The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I tried the Ernie Ball AB on the Shorty- not good sounding to my ears at all. They came off very quickly.
Doh! I'll be trying them on the X30. If I don't like them i'll put the elixirs right back on. They're supposed to be bright strings, which I don't mind, hopefully it comes down to just tonal preference. I have a good feeling about them.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Aluminum, being non magnetic wouldn't work very well with a magnetic pickup.
Bronze isn't magnetic either, but since phosphor bronze strings work with magnetic pickups, I assume it's the steel core that the pickup senses, rather than the windings… which I also assume would be the case with aluminum bronze strings.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Default monel

Coudn't find the post, but thanks for recommending Monel light. I put 'em on my X7 and noticed the base had more meat to it. Looked at the gauges; 54-12. That might be the reason, but I feel like I have a different guitar and love the sound. I tried Martin Lifespan 2.0 light on OF660, didn't like it first a few days and now I must have grown to like it. It sounds lovely. Now I can't wait to try Lifespan 2.0 Medium on X7. What do you know, I have no standard, I like 'em all! What a wonderful world we live in!! Have a wonderful Sunday, Everyone!!
Old 03-17-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Coudn't find the post, but thanks for recommending Monel light. I put 'em on my X7 and noticed the base had more meat to it. Looked at the gauges; 54-12. That might be the reason, but I feel like I have a different guitar and love the sound. I tried Martin Lifespan 2.0 light on OF660, didn't like it first a few days and now I must have grown to like it. It sounds lovely. Now I can't wait to try Lifespan 2.0 Medium on X7. What do you know, I have no standard, I like 'em all! What a wonderful world we live in!! Have a wonderful Sunday, Everyone!!
Happy Sunday to you as well

Do you have the original X7 or the new version?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been liking Monels on my new X7 as well, after not liking them much on my older generation X7. But I'm a couple days into trying TI Plectrums and I'm liking them at least as much, maybe more. I'm playing the 11-50 TI's and they feel really light, so I might try 12s next string change, but those jump all the way up from 50 to 59 on the low E, which seems like a pretty radical jump.

But yeah, there are a lot of strings that seem to work with the new X7...

-Ray
Old 03-17-2019, 01:15 PM

Steelvibe,
Thanks and I have Dec/'18 Coco. I like it a lot. Intonation is slightly off but did not want to have extensions on my saddle and redoing the frets is too costly for something I would probably not even notice.

Ray,
TI Plectrum, I can't wait to try out. 59 sounds gut-shakin, let's try it... on yours! Just kidding, TI is definitely on my waiting list maybe even before LS 2.0 Medium. Thank you, Ray, for the recommendation and all your other posts I enjoy reading!
Old 03-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Steelvibe,
Thanks and I have Dec/'18 Coco. I like it a lot. Intonation is slightly off but did not want to have extensions on my saddle and redoing the frets is too costly for something I would probably not even notice.

Ray,
TI Plectrum, I can't wait to try out. 59 sounds gut-shakin, let's try it... on yours! Just kidding, TI is definitely on my waiting list maybe even before LS 2.0 Medium. Thank you, Ray, for the recommendation and all your other posts I enjoy reading!
I've been running Ti Plectrums 12-59 on my X7. Like them quite a bit. If you check out the post I did with the comparison vs my Rainsong and my Breedlove OM which has 12-53 elixirs might give you an idea. Feeling wise to be honest they don't feel particularly heavy compared to the full scale 53 on the Breedlove
Old 03-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I've tried the Plectrums on all of my guitars I think, they never disappoint. From a .056 to a .059 sounds huge, but we are talking about 3 1/1000's. That's not huge. LOL It has never caused an issue on any of my guitars. The only reason I stopped purchasing the Plectrums was the price. I've been looking for something almost as good at a better price. The LS 2.0's are close, but they do not sound like the Plectrums. I was not a fan of the Retros on the new X7, dull with no dynamics. But they are magic on my Martin 000. Good Luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber