The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2021, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
So, if the Fishman is not going to be the one, what is?
I think it does a pretty good job, honestly. I get a nice acoustic tone with very interactive EQ. I use the two channels set separately... one for my D18 and one for J45.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Arrow

Just my two cents in this thread as I too have played many Acoustic amps over the years. From very inexpensive to a couple that were way out of my budget. And although the AER and other amps of that level in my opinion are worth the money for some I still think the absolute best bang for the buck out there is the Genzler acoustic array Pro. At about a thousand bucks dead even I think it gives some of the absolute best tone flexibility enough features without it being jumbled with a bunch of unnecessary nonsense and for those who are better singers than me which is most I'm sure, excellent vocal Channel sound. I still have a fender acoustasonic huge acoustic amp back in the late nineties that I actually still love. I find the Fishman's like no other amp to me are one of the most overrated amps in comparison. Yes I know a lot of people on this forum seem to really like them. But for overall features sound quality Electronics if you gave me three of them I would trade all of them in for a Genzler in a heartbeat. For those that don't know and I'm sure most do, obviously this used to be genz-benz before Fender did its usual buy and Hatchet job they frequently do. If this guy and company just marketed more I think they would sell five times more the amps. Those that have used them will agree I believe. I've yet to hear anybody on this forum ever not just Rave about these amplifiers.

Strapped a couple of old school JBL eon g2s to it and combined they could easily fill a room 200 people. 150 CLEAN watts of power, 3 DI outs, 28 lbs, excellent fit and finish, 10"woofer with 4 - 2.5 midrange / tweeters just an amazing array of high to low.

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 06-04-2021 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Spelling error and addition
Old 06-05-2021, 08:04 AM

I have been using a Loudbox Mini for a couple of years. It is all I need. I have also started using it as a powered floor monitor for vocals in my full electric band, and it excels there as well.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 06-05-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
Just my two cents in this thread as I too have played many Acoustic amps over the years. From very inexpensive to a couple that were way out of my budget. And although the AER and other amps of that level in my opinion are worth the money for some I still think the absolute best bang for the buck out there is the Genzler acoustic array Pro. At about a thousand bucks dead even I think it gives some of the absolute best tone flexibility enough features without it being jumbled with a bunch of unnecessary nonsense and for those who are better singers than me which is most I'm sure, excellent vocal Channel sound. I still have a fender acoustasonic huge acoustic amp back in the late nineties that I actually still love. I find the Fishman's like no other amp to me are one of the most overrated amps in comparison. Yes I know a lot of people on this forum seem to really like them. But for overall features sound quality Electronics if you gave me three of them I would trade all of them in for a Genzler in a heartbeat. For those that don't know and I'm sure most do, obviously this used to be genz-benz before Fender did its usual buy and Hatchet job they frequently do. If this guy and company just marketed more I think they would sell five times more the amps. Those that have used them will agree I believe. I've yet to hear anybody on this forum ever not just Rave about these amplifiers.

Strapped a couple of old school JBL eon g2s to it and combined they could easily fill a room 200 people. 150 CLEAN watts of power, 3 DI outs, 28 lbs, excellent fit and finish, 10"woofer with 4 - 2.5 midrange / tweeters just an amazing array of high to low.
Is your Fender a PR370 with the side-firing bottom speaker? I’ve always wanted one of those!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:04 AM

I own a Fishman Loudbox Mini and Performer.

In pre-pandemic times when I gigged, the Mini was perfect for 90% of the gigs I played.

I've played through an Artist as well and it is a great amp for sure.

Remember that old saying, "A small amp turned up always sounds better than a big amp turned down."
Old 06-05-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Remember that old saying, "A small amp turned up always sounds better than a big amp turned down."
That may apply to electric guitar tones (and btw I've never heard that adage), but definitely does not apply here. When you want clean, uncolored tone like from a PA or for acoustic guitar, trying to crank up an amp that's too small isn't going to give good results. You're better with the opposite in this case--an amp that's more than big enough with plenty of headroom, that you don't have to push.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
That may apply to electric guitar tones (and btw I've never heard that adage), but definitely does not apply here. When you want clean, uncolored tone like from a PA or for acoustic guitar, trying to crank up an amp that's too small isn't going to give good results. You're better with the opposite in this case--an amp that's more than big enough with plenty of headroom, that you don't have to push.
Agree with this for acoustic instruments.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-05-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Agree with this for acoustic instruments.
My favorite tube amp was my 1973 BF'd/SF Fender Twin Reverb with a couple of Jensen C12N's in it I bet it would've sounded great with an acoustic...
Old 06-05-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
Is your Fender a PR370 with the side-firing bottom speaker? I’ve always wanted one of those!
It IS!! What's really cool for home fun stack (waaaaay overkill BTW admittedly) is I run both my Taylor's through for some, that dreaded ES2 (Which I also think is more than adequate WITHOUT all the pedals and effects) through a Radial Twin City ABY DI so I can send signal to both amps same time. When I want to record some practice noodling time, I mic the Fender AND run a DI out of the Genzler into back of Zoom H4N and of course the stereo mics on there. So I get some really cool sounds and tones from both amps and the XY mica. Now I just have to get an EEEAAAAZZZZZY software to upload the files into to play with, mix etc. Any thoughts there peeps give it a plug.

See the pics below, bottom one I think, you'll see what I'm talking about. And yes...those old PR370s have a reeeaaallly nice tone and some of fenders better amp days in those. They were early yr voiced Acoustic amps, but also do very well with your semi hollow body Gibson ES 335 / 355s too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification