The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-05-2021, 10:45 PM

Unhappy Can I store an opened string set because I need just the D string?

Hello, I am an idiot who just shaved off the winding on my D string with the allen key while adjusting the truss rod. I did it right after putting on a new set of 10 Guage Ernie Balls basically ruining a brand new string. So, I just ordered another set but will be using just the D String as it would be a total waste replacing all of them.

My question is, will the rest of the strings in the set get corroded? What could I do to preserve them for the future? I am from Central India and the temperature here is around 36°C if that information is of any use.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2021, 01:10 AM

No corrosion problem unless you're in a coastal area. In which case wrap the string box/bag in kitchen film to prevent air entering

Last edited by Ray175; 05-06-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:13 AM

Just store them so that they remain dry.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-06-2021, 03:09 AM

I have an incomplete set for like 7 years ago and they still look like new.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:52 AM

yea,, put em a zip lock back and store them in the case compartment.

you now have spares!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-06-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

you now have spares!
+1.

uAdi, Welcome to the AGF! How's the humidity in Central India, specifically in your home? That's what you need to watch out for. If it's humid, store a silica gel pack in the bag.

What guitar are you playing?

BTW - What you did is not an "idiot" move. I'm sure most of us here have done far worse things than ruining just a single string.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the answer! No, I am far away from the coast! Still, I'll store them in the suggested packing.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
No corrosion problem unless you're in a coastal area. In which case wrap the string box/bag in kitchen film to prevent air entering
Thanks for the answer! No, I am far away from the coast! Still, I'll store them in the suggested packing.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Just store them so that they remain dry.
Thank You!
Old 05-08-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I have an incomplete set for like 7 years ago and they still look like new.
Thanks for your response! That sounds really assuring!
Old 05-08-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

you now have spares!
I will! Thanks for responding! On that note, how often should one change their strings?
Old 05-08-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1.

uAdi, Welcome to the AGF! How's the humidity in Central India, specifically in your home? That's what you need to watch out for. If it's humid, store a silica gel pack in the bag.

What guitar are you playing?

BTW - What you did is not an "idiot" move. I'm sure most of us here have done far worse things than ruining just a single string.
Thanks a lot! The people over here are very helpful and polite! Where I live, my weather app shows about 20%-30% humidity. I don't know how accurate that is but yeah! It's definitely not humid here at all.

I am playing a Cort X300 and a Cort AD850. I am a fairly new player. Finally built up the courage to change the strings on a Floyd Rose but ended up messing the bridge and the string. So maybe I have in fact done some worse things to the guitar but the string is just the tip of the iceberg lol because the bridge is no longer parallel due to the gauge shift. My guitar came with 9 gauge but I wanted a bit heavier strings so I went with the 10s. I've tightened the balancing screws almost all the way in but the bridge is still a bit risen up. I haven't even checked the intonation on it which I am pretty sure is messed up as well. Maybe doing a string change for the first time after watching merely a youtube video was an idiot move.....
Old 05-08-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uAdi View Post
... how often should one change their strings?
There is no straight answer. Depends on the strings, your guitar, and you.

Some like the sound of very new strings, some like the sound of old strings. I suppose you should change when the sound is no longer as good, or if you see significant wear.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-08-2021, 12:25 PM

A Floyd Rose can be difficult to setup but watch some good YouTube videos and do some reading and you'll get it. It takes time and it's a balancing act but you will get it. Changing gauge will require a reset with the Floyd Rose. I've setup my Floyd before and it's doable.

Don't give up but if I were you and I had a few bucks I would take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Do you have any friends that know how to setup a Floyd?

Regarding strings, wipe your strings with a cotton or microfiber every time you play the guitar. Also, wash your hands before playing. Those two things will extend your string life considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uAdi View Post
Thanks a lot! The people over here are very helpful and polite! Where I live, my weather app shows about 20%-30% humidity. I don't know how accurate that is but yeah! It's definitely not humid here at all.

I am playing a Cort X300 and a Cort AD850. I am a fairly new player. Finally built up the courage to change the strings on a Floyd Rose but ended up messing the bridge and the string. So maybe I have in fact done some worse things to the guitar but the string is just the tip of the iceberg lol because the bridge is no longer parallel due to the gauge shift. My guitar came with 9 gauge but I wanted a bit heavier strings so I went with the 10s. I've tightened the balancing screws almost all the way in but the bridge is still a bit risen up. I haven't even checked the intonation on it which I am pretty sure is messed up as well. Maybe doing a string change for the first time after watching merely a youtube video was an idiot move.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
electric guitar, string breakage, truss rod adjustment