41 years later on a cold rainy January day with no fanfare, I took off my tie and retired. My industry was now young people in my position. I slowly became, the old guy. Through out my career I did identify myself by my status of my job/position. But, as time went on, I realized watching people leave, retire, die.....life went on without them and sadly, quickly they were forgotten as others took their place. A wake up call. I realized no matter what the position or how high up.......it’s all temporary.

A new life starts. You can fight it or embrace it. I love it. I am now defined by......me. And that’s wonderful. I do things now on my time..and when I want and what I want and enjoy. There is a different rhythm and it’s one of peace, contentment, no deadline. I definitely enjoy every day more than ever. Food tastes better....perhaps because I’m not hurrying to get to a deadline or meeting...I now enjoy it for what it truly is.

No more Sunday night depression...anxiety.....check lists, deadlines, annoying meetings, travel, or work drama. I play tennis every day, read, got to lunch , play with my grandkids, actually enjoy going into a store without a rushed timeline. Enjoy it! Find yourself. I did.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Graduated from college in the spring of 1978. Started a year career in sales. Bought a few suits and a handful of ties. Got married that fall. Thought I was pretty cool at age 23. Was lucky that the good Lord looked out over the bannister down to the earth, probably shook his head and thought..I better help this idiot or he will never make it. LOL.

41 years later on a cold rainy January day with no fanfare, I took off my tie and retired. My industry was now young people in my position. I slowly became, the old guy. Through out my career I did identify myself by my status of my job/position. But, as time went on, I realized watching people leave, retire, die.....life went on without them and sadly, quickly they were forgotten as others took their place. A wake up call. I realized no matter what the position or how high up.......it’s all temporary.

A new life starts. You can fight it or embrace it. I love it. I am now defined by......me. And that’s wonderful. I do things now on my time..and when I want and what I want and enjoy. There is a different rhythm and it’s one of peace, contentment, no deadline. I definitely enjoy every day more than ever. Food tastes better....perhaps because I’m not hurrying to get to a deadline or meeting...I now enjoy it for what it truly is.

No more Sunday night depression...anxiety.....check lists, deadlines, annoying meetings, travel, or work drama. I play tennis every day, read, got to lunch , play with my grandkids, actually enjoy going into a store without a rushed timeline. Enjoy it! Find yourself. I did.
This is an outstanding perspective on this topic. We share a lot of similarities.

The perspective about “longevity” is spot on. I’m a 42 year Corporate guy. When I was a younger employee some of our leaders were viewed as gods...they were everything, could do no wrong and held in great esteem. As they retired, each was slowly, but ultimately, forgotten. The organization goes on. Ideas change, perspectives shift.

I had kids later in life so kept going to assure their financial future was not impeded. Next April I will close the book on this part of my life and move into the next. No regrets, no do overs needed. Can’t wait.

Last edited by Slothead56; 05-06-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Haha!

I’ve been very lucky that my department was never as difficult as others in my college but there have definitely been times…

Thanks for the laugh for the kind wishes,
PJ
22 years as a department head, 1 as a center director, 1 as an associate dean, and 1 as an interim dean....I cannot wait to retire!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic