The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Default Emerald with a non-glossy board...?

Check this out:
https://emeraldguitars.com/product/x20-qm-r-5140/

Looks like a fingerboard that is not polished to a gloss, and has a graininess to it. This is a stock guitar, no mention of anything different. I'm not a huge fan of the shiny fingerboards on Emerald's instruments. This looks a little funny in their ultra-bright lighting, but probably more natural in normal light.

I wonder if it's rocklite or something similar? I asked Kevin and got an auto-reply saying everyone's out til Tuesday after Easter.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 AM

That is interesting for sure. I thought Emerald used Parker fretboards with a polyester finish on all their guitars. I wonder what that is. I really do like their fretboards though I find them really smooth, makes bending strings really easy, especially higher gauge strings.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Guest 928

Alistair did use Parker fret boards early in the game, but started making his own many years ago. Emerald has moved way beyond Parker in terms of fret board variety.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Anticipation Junkie

My understanding is that Emerald guitars are all molded as one piece which suggests to me that the fretboard on this guitar has been manually prepared a bit differently to achieve this particular finish.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:03 PM

If you really wanted a matte finish on the fret board, that could probably be added during the build, before fretting. (Satin necks are actually shot as a glossy clear coat, then sanded to make them "matte"). You could also do it yourself after the fact with 0000 steel wool or the right grade of Scotchbrite pads. It would be very hard to get consistent results, especially the areas right up against the frets.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:08 AM

Kevin's response:

"We have switched to using a pure carbon matt finish on the fretboard, it looks
much better in real life, very cool."
Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Kevin's response:

Hey that is some good news! It doesn't bother me one way or the other but i prefer the look of the matte....especially on the woody tops.

Thanks for posting
Old 04-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Kevin's response:

That is interesting indeed. I think I prefer the look of their normal fretboards but that's just me. I wonder why they decided to change.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:15 PM

I asked if it was still polyester over CF - apparently not.

"We are using the raw carbon fibre now, we don't use the polyester anymore on the fretboard."

I don't see visible weave in the photos, but maybe it's there. I wonder what will happen with the guitars in queue...
Old 04-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I asked if it was still polyester over CF - apparently not.

"We are using the raw carbon fibre now, we don't use the polyester anymore on the fretboard."

I don't see visible weave in the photos, but maybe it's there. I wonder what will happen with the guitars in queue...
Interesting. I wonder if they'd still offer the polyester as an option? I think I'd prefer it for a standard carbon finish, but this grainy look is perhaps more appropriate for a veneered top.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Interesting. I wonder if they'd still offer the polyester as an option? I think I'd prefer it for a standard carbon finish, but this grainy look is perhaps more appropriate for a veneered top.
Yeah that's a good question. Still can't help but wonder why they would make that change.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:59 PM

I've always thought Emerald's gloss fretboards (and bridges) perfectly complimented their overall sleek and nontraditional design. And it plays really slick. Though I'm sure that brushed plays equally-well.

I suspect that most customers would prefer a brushed fretboard, since it looks/feels like the ebony they're used to...and maybe some wonder if the gloss is sticky/slowing--not at all the case, in my experience.

My brain expects fretboards and bridges to have the same color / finish, but that's tradition, and Emerald isn't about tradition anyway. And I'm guessing the difference doesn't stand out like in the pics. Emerald's product pics are super bright and saturated, and don't represent reality (sorry...though TBH, a minute of post-work in Photoshop could correct this. )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber