The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2021, 06:51 AM

Default vertigo

UGH! not sure if i can ask about this but , anybody here ever have vertigo ? I woke up with it about two weeks ago ;it comes and goes . First thing in the morning i have to sit o the edge of the bed for 15 seconds ,then it goes away. Then comes back every now and then... This morning ; I don't have it .. yet anyway.It does go away after 20 seconds or so.yesterday was real bad ,as it made me sick to my stomach for a while... thanks for letting me vent!
Old 01-23-2021, 07:41 AM

You should see a doctor (which I know you know). That said, it could be related to low blood sugar or dehydration. An ear infection too.

Have you started taking any new medication? That may also be a source.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:50 AM

Get checked by a doctor. Could be benign position vertigo or even worse Meniere's Disease. I have both.

For benign position vertigo check out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQR6b7CAiqk
Old 01-23-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

It could be MS. I don't know your age though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-23-2021, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I had a bout of vertigo last September that came out of nowhere, late one Saturday morning. Had to sit on our bed and try not to move a muscle for over four hours. It felt like a truly nasty hangover. Room spinning, nausea, burping, intestinal distress. All fun stuff. I took a motion sickness pill that seemed to help, and it didn't return - - until two nights ago in the middle of the night. This time wasn't so bad, and I took a motion sickness pill right away. But I'll be heading to the doctor soon to see what's going on. I've read about what others here have said could be causes: dehydration, low blood sugar, inner ear issues, and low blood pressure. So this has to be checked out. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by source3 View Post
Get checked by a doctor. Could be benign position vertigo or even worse Meniere's Disease. I have both.

For benign position vertigo check out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQR6b7CAiqk
Works for me. Had it several times. ENT doctor was no help, had no clue.

Epley Maneuver is what I use to cure positional vertigo. The calcium canaliths in the ear canal get out of place and mess with the stereocilia. The maneuver guides them to a location where they don't cause problems.

To prevent reoccurrence I move my head slowly when entering and exiting bed or other similar three-axis motions.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:08 AM

Vertigo can have any number of causes which can range from fairly benign to quite serious. Since you say you've been dealing with this for a couple of weeks, it's time for you to see a doctor.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-23-2021, 11:48 AM

Default Vertigo

I had something similar a handful of years ago. This may sound crazy but it was ear crystals, I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with them. There are some exercises you can do: moving your head etc. etc. I took some anti dizziness pills only a few times. They go away by themselves. Check it out, I thought it was crazy. Good luck. Vertigo is the worst.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:21 PM

yes i read something about ear crystals.. made an app with my doc... problem is ;it is virtual. what is he gonna tell me with this kind of visit? who knows.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver63 View Post
I had something similar a handful of years ago. This may sound crazy but it was ear crystals, I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with them. There are some exercises you can do: moving your head etc. etc. I took some anti dizziness pills only a few times. They go away by themselves. Check it out, I thought it was crazy. Good luck. Vertigo is the worst.

“Ear crystals” or otoliths are stones in the inner ear that get released and tumble across the the vestibular system, wreaking havoc with the balance center. I’ve had them repeatedly and it is just miserable. This can happen anytime,anywhere.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Yes, about ten yeas ago I woke up with extreme vertigo. Couldn't walk. Nausea. Went immediately to the doc. Wife thought I was having a heart attack. I knew it was not a heart attack but didn't know what was going on.

The clinic treated the symptoms. Meds for nausea but the vertigo lasted months. Turns out it was an vestibular neuritis that caused damage to my semi-circular canals in the inner ear. Did not get a diagnosis for about five years until I went to an ENT for a different issue. I told him about mybalance issue and he immediately did some screening tests and sent me for an MRI of the brain. At first he thought it was a brain tumor.

The vertigo is gone now (after about six months) but I have chronic disequilibrium. I am unsteady walking and the instability gets worse in crowds, at nightime and in locations with much visual stimulation. I will live with this malady for the rest of my life (its been ten years so far...). Physical Therapy with a vestibular/balance therapist helped but only so much...

Good luck to you. Get checked out and I hope it turns out to be something simple...
Old 01-24-2021, 05:29 PM

wow i guess i'm not alone with this! this morning was rough but yesterday i didn;t have it all day. have a doctors appointment by telemed, whatever thats going solve , probably nothing but we shall see.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:18 PM

I would start with the Epley strategy up front. You can google it and it is a fairly simple procedure. It does not require an MD. My mom was suffering from Vertigo and we found a local physical therapy office. They handled it in ten minutes. I was thankful. Your situation may not be that easy but it is a good start prior to MD's. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2021, 11:25 PM

I had it suddenly get me at work a few years ago. It was terrible. Couldn’t do anything for a few days. Physical therapy fixed it. Wife flinched really bad when her car windshield was hit with a rock and suffered it off/on for a few weeks. Again, PT fixed it.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:41 PM

My wife had it so bad, woke up morning with it and it didn't go away for days ...took her to the doctors they gave her some medication. But what really helped was she learned to sleep on her back and ever since she has not had another bout with it. It has been three years, she had never had it before that first time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic