The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Exactly.

My thing would be, if you want to get the fretboard down...pick a tuning...one...to start.
Of course. And, if you know that scales are made of intervals and learn to see and play the intervals on the fretboard, you can translate that tuning into another one. But, if someone only memorizes individual note names, as some do, I think that's much harder to do.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 03-25-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

As noted there are numerous was of mastering the guitar. One way is to immerse yourself in different types of basic guitar music. Like old time country, old country and bluegrass guitar music. Pay attention to the similarities in the chord structures and scales used. Then move on to old time blues songs and again pay attention to the similarities. Go on to country rags and show tunes. Look at some T-Bone Walker chords in his blues. I feel the biggest problem in learning theory is it becomes to much to learn to fast. It just isn't fun. It's like looking at the ocean with an accomplished swimmer and contemplating learning to swim. It seems you're asking how and why. Many people live good lives not learning physics or chemistry. Others are interested in the how and why.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Technical and rote memory is like memorizing the location of typewriter keys. That alone does not mean you will know how to type anything worthwhile reading.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Technical and rote memory is like memorizing the location of typewriter keys. That alone does not mean you will know how to type anything worthwhile reading.
Sure, and I don't think anybody is suggesting otherwise.

But when you sit down to write the great American novel, it's nice not to have to think about the mechanics of the typing part.

I still think there's some things just worth memorizing. The fretboard is one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Sure, and I don't think anybody is suggesting otherwise.

But when you sit down to write the great American novel, it's nice not to have to think about the mechanics of the typing part.

I still think there's some things just worth memorizing. The fretboard is one of them.
Of course, however I got from the OP post that he could play things well enough but that the musical meaning (broad concepts) behind what he was playing was rather vague.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-25-2019, 04:09 PM

I highly suggest starting with a basic guitar music book such as Mel Bay Guitar Method Grade 1. It starts you out at ground zero and it explains basic music notation and how read notes, time signature, keys, etc.

You also learn the fretboard as you go through the practice exercises. With your playing experience you will have no problem with the physical aspect of playing that first timers usually have.

Good luck and have lots of fun.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I can think of a melody and play it within a few minutes. I'm also a finger picker and a few years younger.

It's the ear. I've never taken a lesson nor read a tab. It's all ear development. I can listen to a melody and have the chord progression figured out before I pick up the guitar. I know the notes of the fret board by ear. I also know them by name and where they are but that was a curiosity that came well after learning them by ear.

If you have not trained your ear to lead your hands then you'll forever be a slave to visual aids such as scores and tabs. I would immediately dispense with any and all visual aids and focus on my ear if I were you. It's never too late and so much more rewarding than relying on the eyes.
A lot of people who can hear a melody and figure out the chords to play by ear don't seem to understand that many of us simply can't do it.
It seems to be an innate ability that some people have.
if you don't have it, you are better of learning by other means (such as tabs)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write