The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-26-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
There’s an effect block that changes the input impedance.
Is this the block for the pickup -piezo or magnetic?
Old 01-27-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I haven't found that one yet. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:47 AM

What's it called?

Quote:
Old 01-30-2020, 05:31 PM

Just ordered one. Needed a tuner pedal, and with some discounting, I was able to pick it up for $85, about the same as the tuners I was looking at. And I get the benefit of all of the other features. Looking forward to getting it and putting it through it’s paces.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I just read this interesting review of this pedal, and is definitely food for thought. This is a bit of the review.

"My disappointment with the A1X Four is mostly due to what I feel is poor customer support but also because of a defect in the device itself. The defect is that the AG effects (not patches) are all the same. Despite what zoom customer support says, they are not set to simulate the guitar bodies they are named after. In fact, the AG effects are simply gain, bass, mid and treble settings and they are all set exactly the same. The differences in the AG patches come from the other effects in the patches, not the AG effect. Why is that bad? Well, for one thing, all those AG effects take up space that could be used to load up additional effects to the A1X Four. (That's another problmem. I wish there was more space to load up more effects. You often have to delete effects to add other effects.) In fact, as they are, the user might as well simply deletethe AG effects (NOT patches) and free up some space. But Zoom customer support insists that the AG effects simulate various guitar bodies but they most definitely don't. How do I know? First, simply by ear. If you disable all the effects except the AG effects in each AG patch and compare them, there is no difference at all. I contacted Zoom and asked them about this but they insisted that they are different. So, while showing this to two other guitarists to see if they could detect any difference by ear (they didn't), one of them suggested an objective test to see for sure if there are any differences What we did was input the same pre-recorded guitar track into each of seven different AG patches that had all effects disabled except the AG effects. In other words, we were comparing ONLY the AG effects in each patch. We then output directly to my Zoom H6 recorder (which I really like) and then opened them in a pro DAW program. The graphs were precisely identical and my friend was even able to overlay the graphs and they were exactly the same.

Even so, Zoom insists they are different (?). I see three possible explanations for this: 1) Zoom is not comparing them properly - possibly comparing the AG patches, not the AG effects alone. 2) My unit is defective 3) Zoom is simply not admitting that there's a problem. As of today, I see that the A1X-Four is listed as "Not Currently Available" even though is just came on the market a couple months ago. (I very well may have been the first person to buy one and it was shipped the very first day that they were released by Zoom for sale.) Could it be that Zoom realizes that there is a problem and has temporarily stopped selling them while it deals with the issue and just won't admit that there's a problem? "

Pretty interesting...
Old 02-01-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I just read this interesting review of this pedal, and is definitely food for thought. This is a bit of the review.

"My disappointment with the A1X Four is mostly due to what I feel is poor customer support but also because of a defect in the device itself. The defect is that the AG effects (not patches) are all the same. Despite what zoom customer support says, they are not set to simulate the guitar bodies they are named after. In fact, the AG effects are simply gain, bass, mid and treble settings and they are all set exactly the same. The differences in the AG patches come from the other effects in the patches, not the AG effect. Why is that bad? Well, for one thing, all those AG effects take up space that could be used to load up additional effects to the A1X Four. (That's another problmem. I wish there was more space to load up more effects. You often have to delete effects to add other effects.) In fact, as they are, the user might as well simply deletethe AG effects (NOT patches) and free up some space. But Zoom customer support insists that the AG effects simulate various guitar bodies but they most definitely don't. How do I know? First, simply by ear. If you disable all the effects except the AG effects in each AG patch and compare them, there is no difference at all. I contacted Zoom and asked them about this but they insisted that they are different. So, while showing this to two other guitarists to see if they could detect any difference by ear (they didn't), one of them suggested an objective test to see for sure if there are any differences What we did was input the same pre-recorded guitar track into each of seven different AG patches that had all effects disabled except the AG effects. In other words, we were comparing ONLY the AG effects in each patch. We then output directly to my Zoom H6 recorder (which I really like) and then opened them in a pro DAW program. The graphs were precisely identical and my friend was even able to overlay the graphs and they were exactly the same.

Even so, Zoom insists they are different (?). I see three possible explanations for this: 1) Zoom is not comparing them properly - possibly comparing the AG patches, not the AG effects alone. 2) My unit is defective 3) Zoom is simply not admitting that there's a problem. As of today, I see that the A1X-Four is listed as "Not Currently Available" even though is just came on the market a couple months ago. (I very well may have been the first person to buy one and it was shipped the very first day that they were released by Zoom for sale.) Could it be that Zoom realizes that there is a problem and has temporarily stopped selling them while it deals with the issue and just won't admit that there's a problem? "

Pretty interesting...
The reviewer you are quoting may or may not be correct but what does it matter. If changing from one guitar model to another changes the sound then it is doing its job. This guy just does not like the fact it is uses effects that take up space he would like to use for something else. He paid $139.00 for this unit but wants it to have the capability of a $1200 unit.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Has anyone tried one of these? It's amazing and just $130. I also realized I can use it as a wireless mixer. I will post a few review to my YouTube channel in a week or so.

Aaron,
My apologies for asking you to put the effort in, but can you post an in depth review of this unit on your YouTube channel? You do such a great job and have the right equipment to provide a quality representation of what it can do. I’ve got one coming (I think the driver just dropped it on my porch) based on this thread and your short tidbits on your channel, but I wish there was an in depth overview with quality sound reproduction and in English. All of the other quality reviews are in Thai, Portuguese, etc. Great reviews, but my ignorant self has no clue what they are talking about.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 02-01-2020, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the review, jricc. I'd certainly agree that the various guitar models don't come close to sounding as good as my ToneDexter WaveMaps. Its too bad there isn't a neutral "model" block with a gain control which could be used to adapt to various input levels. In some cases I'm skipping the models altogether to just use the digital EQ, but it would be nice to have control of the gain level when I do that.

In my case, it's the various EQ options which I like the most about the A1 Four. I like the fact that I can create EQ patches for my multiple guitar/pickup rigs and STILL have a basic three band EQ available for "quick and dirty" EQ adjustments at the gig.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Aaron,
My apologies for asking you to put the effort in, but can you post an in depth review of this unit on your YouTube channel? You do such a great job and have the right equipment to provide a quality representation of what it can do. I’ve got one coming (I think the driver just dropped it on my porch) based on this thread and your short tidbits on your channel, but I wish there was an in depth overview with quality sound reproduction and in English. All of the other quality reviews are in Thai, Portuguese, etc. Great reviews, but my ignorant self has no clue what they are talking about.
Yes I will do this. I'll try to get it done next week. I am sure it will be a popular video!
Old 02-01-2020, 12:41 PM

Thanks! You’ll get a view and a like from me!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 02-01-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on the review, jricc. I'd certainly agree that the various guitar models don't come close to sounding as good as my ToneDexter WaveMaps. Its too bad there isn't a neutral "model" block with a gain control which could be used to adapt to various input levels. In some cases I'm skipping the models altogether to just use the digital EQ, but it would be nice to have control of the gain level when I do that.

In my case, it's the various EQ options which I like the most about the A1 Four. I like the fact that I can create EQ patches for my multiple guitar/pickup rigs and STILL have a basic three band EQ available for "quick and dirty" EQ adjustments at the gig.
You're welcome guitaniac. It wasn't my intention to agree or not agree with the person's review, just thought it was an interesting read. I also didn't want to knock the Zoom A1 Four, as I plan to get one in the near future.
I think your use of the A1 Four for eq patches is a great idea, and like you said, the ability to do the "quick and dirty adjustments is a plus.

Last edited by jricc; 02-01-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Using the A1 Four this morning for church. My setup is Rainsong CH-WS with an Anthem, DI into the mixing console. We use an iPad based wireless IEM monitoring setup.

I setup a patch with the Adamas model, Comp, Baggs EQ, AG Chorus and Hall Reverb loaded. I also moved the patches around so the ones I am going to use have multiple empty slots in between them and the rest to minimize the chance that I accidentally hit the pedal and am all of the sudden in some horrendous sounding patch. I really like having the stomp box mode so easily accessible to be able to turn the chorus and reverb off.

Is there a way through the software to delete all of the harmonica, violin, trumpet, etc, patches off of the unit? I tried doing it last night and they are all still on the pedal. Just don’t need them and prefer simplicity.

Edit: I came home and really dove into the software. Manually deleted all of the non-guitar patches (deleted all effects and renamed them “empty”) and rearranged the remaining patches to my liking. Turned on the “bank hold” setting and now I just have the 10 patches I would ever use available on the pedal.

1998 Very Sweet Wife

Last edited by Matt McGriff; 02-03-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:14 AM

Can you link us to this complete review?

Quote:

Pretty interesting...
Old 02-03-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
My disappointment with the A1X Four is mostly due to what I feel is poor customer support but also because of a defect in the device itself. The defect is that the AG effects (not patches) are all the same. Despite what zoom customer support says, they are not set to simulate the guitar bodies they are named after. In fact, the AG effects are simply gain, bass, mid and treble settings and they are all set exactly the same. The differences in the AG patches come from the other effects in the patches, not the AG effect. Why is that bad? Well, for one thing, all those AG effects take up space that could be used to load up additional effects to the A1X Four. (That's another problmem. I wish there was more space to load up more effects. You often have to delete effects to add other effects.) In fact, as they are, the user might as well simply deletethe AG effects (NOT patches) and free up some space. But Zoom customer support insists that the AG effects simulate various guitar bodies but they most definitely don't. How do I know? First, simply by ear. If you disable all the effects except the AG effects in each AG patch and compare them, there is no difference at all. I contacted Zoom and asked them about this but they insisted that they are different. So, while showing this to two other guitarists to see if they could detect any difference by ear (they didn't), one of them suggested an objective test to see for sure if there are any differences What we did was input the same pre-recorded guitar track into each of seven different AG patches that had all effects disabled except the AG effects. In other words, we were comparing ONLY the AG effects in each patch. We then output directly to my Zoom H6 recorder (which I really like) and then opened them in a pro DAW program. The graphs were precisely identical and my friend was even able to overlay the graphs and they were exactly the same.

Zoom claims on their website they are using IR technology to model various guitars. I doubt a major company like this would lie and potentially damage their customers trust.
Besides, they have been using this technology in their other products (e.g. Zoom A3). Yes, the models are on a subtle side but they help to bring out a bit of natural sound of a guitar.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Zoom claims on their website they are using IR technology to model various guitars. I doubt a major company like this would lie and potentially damage their customers trust.
Besides, they have been using this technology in their other products (e.g. Zoom A3). Yes, the models are on a subtle side but they help to bring out a bit of natural sound of a guitar.
Hi, Can anyone tell me please what the No 12 AG model ECunp lg is or represents

Thanks
Alan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification