The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Plug-ins, software that uses "reference files"

I've seen that certain plug ins, etc. have a feature that uses "reference files." Does this mean that it develops a mastering format from a sound file that can be used to master another recording? In other words if I want my tracks to have a similar sound as a professional's I can use this feature to get my tracks closer to the sound I'm looking for? Thanks.

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 02-22-2019, 08:05 AM

Can you be specific on what you are looking at? Many reverbs use convolution files ('IR's) that are modeled based on a particular 'room'.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Some will reference the sound spectrum from another recording you can use to match your new recording to, but not very effectively IMO.

Get the best initial recording, then use your own ears for equalization, reverb, etc.. I do use plugin settings saves of ones I like which can
sometimes be useful starting point for the next recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've seen that certain plug ins, etc. have a feature that uses "reference files." Does this mean that it develops a mastering format from a sound file that can be used to master another recording? In other words if I want my tracks to have a similar sound as a professional's I can use this feature to get my tracks closer to the sound I'm looking for? Thanks.
Not quite sure exactly what you are talking about ?

As per Mike B "convolution" reverbs use IR files (impulse response) usually recorded in specific spaces as a digital reference to replicate that reverbant response for use in processing recorded signals.

And when you say "develops mastering format" and "master another recording" what does that mean ? in audio "Mastering" is a finishing process that may, but usually does not involve reverb......? Do you perhaps mean the word "Process" (as in Digital Signal Processing ) instead of "master" ?? (in which case the answer would be yes for a convolution reverb) They usually come with some
preloaded IR files, and often you can also get more IR files, and load them into the file system of the reverb,,,, and use them to process any recording.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-22-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I've tried a couple of those plugins and can't remember right now who makes them - maybe Waves and Izotope.

In my opinion those plugins are gimmicks. Each song is kind of like a fingerprint
in that the exact frequencies and amplitudes are unique to it. To push it into the mold of another song - well I suppose it could get you into the ballpark but no better than putting an EQ on the stereo buss and fiddling with it for a minute.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. I saw it here in this thread. The GE version's "smart" ability.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=535659

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 02-22-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I'm aware of a few Match EQ plugins that offer the option of comparing the frequency profile of an external reference file with another input signal and compensating the latter to approximate the former. FabFilter has the Pro-Q 2, Logic Pro X has its own "in the box" Match EQ and I think iZotope has one too. The TDR Nova GE can also be applied as a Match EQ. I'd recommend importing the reference you want to use into your project to use the Nova GE for this purpose. It may just be my inexperience but I don't see another way to do it with this plugin. On the other hand the Logic Match EQ makes it really easy; just drag and drop the reference audio file into the right box and away you go. All that said; in my limited experience Match EQ plugins fall far short of duplicating the sound of a reference audio file.
The following quote from the Nova GE manual dovetails perfectly with my experiences using the Smart Ops without an external reference.
"Smart Operations analyze the audio input’s spectral properties and allow running Operations in dependence of this information. The system internally searches for the optimal Nova parameter settings for the case at hand, and sets Nova’s parameters accordingly."
Old 02-22-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Izotope Ozone 8 has Master Assistant, Track Referencing/Comparison and Tonal Balance Control features that try to automate things and use master references. I have not tried these features.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 02-22-2019, 06:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Izotope Ozone 8 has Master Assistant, Track Referencing/Comparison and Tonal Balance Control features that try to automate things and use master references. I have not tried these features.
These features work very well for mastering multi-instrument (full band) tracks. You might need to do a little work on solo guitar tracks.

My experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD