The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-29-2019, 11:31 AM

Earl, I have had a few surgeries including shoulder and I am happy for you that the surgery went well. Hope the inflammation goes down quickly and make a fast recovery. I am sure your are getting pretty good at left-handed toothbrushing, eating, and everything else by now... How about a lefty guitar in the future for you, Earl?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Hey, GL, next time, ship it to one of us in US. We will ship it to you free after multple, very thorough quality inspections by many different caring hands. May take a month or two...

Love the Beech veneer!!
Thanks for the comment and suggestion. My only worry with that plan is if the guitars get intercepted by Kramster!

Earl thanks for taking the time to comment. We're all wishing you a speedy recovery. You'll be back playing in no time.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Default Another observation

Just wanted to add a little more info on the volume differences between the x20 & x30. I consider myself a light/medium strummer and a gentle finger picker. So playing the x20 like this it was, to my ears and to a DB meter, louder than the 30. For finger picking it was the x30 that was slightly louder. When you dig in hard (something I realistically wouldn't do) the x30 was indeed louder. I did get the wife to sit next to the DB meter as another reference. I thought this was interesting and worth sharing, though, don't let it be a deal breaker if you're considering one of those models. Never mistake louder for better. I'm not talking night and day difference but a difference nonetheless. These are 2 awesome guitars and I'm quite thankful to have both.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:32 PM

Default X20/X30 volume difference figured out

For those who were concerned about my X20 being louder than my X30 I figured out why today. One word...strings. My X20 came with D'addario EXP's (light) while my X30 had Ernie Ball medium gauge aluminum bronze. Normally elixirs are my string of choice but I decided to try the D'addario light/medium (bluegrass) strings this time. Strung both guitars up and the X30 is indeed louder, the way it should be. Not only did I not like the tone of those Ernie Ball Aluminum bronze strings, it looks like they have considerably less volume, at least on my X30. I also have a bunch of John Pearse strings on order as I've never tried them before. Hope this clears things up.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Smile Strings...

Strings. There it is. The secret (not) ingredient...

I tried the EB aluminum strings. Yuk. Sounded dead, and turned my fingertips Grey! Put Elixir's back on asap!

Glad the bigger one is louder, so all is right with physics!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Strings. There it is. The secret (not) ingredient...

I tried the EB aluminum strings. Yuk. Sounded dead, and turned my fingertips Grey! Put Elixir's back on asap!

Glad the bigger one is louder, so all is right with physics!

Cheers

Paul
Yeah I can certainly say I'm not a fan of those EB aluminum bronze strings. No matter what string I try I always end up back with Elixirs. I must say though I'm digging those D'addario EXP bluegrass set at the moment but can't wait for the John Pearse strings to get here. And yes my X30 is glad to have its volume back, the way it should be.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful Emerald X-20, Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Beautiful Emerald X-20, Enjoy!
Thanks Spruce. Now if I only had my Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 I would be g2g!
Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM

I finally received and installed my Schatten HFN Artist pickup. The K&K soundboard prep as illustrated in the pic on the first page of the thread was not a hindrance after all. As a matter of fact it's not even needed for this pickup as it mounts perfectly in my X30 as well and that one doesn't have the soundboard prep. I'm dual sourcing the HFN with the Fishman Matrix UST in my X20 as I already have one on hand, and I also find of all UST's that one doesn't seem to impact the unplugged tone of the guitar.

I installed the Anthem system in the X20 while I was waiting for the Schatten to show up so I recorded some clips with it and I'll do the same with the Schatten so I'll have an apples to apples comparison video of the Anthem vs the Schatten in the same guitar. For me it's not even close the Schatten is miles better than the Anthem!

I also plan on doing a comparison video of the Schatten vs a mic and a X20 vs X30 tonal comparison video during the next few weeks whenever I can get time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber