The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Help me choose an Eastman OM

Friends,

I am ready to buy an Eastman OM. I always prefer pre owned over new where possible due to cheap skate tendencies

My local Eastman dealer has a pair of E20OM-TCs and an E20ooSS as well as a couple of dreads.

I confirmed that the oo is not for me, but one of the E20OMs especially was magnificent.

My main guitar is a Mcilroy Cedar/Walnut. For my second guitar, I would be happy with either mahogany or rosewood B/S. I am familiar with the tonal tendencies of each.

I think I am down to choosing either the E8OM or the E10OM-TC.

Here are my questions:

Is thermo cured worth the extra $$?

What are your thoughts on Adi with rosewood? (ie, the E20.) The TC one I played was magifique, but also $$$.

Does Eastman make a 12 fret OM/000 size? That would be holy grail.

My Mcilroy is gloriously overtoney, so I am looking for a more dry, fundamental tone, more Martin than Gibson. And yep, I understand Eastman has its own thing going.

I play all styles - fingerstyle, blues, pick strumming.

So I think I'm down to the E8 or the E10. If E20, then I reckon I need the TC to keep that Adi mellowed a bit.

Eastman owners, what are your thoughts?
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-08-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I have an Eastman E10OM-TC that's a fine guitar but am contemplating selling it just because I'm really a dread guy. One thing I've found interesting about the Eastman OM is it's short scale length. (24.9") Having owned Martin OM's in the past with standard scale length (25.4") I was a bit apprehensive but I actually like the shorter scale. And it certainly doesn't shy away from a flatpick either. Not sure about the E8 but the Thermo-Cured E10/20 OM's are great guitars in my opinion.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have an Eastman E10OM-TC that's a fine guitar but am contemplating selling it just because I'm really a dread guy. One thing I've found interesting about the Eastman OM is it's short scale length. (24.9") Having owned Martin OM's in the past with standard scale length (25.4") I was a bit apprehensive but I actually like the shorter scale. And it certainly doesn't shy away from a flatpick either. Not sure about the E8 but the Thermo-Cured E10/20 OM's are great guitars in my opinion.
Thanks Jim. I also enjoy a good short scale. I have had a 00028 and a 00018 and enjoyed them both. The Eastman I played yesterday (E20OM-TC) felt and sounded great. But yeah, that Adi/Hog 10 is really alluring to me.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:49 AM

I've got an E20om and really like it. Had the TC version been out when I got it, I'd have probably sprung for the upgrade. Those who have played both have reported it's worth the extra cash. I am, however, still very pleased with my e20, so that's what I'd recommend.

Except for one thing. You said you wanted a dry, fundamental tone and not much in the overtone dept. That, to me, means hog, not rosewood.

Any way you can find a place to play them side by side?

Oh, and the only 12 fret's they make, to the best of my knowledge, are the parlor and OO, which also have a wider nut width.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman OMs

I have a soft spot for Eastman OMs. I currently have two and previously had two others. I have a three y.o. E40OM and a newer E10OM-TC. I love the 40 but if an E20OM-TC would have been available, I may have purchased that one. The adder for torrefied Adirondack tops is around $250-$300, well worth the money. The two I have get equal play just depending on how I feel. A few months back I had to sell off several guitars to replenish savings due to a major house expense. I never listed the E40 for sale.

One of the sweatest I ever played was an E6OM sitka/mahogany that I unfortunately didn't buy. For about $800 it was an incredible guitar. They recently announced the release of the E6OM-TC - torrified sitka. I do not believe they are at dealers in the US yet, but soon. Also if you are into cedar, don't discount the E2OM-CD. I have never played one but posts from owners rave about it especially an all solid wood guitar for $500.

Eastman does not make a 12 fret OM. The closest is the E10/20 00. One last note, Eastman OMs are actually 000 with a 24.9" scale. I believe Martin's standard scale length for OMs is 25.4".

Adder - concerning your comment about dry tone - this describes the E10OM-TC all day long. Very balanced straight forward tone.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
I have a soft spot for Eastman OMs. I currently have two and previously had two others. I have a three y.o. E40OM and a newer E10OM-TC. I love the 40 but if an E20OM-TC would have been available, I may have purchased that one. The adder for torrefied Adirondack tops is around $250-$300, well worth the money. The two I have get equal play just depending on how I feel. A few months back I had to sell off several guitars to replenish savings due to a major house expense. I never listed the E40 for sale.

One of the sweatest I ever played was an E6OM sitka/mahogany that I unfortunately didn't buy. For about $800 it was an incredible guitar. They recently announced the release of the E6OM-TC - torrified sitka. I do not believe they are at dealers in the US yet, but soon. Also if you are into cedar, don't discount the E2OM-CD. I have never played one but posts from owners rave about it especially an all solid wood guitar for $500.

Eastman does not make a 12 fret OM. The closest is the E10/20 00. One last note, Eastman OMs are actually 000 with a 24.9" scale. I believe Martin's standard scale length for OMs is 25.4".

Adder - concerning your comment about dry tone - this describes the E10OM-TC all day long. Very balanced straight forward tone.
I wish my local dealer had a hog OM, that would settle it for me - to A/B it with the 20 series they have.

As I think about it, I probably need to wrestle between the 6 and the 10 series and get a hog out of my system, or clarify that a hog is indeed what I want. I loved the Martin 00018 I had - what a fab guitar.

Hearing that the 6 is now available in TC....might be just the ticket.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

What Tom C. said. The E10OM-TC sounds like a good match for your needs. As I mentioned in my PM with you, I own two Eastman OMs, but both Rosewood. Similar to his point, if TC was available in 2017, my E20OM-SB would have been a TC. I wouldn't wait for the E6OM-TC to arrive, since nobody knows when that will be (late 2020?).

I've been looking for a Mahogany OM to fill the last piece of my guitar collection puzzle (for now, ha!). For me, it's down to an E6OM and E10OM-TC (unless a standard E10OM came along at a great used price). The E10OM-TC weren't formally part of the Eastman lineup until this year (just limited runs previously), so there aren't too many in the wild.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
What Tom C. said. The E10OM-TC sounds like a good match for your needs. As I mentioned in my PM with you, I own two Eastman OMs, but both Rosewood. Similar to his point, if TC was available in 2017, my E20OM-SB would have been a TC. I wouldn't wait for the E6OM-TC to arrive, since nobody knows when that will be (late 2020?).

I've been looking for a Mahogany OM to fill the last piece of my guitar collection puzzle (for now, ha!). For me, it's down to an E6OM and E10OM-TC (unless a standard E10OM came along at a great used price). The E10OM-TC weren't formally part of the Eastman lineup until this year (just limited runs previously), so there aren't too many in the wild.
Yes, I've been impressed at how much Eastman E series hold their value.

Yep, I'm going to chase an E10OM-TC first, then an E6OM if that doesn't work out. Its an awful lot of guitar for the money - there is one on reverb right now for $700. Amazing.

The E20OM-TC I played yesterday was magnificent, but just too north of my budget.

What a fun journey and what a time we live in
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:27 PM

I just picked up a 10 for a great price on reverb. It is really something. Mostly a fingerstyle player but I wanted something that could stand up to strumming. The adi top has all of the headroom that I will ever need
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhunn View Post
I just picked up a 10 for a great price on reverb. It is really something. Mostly a fingerstyle player but I wanted something that could stand up to strumming. The adi top has all of the headroom that I will ever need
Yeah, I think honestly, I'm not going to be happy until I try one of their TC line and the 20 is out of reach price wise. The 10 looks fantastic. The one you bought is probably the one I was following on reverb - what a great deal
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
..............One thing I've found interesting about the Eastman OM is it's short scale length. (24.9") Having owned Martin OM's in the past with standard scale length (25.4") I was a bit apprehensive but I actually like the shorter scale...........
I wondering.....if the Eastman OM is 24.9 scale and the difference between Martin's OM and 000 is just the scale length (25.4" on the OM, 24.9" on the 000); why does Eastman call this model an OM instead of a 000?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:33 PM

Love my E6-OM. Played many, there were all good. E8-OM is a bit muddy. E10 and E20 are too bright for my taste. The Thermo cure are much more balanced. I would have put the extra €, if I had find one but they are quite rare in Europe. The one I have played were clearly worth the extra €. Note that the E40-OM is a killer guitar even non TC.

my 2 cents
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I have a 10-OM. Beautiful sounding guitar. The store where I purchased it had 2 10OM's. They both sounded lovely. The sales person was very patient with me. I was there for about 8 hours playing both of them. You'll enjoy whatever you get.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 07-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I wondering.....if the Eastman OM is 24.9 scale and the difference between Martin's OM and 000 is just the scale length (25.4" on the OM, 24.9" on the 000); why does Eastman call this model an OM instead of a 000?
Your guess is as good as mine?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:02 PM

The AC108CE-Ltd impressed me a lot when I played it.
https://www.soundpure.com/p/eastman-...-172-200/24489
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion