The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2019, 03:48 AM

Default Having to refret my Rainsong(question)

Preface: I have sent this same query to RainSong, but I wanted to see if anyone else may have been through this.

I purchased an H DR1000N2 in 2012 from "Specialty Guitars Plus" in Charlottesville VA. I play this guitar daily as it is my primary tool for working gigs. I have had the frets leveled before, but now they are in need of replacement. I am leaning toward Stainless so I don't have to be as concerned about the wear. My question is; What are the size specs on the original so I can be sure the playing and pitch will be the same. I understand Stainless can sound different which might mean having to go through another a series of string tests. Besides that, what concerns or advice concerning a re-fret on a CF would or could there be?

(as prefaced)I have sent this same query to RainSong, but I wanted to see if anyone else may have been through this.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 AM

Here is the RainSong spec which is identical in dimensions to Dunlop 6140:

I

No one (Jescar, Dunlop etc.) seems to make (probably more accurately has made by someone somewhere) an exact 6140 dimension fret wire in stainless. Sintoms RSS270096 seems as close as you can get when I researched this and I bought enough to do two guitars a while back.

Sintoms SS265105 is also pretty close at 2.65x1.05 mm. Instead of a refret I bought a second RainSong Parlor and have the old one set up for gigs with extra light strings and beat frets that don't sound great acoustically, and the new with regular light strings (and new frets) for unamplified use. The fret wire is in standby for now.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-01-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 AM

The main "problem" with stainless steel frets is that they are very rigid, it is not easy to bend them in order to match the neck radius. I guess that some techs have the right tools to manage this, I would not recommend to have the work done by a luthier who has no previous experience. In terms of sound, I believe that, if there is a difference, it is barely noticeable.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Preface: I have sent this same query to RainSong, but I wanted to see if anyone else may have been through this.

I purchased an H DR1000N2 in 2012 from "Specialty Guitars Plus" in Charlottesville VA. I play this guitar daily as it is my primary tool for working gigs. I have had the frets leveled before, but now they are in need of replacement. I am leaning toward Stainless so I don't have to be as concerned about the wear. My question is; What are the size specs on the original so I can be sure the playing and pitch will be the same. I understand Stainless can sound different which might mean having to go through another a series of string tests. Besides that, what concerns or advice concerning a re-fret on a CF would or could there be?

(as prefaced)I have sent this same query to RainSong, but I wanted to see if anyone else may have been through this.
Let us know if you do go ahead with the stainless and how the process went. Thanks and good luck.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Here is the RainSong spec which is identical in dimensions to Dunlop 6140:
No one (Jescar, Dunlop etc.) seems to make (probably more accurately has made by someone somewhere) an exact 6140 dimension fret wire in stainless. Sintoms RSS270096 seems as close as you can get when I researched this and I bought enough to do two guitars a while back.

Sintoms SS265105 is also pretty close at 2.65x1.05 mm. Instead of a refret I bought a second RainSong Parlor and have the old one set up for gigs with extra light strings and beat frets that don't sound great acoustically, and the new with regular light strings (and new frets) for unamplified use. The fret wire is in standby for now.
Excellent information. Thank you so much!
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-01-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post

Let us know if you do go ahead with the stainless and how the process went. Thanks and good luck.
I pretty much have to have it done, so I'll give a report once it happens.
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-01-2019, 08:07 AM

If a luthier or tech hasn't encountered a Rainsong refret, they've probably come across a few composite fretboards by now--Martin's been using them for a couple decades, on guitars selling for well over $1000 (up to $2700).
As mentioned above, it can be refretted like any other guitar.

Stainless is where it's at...and really, the right choice for a durable CF / composite guitar.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
The main "problem" with stainless steel frets is that they are very rigid, it is not easy to bend them in order to match the neck radius. I guess that some techs have the right tools to manage this, I would not recommend to have the work done by a luthier who has no previous experience. In terms of sound, I believe that, if there is a difference, it is barely noticeable.
The luthier I use already brought me up to speed on the differences on the tech side. He doesn't seem concerned about it.
Heck I suppose I could order a new neck and have a spare on hand.
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-01-2019, 10:45 AM

On AGF I have read that the EVO frets are an excellent replacement for SS frets.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-01-2019, 06:50 PM

I recieved encouraging news from RainSong regarding re-fretting to SS, so I'm going to get it done in the next month. I'll be sure to post the results. Thank you for all the comments and ideas.
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-02-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I hadn't heard about the difficulty in bending them, though I did know they were tough on cutting tools. Luckily, RainSong necks have a 20" radius, so they won't have to bend much.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:10 PM

A direct quote from Stewart MacDonald on stainless steel frets claiming they are easier to install?!?

StewMac Stainless Steel Fretwire
11 Reviews
Our most popular fretwire sizes, now in stainless
Everyone loves stainless for its durability and longevity, plus it's easy to work with.

Get more miles between refrets
Stainless steel frets are slow to wear or develop grooves, so you get smooth string bends for years longer. Some players hear a slightly brighter tone with stainless.

Easier fret jobs
Unlike traditional fretwire, you don't need to "overbend" stainless steel wire. Curve it to your fretboard radius, and it stays put. The frets fit their slots without popping up, so less fret leveling is required.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-02-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
A direct quote from Stewart MacDonald on stainless steel frets claiming they are easier to install?!?

StewMac Stainless Steel Fretwire
11 Reviews
Our most popular fretwire sizes, now in stainless
Everyone loves stainless for its durability and longevity, plus it's easy to work with.

Get more miles between refrets
Stainless steel frets are slow to wear or develop grooves, so you get smooth string bends for years longer. Some players hear a slightly brighter tone with stainless.

Easier fret jobs
Unlike traditional fretwire, you don't need to "overbend" stainless steel wire. Curve it to your fretboard radius, and it stays put. The frets fit their slots without popping up, so less fret leveling is required.
I'm hoping it will feel the same. If it sounds a little different that might be good, or bad. We shall see.
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber