The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Default X20 String change time - Whaddya Think?

I went through the various threads on strings for the X20 and saw no obvious answer, so I thought I'd check for reactions. Here are the choices sitting on my desk in front of me:

Martin Retro Light 12 (Monel)
Straight Up Strings PB light
Martin Titanium light 12 (Nickel)
Martin Flex Core SP Custom light (PB)
Elixer nanoweb custom light (80/20)
Thomastik Infield Plectrum AC111

The D'Addario's that came with it are OK. I found them a bit bass-heavy but I really like the chime on the high notes up the neck.

I play mostly fingerstyle with no picks, and mostly as vocal accompaniment. Standard tunings. Almost never amplified. For styles of music, think Glennwillow but not nearly as good.

Specific question even if you have no opinion on anything else - Are the Thomastiks or Titaniums a poor choice for this guitar? Kinda pricey to test if someone already knows better.

Thanks for any/all opinions
Old 04-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Of the strings I've tried on my Emeralds (the new X7 I own now and the older X7 and the X20 I had until recently), I've found the Martin Retros my string of choice except on the older X7, mostly because of the way it's soundhole projected. But I tend to like a mellower string. I was also OK with Elixr Nanowebs, but I was using PB, not 80/20. Tried the Thomastik Infield Plectrum briefly but they were a little too mellow, even for me. I didn't like the stock strings that came on them much at all...

-Ray
Old 04-22-2019, 11:29 AM

I'm normally not a fan of D'addario acoustic strings and I have used the EXP strings on other guitars in the past but I must say I really did like the stock EXP strings that came on my X20. My first string change I went with Elixir Nanoweb Lights but I only left them on for a week or so before putting D'addario EXP bluegrass gauge on there which I really like. I also have a bunch of John Pearse strings on order which I'm really eager to try, especially the pure nickel.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of the TI Plectrums, to me they are a bit mellow with a lot of depth, but I use a pick, so I'm not sure if they are bright enough for a finger style player?? I find the D'addario's a bit hard on my left hand. I love the Retro's on wood guitars, but not so much on the Emeralds. I may be in the minority for that. Let us know what you find. I do really like the Martin Lifespan 2.0's on the X20. A nice bold sound with depth and resonance.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I have D'Addario Nickel Bronze Lights on my X20, and am very happy with them.

I prefer the sound to the stock EXPs - they seem more mellow, and richer in tone to my ears - and I much prefer the feel.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-22-2019, 01:14 PM

For my X20 I like
Dogal Nightclub V25 Bronze Flatwound
011 - .014 - .016w - .022 - .030 - .042
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 04-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
For my X20 I like
Dogal Nightclub V25 Bronze Flatwound
011 - .014 - .016w - .022 - .030 - .042
Interesting - I hadn't heard of Dogal strings before. For those who don't know, they're Italian. Strings By Mail is the US distributor.

How did you come across them?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Interesting - I hadn't heard of Dogal strings before. For those who don't know, they're Italian. Strings By Mail is the US distributor.

How did you come across them?

I like flat wound strings and there aren't many choices for acoustic guitar.
I first heard about Dogal strings on the www.jazzguitar.be site, but they were too pricey for me.

A few months ago String By Mail had Dogal Nightclub strings on sale, so I got a few sets.

I really like these Dogal strings, my second choice of bronze flatwound strings are Galli AJF1047.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 04-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Tried the Retros

Thanks for the responses.

Tried the Retros - kind of working my way up the price chain. Haven't had much chance to play them yet but first impression is I don't like them as much as the aging D'addarios. Definitely a more mellow tone. I kind of miss the chime on the high strings played above the fifth fret. Did subdue the bass, though, which I kind of wanted. Easier on the fingers as well, I think.

I'll give them a few days to settle in and then decide what I really think. Give 'em a try with finger picks as well. If we don't bond, next up are the Straight Up and then the nanowebs. If I get an "Oh Wow" moment with any of these I'll pass it on.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Tried the Retros - kind of working my way up the price chain. Haven't had much chance to play them yet but first impression is I don't like them as much as the aging D'addarios. Definitely a more mellow tone. I kind of miss the chime on the high strings played above the fifth fret. Did subdue the bass, though, which I kind of wanted. Easier on the fingers as well, I think.
Same findings I had on the Retros...sounded dead and flat to me. But are magic on my 000-15sm. Try and get some Martin Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0's in the rotation. I was not really a Martin string fan, but these were a big surprise.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Interim report

The EXPs were a bit rough and a bit bass heavy. The were on for a few months.

The Retros were kind of muddy. They lasted a few days before I moved them to another 000 sized guitar. Not wild about them there either. Maybe just not my sound.

The Martin SPs were OK but a bit thin overall. They lasted a week or so but were just meh on this guitar. Haven't tried them elsewhere.

The D'Addario Nickel Bronze NB1252BT just went on and my first reaction is I like them a lot. Nice feel. Excellent but not distracting bass, nice chime tone played up high. The nickel looks really good on the red/padauk X20 too. My favorite so far, and they will likely be on for a while so I thought I'd report back.

If I try something else later and like it more, I'll pass it along. Otherwise we (I) have a winner!

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to put those on the order list !
Old 05-05-2019, 03:50 PM

I'm a little late to the conversation, but I have two X20's, one that's a year old and one I just got but haven't had much time to play yet. My "old" one I've just been using the same Elixir PB HD Lights (13-53) that I use on my Taylors, partly because it's easier to only have 1 type of strings around, but also because I like their sound on all my guitars. Except for the Taylor mini that I have in Nashville tuning, that one gets different strings (obviously).

I noticed my new X20 sounded really mid-heavy, kind of tubby, and unbalanced. It sounded a lot like a cheap guitar. Normally I'll just play the strings that come on a new guitar until they need changing, but I just couldn't take it anymore. And I was also a little curious if this X20 actually sounded that different from my other one, or if the strings just sucked. I changed them, and it turns out that this X20 sounds exactly like my other one, it just needed better strings. I'm much happier now!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber