The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Default Home Studio talk

I thought we could continue the discussion of home studio here, where I can continue to suck up s'more input. Maybe we can reply here as long as y'all are still willing. I've got some general recording technique questions as you've prolly read.
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Ask away. I'd also suggest you look though all the info at homerecording.com. The forums there are filled with good advice (mostly) and knowledgable people.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

This is indeed the place to ask such questions. I am new to all of this and have learned a lot from the folks on this forum.

Todd
Old 05-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Right now I'm leaning towards the UR 44 and a pair of E70's... I seem to be fond of the idea of 2 mics. I'm using a purchased version of mixcraft 6 I'm very familiars with it. I'm sure there is better DAW out there but I should be able to get my feet wet with the suggested above.
Is it common to pan each mic when mixing? I understand that phasing issues my occur the farther you separate the two mics.
The 3-1, is that an "at least rule" the further away they get can you dial the gain in to bring line input more consistent prior to mix. Or is compression/other effects used to normalize the mix? Maybe I can start my own thread so we don't get this one to fouled up.

Transferred this over... Looking to gets some mics and an interface. Discussing DAW software and mics/setup
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
.....The 3-1, is that an "at least rule" ......
I consider the 3:1 rule (spaced pair micing) as a guideline. As the distance between the mics is increased, relative to the distance from the guitar to the mics, the phasing issues can be reduced.

However, it's a bunch of tradeoffs. For example, if you decide the best mic locations for the tone you want breaks the rule, then what do you do? If you move the mics closer to the guitar while keeping the distance between them you might have issues with proximity effect. If you increase the distance between the mics while keeping the distance to the guitar the same you might not pick up the tonal sweet spot you want.

For me, I usually use spaced pair stereo micing and relax/ignore the 3:1 rule. I usually have my mics in the range of 16-22" from the guitar and the distance between them is usually 30", sometimes less. I don't playback in mono, so that's a non-issue. I usually put one mic panned pretty much hard left and the other pretty much hard right, so that helps. Micing in X-Y could be used, but I've never liked the sound I get as well as a spaced pair.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-06-2014, 05:46 PM

Looking forward or the day I get try out these techniques. Any insight on raising the gain to compensate for a mic that is moved further away?
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Looking forward or the day I get try out these techniques. Any insight on raising the gain to compensate for a mic that is moved further away?
You can try that and it depends what kind of room your recording in. Just keep in mind that when you increase the gain sometimes noise is also increased. Try a bunch of different set ups and see which you like better. I always mic in stereo using the XY config and then pan hard left and right. Sometimes I'll stack another take for a bigger and richer sound.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When moving the mic further away it's advantageous to have a mic with high sensitivity and low self noise, and a preamp with low noise at high gain. Also, as was already stated, the effects from the room will increase and may be good or bad.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
When moving the mic further away it's advantageous to have a mic with high sensitivity and low self noise, and a preamp with low noise at high gain. Also, as was already stated, the effects from the room will increase and may be good or bad.
Makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1971 View Post
You can try that and it depends what kind of room your recording in. Just keep in mind that when you increase the gain sometimes noise is also increased. Try a bunch of different set ups and see which you like better. I always mic in stereo using the XY config and then pan hard left and right. Sometimes I'll stack another take for a bigger and richer sound.
You double the existing track or a second track maybe played a little different? Doubling the track with a copy wouldn't do anything for the sound in theory right? Wouldn't time need to be shifted or adjusted with fx in order to change anything.

Been watching videos about cubasis, looks very well built. Learned a lot from the lessons. Anyone have a preference to studio monitors?
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
....... Anyone have a preference to studio monitors?
Equator D5's

Old 05-07-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Makes sense

You double the existing track or a second track maybe played a little different? Doubling the track with a copy wouldn't do anything for the sound in theory right? Wouldn't time need to be shifted or adjusted with fx in order to change anything.
I when I stack them I usually play exactly the same way. Stacking guitars makes them sound bigger and richer. That's the sound I'm usually looking for in my songs. I like the acoustic guitar to drive the song so stacking helps me accomplish that. After I record both takes (in stereo of course) then I use Elastic audio (in Pro Tools) to snap them to the grid and/or lay them back. Sometimes individual waves forms need adjustment so I'll go in and move those as well. Then I Eq and compress....
Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 AM

If you're just getting started in recording (not sure if that is true in your case ?) I would concentrate on using one mic for now. Most of my better efforts at getting a nice recorded tone have come from using one condenser mic, and pointing it at a spot between the 12 and 14th frets. I find there are so many other variables which affect that tone, before considering bring a second mic into the equation.

My biggest limiting factor is the crappy space I record in. For that reason I tend to have the mic fairly close to my guitar (no more than 6 or 7 inches away) and add some subtle reverb and compression to fill out the tone a little.

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I consider the 3:1 rule (spaced pair micing) as a guideline. As the distance between the mics is increased, relative to the distance from the guitar to the mics, the phasing issues can be reduced.

However, it's a bunch of tradeoffs. For example, if you decide the best mic locations for the tone you want breaks the rule, then what do you do? If you move the mics closer to the guitar while keeping the distance between them you might have issues with proximity effect. If you increase the distance between the mics while keeping the distance to the guitar the same you might not pick up the tonal sweet spot you want.

For me, I usually use spaced pair stereo micing and relax/ignore the 3:1 rule. I usually have my mics in the range of 16-22" from the guitar and the distance between them is usually 30", sometimes less. I don't playback in mono, so that's a non-issue. I usually put one mic panned pretty much hard left and the other pretty much hard right, so that helps. Micing in X-Y could be used, but I've never liked the sound I get as well as a spaced pair.
3:1 rule does not apply to recording solo guitar. One earlier thread http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=282231

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
3:1 rule does not apply to recording solo guitar. One earlier thread http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=282231
It does if you have one mic near the guitar and one out in the room.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the link to the thread discussing the 3:1 rule relative to micing acoustic guitars. I appreciate the contributions from you guys that really know what you are talking about; it allows me to absorb some of the theory and practical issues relative to recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD