The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-27-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Congrats! Now keep working down the Emerald diminished scale; X10...X7....
Steel you're a funny guy that made me laugh. There certainly won't be an X7 in my future but X10 does sound intriguing. Who knows what the future holds.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revj View Post
I would love to hear a deeper comparison between the two for I am debating which one I should get. Sound samples would be so awesome as well through the same mic.
I know this dreamer would love that!
The X20 and X30 are both really awesome guitars. I haven't had much time with the X20 so far, and I don't want the new guitar fever to disrupt my judgment, but so far, without going into too much detail I think the X20 is the safer play for an all arounder.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Cool guitar! It goes well with the royal ebony. I considered almost that exact veneer for my build...did you expect it to turn out so amber? Given the dry photos I expected a really light guitar, but they had a beech X30 show up in-stock and it looked about like yours.

I gotta say, that soundboard prep looks a bit sloppy...something slapped on with a putty knife and then crudely smoothed. Does it even cover the area you need for your HFN?

This veneer turned out to be cracked.
I am curious where you got that pic as that looks identical to the original I selected that they later told me was unusable. And yes, while I'm happy with how the veneer turned out I was definitely expecting it to be a lighter color.

I agree on the soundboard prep that's why I chose to post a pic. It's not as neat looking as others who posted. If it causes me any grief installing the HFN I will post for sure. I have the pickup on order so I'm not exactly sure when that will be.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
That would seem to be odd....yes? That the x20 would be louder than the x30? Can anyone else with a 20 and 30 confirm?

Todd in Chicago
Sorry for the multiple posts it's too tedious to do multiple quotes from a phone.

Yes I agree it does seem odd. It's quite noticeable though so I'm glad I wasn't imagining it. I do have my X30 currently reverted to stock except the bigger strings. I also put the full anthem back in (temporarily it won't be staying) and that most definitely affects the sound. Even still though the X30 has a much deeper body I would expect to be louder despite these things. There's going to be more to come on this.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I am curious where you got that pic as that looks identical to the original I selected that they later told me was unusable. And yes, while I'm happy with how the veneer turned out I was definitely expecting it to be a lighter color.

I agree on the soundboard prep that's why I chose to post a pic. It's not as neat looking as others who posted. If it causes me any grief installing the HFN I will post for sure. I have the pickup on order so I'm not exactly sure when that will be.
GL - that photo came from Kevin @ Emerald. There may have been a few slices from the same log that looked very similar but not quite identical.

He sent me this one too...does this also look familiar? Not as exciting a grain pattern.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
GL - that photo came from Kevin @ Emerald. There may have been a few slices from the same log that looked very similar but not quite identical.

He sent me this one too...does this also look familiar? Not as exciting a grain pattern.
No I haven't seen that one before. Kevin did warn me that the spalted beech is more delicate than their other veneers but I liked it and nobody seems to pick it so I decided to take a chance. They did a nice job with it anyways I don't see any flaws in it.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Thank you all for your comments. One thing I forgot to mention (non guitar related) in my original post is that for some reason I never got raped by customs this time. No charges at all. When I got my X30 the customs fees ruined part of my excitement that day. Maybe they remembered my name and took pity on me this time, who knows.
Guitars are Zero Rated. No import duties on guitars. Unless...

Guitars with electronics are rated differently. You ordered this one sans pick-up so that might be the difference.

I'm waiting on Emerald to finish my Chimaera, which Kevin says is done except for fitting the pickups. Given how much it already cost me, paying any import duty (if required) is going to suck.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-27-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

Guitars with electronics are rated differently. You ordered this one sans pick-up so that might be the difference.

I'm waiting on Emerald to finish my Chimaera, which Kevin says is done except for fitting the pickups. Given how much it already cost me, paying any import duty (if required) is going to suck.
Wow really. I wish I knew this before. Now that Anthem system that I don't like cost me a pretty penny.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:09 PM

Honestly I'm more confused than ever.

From Emerald's FAQ; Guitars are Zero Rated:

https://emeraldguitars.com/faq/

I thought the Harmonized tariff schedule had a different rate for amplified guitars, but I just tried looking through it and my brain hurts now.

The Tariff schedule seems to say that guitars under over $100 are 8.7% (amplified or not)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 03-27-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

As far as I know I did not have to pay anything for my Emerald X20 - 12 which has a pickup system in it. I live in the United States in Chicago.

Todd in Chicago
Old 03-27-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

When my X20 came, there was no duty but I got charged $400 is sales taxes. That hurt. Wasn't expecting that.
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
When my X20 came, there was no duty but I got charged $400 is sales taxes. That hurt. Wasn't expecting that.
I took a pic of the delivery notice that they left on my door that day. I just looked at it again and nearly cried. They nailed me for more than $400 On that slip next to the amount someone wrote the word "customs" in pen. I have the box that my X30 came in stored away in my attic. I'll have a look at it tomorrow as the slip on that box might have better detail on what the actual charges are for. I'm currently leaning more toward GST than customs fees. Either way I got raped by someone and it wasn't enjoyable!
Old 03-28-2019, 01:08 AM

I recently bought an electric guitar out of Canada. The seller--a dealer in Vancouver--told me that there's no duty under $800. This was less, and no duty. May be different from Ireland....
Old 03-28-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaTambien View Post
I recently bought an electric guitar out of Canada. The seller--a dealer in Vancouver--told me that there's no duty under $800. This was less, and no duty. May be different from Ireland....
I live in Canada and I just read a little blog on how they calculate customs/duties it can get confusing. It looks like the price can vary depending on what province it's going to as well. Oh well at least I escaped this time.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Hmmm. I've bought two Emeralds from Ireland, a guitar from Canada, and a guitar from Japan all new and I was never charged import duty/tax. (And now that I've said that, it's going to happen with my incoming X20. Doh!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber