The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-26-2020, 11:46 AM

Default Guitars you sold/gave that you know where they are?

How many guitars have you sold or given away that you know where they are? You may not personally know the owner but you know have the contact info for the owner?

Do you think that with higher end guitars that the guitar is more likely to keep that chain of custody / provenance? I bought my Lowden from a forum member and if I sold it (don't think that will ever happen) I'd let him know where it's going. I probably wouldn't do that with a stranger for a $200 guitar I bought off him/her.

For those who don't know, do you wish you knew?
Old 01-26-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I know where two of my former 12 strings are because the new owners have written rave reviews about them. I know where one of my Huss & Daltons is because the new owner has it up for sale...
Old 01-26-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I know where two of my former 12 strings are because the new owners have written rave reviews about them. I know where one of my Huss & Daltons is because the new owner has it up for sale...
...and you also know where one of your Rainsongs is...and it's not going nowhere.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

Last edited by philjs; 01-27-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
...and you also know where one of your Rainsongs is...and it's not going nowhere.

Phil
Oh yeh. That makes four......
Old 01-26-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Any inkling to try and reacquire the H&D?
Old 01-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Conn F-27 now in the hands of a friend.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 PM

My first guitar, a Goya M-26, was sold to a friend of my brother in 1963? I have since replaced it with another 1958 M-26.
This is the replacement. I have no photos of the original.

I gave my first banjo, which had been modified so much that there was little of the original left, to my niece, Steph, and she still has it.
Steph playing at the Guelph Hillside Folk Festival

My Epiphone 12-string now belongs to my brother Bob, Steph's dad.

My Epiphone Emperor was sold to my brother Dave, who left it to his son Jeff when he passed.
This is me playing a rare electric gig before I sold the Emperor to Dave.

I gave my Yamaha FG-160 to my ex when we split. She left it to my son Clay when she passed in 1992.

In about 1962, my brother Bob and I chipped in to buy a 1958 J-50. I was broke in 1969 and sold him my half. He still has it.

In the mid-seventies, my brother Dave and I chipped in for a 1974 D-18. When I found my D-21, I sold Dave my half and he left the D-18 to his son Steve when he passed.
Steve playing the D-18 at a family get-together
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .

Last edited by PHJim; 01-26-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:24 PM

In the summer of 1970, I purchased the first guitar I paid for myself (mom co-signed), a new Gibson SG Standard. Within a year, I sold it as I was getting more into acoustic guitars. I did get back into electric guitar and a few years later, I ran into that SG which was then owned by a friend of mine. I had scraped a bit of the finish off behind the truss rod cover when I owned it to see what color the bare wood was. Sure enough, that scraping was on my friend's guitar.

We have crossed paths over the years and he still has that guitar. Needless to say, he's owned it longer than I did. He ended up playing bass in bands and I've attended a few of his recent gigs. At one point I asked him to take a pic for me and he obliged. Here it is:

'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 01-26-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
In the summer of 1970, I purchased the first guitar I paid for myself (mom co-signed), a new Gibson SG Standard. Within a year, I sold it as I was getting more into acoustic guitars. I did get back into electric guitar and a few years later, I ran into that SG which was then owned by a friend of mine. I had scraped a bit of the finish off behind the truss rod cover when I owned it to see what color the bare wood was. Sure enough, that scraping was on my friend's guitar.

We have crossed paths over the years and he still has that guitar. Needless to say, he's owned it longer than I did. He ended up playing bass in bands and I've attended a few of his recent gigs. At one point I asked him to take a pic for me and he obliged. Here it is:

I'm a big SG fan and that's a beauty. That SG has seen lots of action. Wouldn't it be sweet to end up back in your hands? Do you have any desire to make an offer? Guessing it's too important that he wouldn't let it go.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

In 1996, I foolishly sold my '73 D35 to a friend. Last week, he came to my club to play - still has that guitar and it still sounds as wondrous as it did for me.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wouldn't it be sweet to end up back in your hands? Do you have any desire to make an offer? Guessing it's too important that he wouldn't let it go.
It's worth more than I would be willing to pay plus it probably has quite a bit of sentimental value to him. I do own a '67 ES335 that I've owned for 42 years so I can understand the long term sentimentality.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 01-27-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
It's worth more than I would be willing to pay plus it probably has quite a bit of sentimental value to him. I do own a '67 ES335 that I've owned for 42 years so I can understand the long term sentimentality.
I figured it would cost too much now. Sweet that you own another beauty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic