The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-03-2021, 01:07 PM

Default Bridge crack repair

I could use some advice here on this repair. My skills are pretty good but I am not sure of the best way to proceed. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I have a bridge split between the pin holes and off to both ends. The crack is too narrow to get a sliver of paper in to check the depth. Also the bridge plate is damaged from the pins trying to shred it.
It's a Sigma Japanese DM-5 in otherwise very good condition and sounds simply beautiful.
I plan on supergluing the crack with ebony dust if I can get any dust in the crack and glueing (Titebond or epoxy?) an additional bridge plate in place.
Or...??

Can't get my photo links to work> Am I too much a noobie here? Well "Open image in new tab " works....

Last edited by Dano48; 05-03-2021 at 01:37 PM. Reason: edit photo
Old 05-03-2021, 02:59 PM

Old 05-03-2021, 03:51 PM

Thank you Sir
Old 05-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure the better qualified repair folk will chime in soon. But, in the interim, I'd get the string tension off of it... the brideplate is basically gone where the ball ends are, and string tension is going to make the problem worse.

You can certainly repair it in the way you described. Adding a second bridge plate will likely change the tone, though, because of the added mass and stiffness.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-03-2021, 05:08 PM

As you can see you have much bigger problems then just cracks between the pin holes. This is a fairly typical reason for why this happens to a bridge. This one is really for a professional luthier or guitar tech. Basically you need to replace the bridge plate and while you are at it have a new bridge installed.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:34 PM

I believe I am going to use Titebond hideglue with sawdust to fill the torn out section of bridgeplate ply and install a 2mm rosewood reinforcement partial bridgeplate cut at an angle. Then superglue and ebony dust (if I can produce some) repair to the bridge. Then redrill and taper the pin holes.

I certainly found an abundance of good useful information on suitable repairs and bridgeplate wood here and around the internet.
Thank you all for being here!!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:58 PM

TB Hide is generally not recommended for guitar work. The best glue to use if you are not going to replace the bridge plate would be a gap filling glue. Something like Superbond Epoxy which is very thick. If you cap the bridge plate with a thin piece of rosewood and use the thick epoxy it will fill in all the gaps. It's not the proper repair and if this is a $3000 guitar then it should be done right.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:03 PM

I appreciate the strength of epoxy but am afraid it will be difficult to undo if the need arises. Is that not a factor? It's a $200 dollar guitar that sounds much more expensive.

Edit: This sounds like bridge and bridgeplate replacement will be less work.

Last edited by Dano48; 05-04-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano48 View Post
I appreciate the strength of epoxy but am afraid it will be difficult to undo if the need arises. Is that not a factor? It's a $200 dollar guitar that sounds much more expensive.

Edit: This sounds like bridge and bridgeplate replacement will be less work.
A bridge plate replacement is quite a lot of work and can cause damage. Epoxy would make it impossible, or nearly impossible, to reverse yes this is true. But it's a viable technique imho for such a guitar.

And yeah those old Japanese Sigma's can be really nice guitars. I've got one in my shop now from the 70's I'd guess and it's lovely.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:43 PM

I can't believe they used laminate for the bridge plate. I'd like to remove it. Maybe I can chisel out the upper plys and just leave the glued in layer and overlay either maple or rosewood bridge plate over it.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:43 PM

Bridge plate removal IMO is one of the hardest jobs to do on a guitar cleanly, hard to get the right amount of heat in without burning the lacquer on the top of the guitar, hard to clean up after removal, its just a yuck job

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-11-2021, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Bridge plate removal IMO is one of the hardest jobs to do on a guitar cleanly, hard to get the right amount of heat in without burning the lacquer on the top of the guitar, hard to clean up after removal, its just a yuck job

Steve
If you do decide to remove the bridge plate here is a less expensive version of the Stew-Mac bridge plate chisel that looks like it should work well. I have not used this specific tool, but thought you may need a few tool options, since your bridge plate is toast.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184179048872

It's hard to imagine what caused so much of the wood plies to shatter and come loose, but filling that gap with glue/dust paste is the wrong approach for a bridge plate. I think you can easily get away with chiseling/scraping all of the loose plies, down to the thin plie that is glued to the top, and then stop, sand lightly smooth and then glue on a properly shaped solid 1/8" thick maple plate. Leaving the top ply intact is a short-cut, and would not be recommended for a $3K guitar, but I don't think we're in that league here. Best of luck on your repair project .

1918 Gibson L-1
1928 Gibson L-4 (Blond w/Ebony Fret-board)
1930's Kalamazoo KG-32
1930's Gretsch F-50
1934 Gibson L-7
1934 Gibson L-50 (KG-11/14 Body Shape)
1935 Gibson L-50 (Flat-back)
1935 Gibson L-30 (Flat-back)
1942 Gibson L-50 (WWII Banner Head)
1948 Gibson L-50
1949 Epiphone Blackstone

"a sharp mind cuts cleaner than a sharp tool"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair