The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-31-2019, 05:45 PM
Guest 33123

Default rough practice tonight

My wife says you have to have the bad practices to know when the good ones happen. That's for sure.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 03-31-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:38 AM

I've been at this 4 years and am still waiting for a good practice. That's an exaggeration but you know what I mean. This is a humbling pursuit.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 04-06-2019, 11:35 AM

A couple of years ago our band had awful rehearsal the weekend before a gig. It was so bad I wondered if we should have canceled. The bass player said don't worry about it. Turned out to be o e of our most memorable gigs and we got a lot of positive feedback from the audience.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-06-2019, 11:56 AM

I've observed that the last rehearsal before a gig is usually a disappointment, and often band members start adding, subtracting, coming up with new parts and arrangement "because they're better than the way we've been doing it", and generally just causing confusion. We don't rehearse all week if we have a weekend gig. If we don't know our setlist by then, a couple more hours won't help.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
My wife says you have to have the bad practices to know when the good ones happen. That's for sure.
Years ago, when I started recording, I realized very quickly how something that I falsely believed was ready for recording revealed all of the little issues that one doesn't always hear while playing, especially if singing at the same time. That was the motivation to "clean" up my playing and make sure that every note was hit as solidly as possible. Listening to a playback can be very painful.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
A couple of years ago our band had awful rehearsal the weekend before a gig. It was so bad I wondered if we should have canceled. The bass player said don't worry about it. Turned out to be o e of our most memorable gigs and we got a lot of positive feedback from the audience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I've observed that the last rehearsal before a gig is usually a disappointment, and often band members start adding, subtracting, coming up with new parts and arrangement "because they're better than the way we've been doing it", and generally just causing confusion. We don't rehearse all week if we have a weekend gig. If we don't know our setlist by then, a couple more hours won't help.

This has been my experience as well. You can expect the dress rehearsal to fall apart and then have a spectacular performance. If the dress rehearsal goes too well, I start getting nervous.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 04-06-2019, 07:00 PM

I don't perform, but I've noticed a "bad" practice session often yields good results. Maybe because it makes me concentrate more?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write