The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Radiusing the braces with a hand plane

I thought this might be interesting to some of you. I picked this up somewhere a while back, don’t really know who to credit for it, but I’ve been using this kind of jig for a while and it never let me down

Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Looks clever. I have a somewhat similar fixture that I made about 25 years ago that uses a block plane and planes 3 or 4 braces at once.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:37 PM

I like that - clean and simple. Thanks for posting!

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 PM

We also carry jigs bigger than that one, that allow you to bend the wood as per your link and pass it through a circular saw or bandsaw, so instead of ten minutes planing, 15 second saw cut

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 PM

I built a 'jig' 25 years ago. It's a simple 2x4 piece of pine with a scrap piece of 1/16th inch veneer glued to the end of it as a stop. Simply mark the arch on the brace, mount the jig in a vice and plane it off to the line.

That's a nice little jig he has set up but I'm not sure why he doesn't hold it in a vice.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
We also carry jigs bigger than that one, that allow you to bend the wood as per your link and pass it through a circular saw or bandsaw, so instead of ten minutes planing, 15 second saw cut

Steve

Hi Steve, I can also pass the jig through a power tool since it’s square and straight, but I prefer the surface I get with the hand plane. If I’m doing loads of braces I go through the table saw and give one pass with the plane before taking the brace out of the jig.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I built a 'jig' 25 years ago. It's a simple 2x4 piece of pine with a scrap piece of 1/16th inch veneer glued to the end of it as a stop. Simply mark the arch on the brace, mount the jig in a vice and plane it off to the line.

That's a nice little jig he has set up but I'm not sure why he doesn't hold it in a vice.

Hi! This way I don’t have to mark anything or plane to a line, plus having the jig on its side on the table avoids any potential problems with squareness. There is no chance for me to tilt or twist the plane as I cut.
I could have pins on the table to hold it steady, but it’s not hard to just hold it by hand... plus a bit of workout isn’t that bad

Btw that’s me in the video!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Oh I get it now, you press fit in the prescribed arch. I missed that part. Makes sense.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:14 PM

These methods will not produce a radius, technically speaking, because they create a spline curve rather than a circular curve. The difference may be too slight to matter.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM

I hope so...
Old 02-09-2019, 02:41 PM

Of course you’re right Howard! But when I flip the planed braces onto the jig the curve is spot on... even cross checking with a radiused dish confirms the accuracy of the curve. I think the approximation would be problematic on tighter radiuses...
Old 02-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post

Steve

Or, a couple of passes over a jointer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair