The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 08:53 PM

Default Pricing a Guitar with a Repair

I have this guitar that I bought back when I was having hand issues. it was the only model that I could play at the time, so even though it was pretty expensive (by my standards) and had a finish issue, I bought it. After a few months with the guitar I also realized that there was a small crack on the back of the guitar and I immediately got it fixed by a terrific luthier.

I have a bit of fondness for this instrument, but really, I haven't played it much in the last year -- a time when I've played a TON of guitar. So, I'm considering selling it. But I don't really know how to price it, and that's my issue. It's a great instrument and plays beautifully and still sounds incredible, but I know how picky guitar players can be when a guitar is not in mint condition.

Are there any good rules of thumb for pricing instruments that have been repaired? I just want to figure out how to establish a fair price and if I sold it I'd be super-transparent about the issues. Do I take it to a shop and ask their opinion? I'm just not sure how to proceed.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 05-05-2021, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I don't know that there's necessarily a rule of thumb. A minor repair like that will probably knock it down the equivalent of a grade or two.

I just about a week ago sold a guitar with a minor repaired crack in the side. I looked at the most recent sales of that model on reverb, and priced it around 15% lower than instruments that were otherwise (aside from the crack) in similar cosmetic condition.

I think that the important thing is to be above board about everything, and the market will decide what it's worth. Price it at what you think is reasonable based on a bit of research, and if nobody's interested at that price, worst case scenario is that you have to mark it down a bit.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:33 PM

How long ago was the repair done?
It might help to return to that luthier and have him/her go over the guitar in great detail so you have a good idea from an expert on the overall health of the guitar today....any other issues...and an assessment on the repair that was done.
I think having that base line info when you talk with potential buyers adds a lot to a possible sale. It indicates your care that things are as solid as they can be as you bring the guitar to the marketplace and establish a competitive price.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-06-2021, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

My thoughts: If the repair is invisible/undetectable, then knock the price down by the cost of the repair. If it is still evident, then maybe 1.5x?

This wouldn't apply IMO to "maintenance" items like a good neck reset, refretting, etc.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

I would think that it depends on the particular guitar and the nature of the repair...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-06-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
How long ago was the repair done?
It might help to return to that luthier and have him/her go over the guitar in great detail so you have a good idea from an expert on the overall health of the guitar today....any other issues...and an assessment on the repair that was done.
I'd think that this would be helpful on a very valuable (e.g. Somogyi), vintage, or historically significant guitar but it seems a bit unnecessary even with a standard fairly high-end guitar.

YMMV

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-06-2021, 09:57 AM

I had a 2010 Cervantes Master classical with a pretty obvious crack. I took it to a dealer to both repair and put on consignment. It sold in a reasonable time for about as much as I could have hoped for uncracked.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:29 AM

A professionally-repaired crack in the back of a guitar takes less of a value hit than a crack in the top.

Still, there are a lot of guitars out there that are crack-free and without finish issues. It is those guitars that you are competing against in the market.

Unless the guitar is particularly rare or coveted, you are likely to get considerably less for it than the same guitar in mint cosmetic condition.

Without photos, it is impossible to suggest how much less you should ask.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion