The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Source for X7 bone saddle needed

Can anyone list a source for the bone saddle you put in your X7 ? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:41 PM

I did post in the other thread but here it is again just in case:

This is the one I ordered. It's the closet in spec to the stock Emerald saddles and it's still from MacNichol guitars just through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Unbleached-Sa...ll-spons&psc=1
Old 04-21-2019, 01:11 PM

MacNichol for sure.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to everyone ! Ordered

Last edited by jdinco; 04-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Thanks to everyone ! Ordered
I hope you like it. It made a very noticeable difference on my X30. I currently have the unbleached version installed and have 2 more soaking in black stain. Gonna leave them in there for a few more weeks this time as I keep taking them out too early!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Good to know, I'm not sure what to expect, I think it will be good to remove the UST, I don't use it, so I won't miss it. Last time I switched a J45 from the stock saddle (don't remember what it was) to bone, it sounded pretty bad and I had to go back to stock. Some of these guitar companies do know what sounds best in their guitars. I'll let you know how it goes! And thanks for all the info from everyone, gotta love this forum.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Good to know, I'm not sure what to expect, I think it will be good to remove the UST, I don't use it, so I won't miss it. Last time I switched a J45 from the stock saddle (don't remember what it was) to bone, it sounded pretty bad and I had to go back to stock. Some of these guitar companies do know what sounds best in their guitars. I'll let you know how it goes! And thanks for all the info from everyone, gotta love this forum.
You're exactly right every guitar is different just like all of us want a certain tone. Luckily a saddle change is a cheap and easy mod. I would leave the UST out as well since you don't use it, at least for now. That way you don't have to sand as much off the new bone saddle.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Slightly related. Has anyone found a source for a ready made saddle for the X7 nylon?

Working with mine I need something 76mm x 3.4mm x 10mm or so. I started with the Macnichol bone for fender accoustic that I think is 75 x 3.2 x 12 or so and it's ok but sloppier fit than I would like.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Guest 928

I'd go back to MacNichol, or to Emerald. Either source should be able to get you what you need.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'd go back to MacNichol, or to Emerald. Either source should be able to get you what you need.
+1 ...What Unc said.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-24-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
+1 ...What Unc said.

I was looking more for the definition of what it is and where to find one pre made but it looks like the X7 nylon is not a common size for the saddle. Macnichol was saying that he can't do that one.

Bob from Colosi is going to make a custom one as a copy of my stock. I was more hoping it someone had identified a place that had non custom options. Less for the money and more as I like the learning aspect.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I was looking more for the definition of what it is and where to find one pre made but it looks like the X7 nylon is not a common size for the saddle. Macnichol was saying that he can't do that one.

Bob from Colosi is going to make a custom one as a copy of my stock. I was more hoping it someone had identified a place that had non custom options. Less for the money and more as I like the learning aspect.
Yeah sorry I have no experience with nylon guitars at all. I am a little surprised MacNichol guitars couldn't make one. I was close to ordering one through Bob Colosi as well. A little pricey but you're guaranteed to get a quality saddle from him from all the reports I've read.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber