The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 04:14 PM

Default D-28 Authentic vs. D-18 Authentic Aged

I own a 2014 D-28 Authentic which is just a monster guitar. Has really bloomed since I bought it - beautiful midrange, projection is crazy - really couldn’t imagine a better sounding D-28. But, ultimately, I find myself reaching for other guitars because of the 1 3/4 nut width. I just find smaller widths easier to play.

So - I was at Gruhns and played several of the smaller width D-18 A Aged guitars...and holy crap they’re amazing. Now I’ve got major gas for one. Haven’t played them side by side, but I have the feeling just on first listen, one might think the 28 is the “prettier” sounding guitar. But I could be perfectly happy with the 18. Would I be nuts to sell the 28 and pay more for a “lesser” guitar? I mainly use for recording - but not bluegrass - just mostly strumming with country/rock productions. My 28 is a bluegrass cannon - and I ain’t shooting it much with what i do with it lol. Anyone have both or experience with both?
Old 05-05-2021, 04:30 PM

Keep the D-28 and bought the D-18 and you won't have any regrets .
Old 05-05-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartamis View Post
Keep the D-28 and bought the D-18 and you won't have any regrets .
Well that doesn’t help lol
Old 05-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I own a 2014 D-28 Authentic which is just a monster guitar. Has really bloomed since I bought it - beautiful midrange, projection is crazy - really couldn’t imagine a better sounding D-28. But, ultimately, I find myself reaching for other guitars because of the 1 3/4 nut width. I just find smaller widths easier to play.

So - I was at Gruhns and played several of the smaller width D-18 A Aged guitars...and holy crap they’re amazing. Now I’ve got major gas for one. Haven’t played them side by side, but I have the feeling just on first listen, one might think the 28 is the “prettier” sounding guitar. But I could be perfectly happy with the 18. Would I be nuts to sell the 28 and pay more for a “lesser” guitar? I mainly use for recording - but not bluegrass - just mostly strumming with country/rock productions. My 28 is a bluegrass cannon - and I ain’t shooting it much with what i do with it lol. Anyone have both or experience with both?
D-28 A’41. Best of both worlds!
Old 05-05-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Well that doesn’t help lol
I know that doesn't help much, but from experience I know that when you get rid of a guitar that you like very much in favor of another guitar, you always end up regretting the other guitar.

Last edited by fartamis; 05-05-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

I love 18's and 28's and I teeter back and forth over whether I prefer a D-18 or a D-28. Gotta say I love both. But usually on a given day one will be a clear favorite over the other. And it may not even be a day...could be half an hour? The only constant is I can't decide. But if I was pushed into a corner I'd probably go with some variation of the D-18 for the long haul. No right or wrong. Just preference...and mine is ever changing?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I love 18's and 28's and I teeter back and forth over whether I prefer a D-18 or a D-28. Gotta say I love both. But usually on a given day one will be a clear favorite over the other. And it may not even be a day...could be half an hour? The only constant is I can't decide. But if I was pushed into a corner I'd probably go with some variation of the D-18 for the long haul. No right r wrong. Just preference...and mine is ever changing?
Well - I do this it’s somewhat like vocal mics - at least that’s what I’m starting to think. As far as recording I mean - listening solo’d up, I’m always going to gravitate towards the bigger bottom end/ voice-of-God kindve thing - but it’s really more about how it fits in the mix. I dig most of that out most of the time.

I just picked the 28 from the shop - a small part of the binding had come unglued - and holy **** it’s a great sounding guitar. But I do find it a little harder to play. There’s no way I can afford to have two authentics...so I’ve got to pick one. I’ll probably take my 28 in and compare.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well - I do this it’s somewhat like vocal mics - at least that’s what I’m starting to think. As far as recording I mean - listening solo’d up, I’m always going to gravitate towards the bigger bottom end/ voice-of-God kindve thing - but it’s really more about how it fits in the mix. I dig most of that out most of the time.

I just picked the 28 from the shop - a small part of the binding had come unglued - and holy **** it’s a great sounding guitar. But I do find it a little harder to play. There’s no way I can afford to have two authentics...so I’ve got to pick one. I’ll probably take my 28 in and compare.
Wise choice to A/B them and then decide...if you can? I wish you luck. Both stellar guitars IMO. Let us know what you decide. As a side note...I had the D-28 Authentic '37 and while I loved the voice I was at odds with the "Heel & Barrel" neck profile. Almost had my luthier shave it down to my specs...but at the last second changed my mind. Kinda wish I hadn't as it was such a great sounding guitar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

The biggest problem most people cite as the reason for selling or avoiding the D-28A 1937 is the neck taper. It’s shallow in first position but becomes a bat by the 5th or 6th fret. If it were more consistently thin or consistently thick throughout the entire length, most people would likely accept it. But the extreme taper difference is a distraction to clean playing if you move around the neck a lot, IMO.

To me, the D-28A is a bluegrass guitar, not so much a strummer and not overly versatile for all around duty.

The suggestion to take yours in and do a proper A/B against the D-18A Aged is a wise suggestion given your intended use.

Good luck!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-05-2021, 08:11 PM

I too teeter back and forth between an 18 and 28. I own both, but mine are standard series both are coming up on being a year old. It was hard enough buying two standard series back to back. Two authentic’s would be a hard pill to swallow.

2020 PRS Custom 24
2018 Fender American Professional Strat
1996 Fender SRV Strat
Fender 60’s style Strat partscaster
Fender 50’s style Strat partscaster
Fender 50’s style Tele partscaster
Jackson Soloist
Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartamis View Post
I know that doesn't help much, but from experience I know that when you get rid of a guitar that you like very much in favor of another guitar, you always end up regretting the other guitar.
This has been my experience EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:53 AM

I own a D28 custom and a D'18GE
Why?
Because I'm nuts,, that's why!
Old 05-06-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post

To me, the D-28A is a bluegrass guitar, not so much a strummer and not overly versatile for all around duty.
Brendan, I disagree strongly. If I were to whittle my handful guitars down to one that "does everything" best it would be the D28A. It's the best "strummer" I've ever played. I also love how it sounds with fingerpicks/thumbpick.

In comparing D18 and D28 Authentics I would also disagree with any notion that the 18 is the "lesser" guitar. These guitars can both be "right answers" with the only difference being personal preference.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:20 AM

So just got back from comparing my 28 A with several 18 AAs and a used 18 Authentic...and there’s just no way I can sell my 28 and buy the 18 AA for more money.
The 18 AA is definitely a fantastic, balanced sounding guitar - more balanced than the 28. But holy crap the 28 is just so huge in comparison. Mind you, mine is 7 years old and has really opened up. I could see where the 18 would be better for recording - you wouldn’t have to deal with the bigger bottom and it definitely has that old Martin midrange signature. But playing the 28 and then going back to the 18 was always the feeling that it was “wimpy-er”...I’d be happy with either guitar for sure - but in the same room at the same time, I would want to hear the 28 every time.

The used D-18 A sounded great too. Maybe less mids but more bottom. If I were going to go for the 18, I’d probably choose the AA because the cooked top seems to give it more projection and more mids. I was also pleasantly surprised by the standard D-18 too. There’s not $4000 difference in those guitars. Much bigger difference in the standard 28 and the Authentic. I would guess that the quality of the RW is more different than the quality of the mahogany.

Anyway, I think my gas has subsided for the moment.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Brendan, I disagree strongly. If I were to whittle my handful guitars down to one that "does everything" best it would be the D28A. It's the best "strummer" I've ever played. I also love how it sounds with fingerpicks/thumbpick.
Whoa! Have to admit I didn't see this coming. You have some nice stuff too and the D-28A is #1 huh ? Cool...

Quote:
So just got back from comparing my 28 A with several 18 AAs and a used 18 Authentic...and there’s just no way I can sell my 28 and buy the 18 AA for more money.
The 18 AA is definitely a fantastic, balanced sounding guitar - more balanced than the 28. But holy crap the 28 is just so huge in comparison. Mind you, mine is 7 years old and has really opened up. I could see where the 18 would be better for recording - you wouldn’t have to deal with the bigger bottom and it definitely has that old Martin midrange signature. But playing the 28 and then going back to the 18 was always the feeling that it was “wimpy-er”...I’d be happy with either guitar for sure - but in the same room at the same time, I would want to hear the 28 every time.

The used D-18 A sounded great too. Maybe less mids but more bottom. If I were going to go for the 18, I’d probably choose the AA because the cooked top seems to give it more projection and more mids. I was also pleasantly surprised by the standard D-18 too. There’s not $4000 difference in those guitars. Much bigger difference in the standard 28 and the Authentic. I would guess that the quality of the RW is more different than the quality of the mahogany.

Anyway, I think my gas has subsided for the moment.
This is really useful information and thanks for reporting back on the A/B shootout. Nothing better than playing and comparing in person if you can do it. Enjoy your 28 !

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion