The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Grace Design Felix as a Stand Alone Mixer

I bought a Felix almost a month ago to blend two sources in one of my guitars.

I'm trying out a different guitar that has the LR Baggs Anthem Stage Pro system. After some fiddling I got a nice sound out of the Anthem going straight into a QSC K10. I wanted to hear how it sounded through the Felix so I set that up and dialed in a very nice sound.

Channel 1 of the Felix has an excellent mic preamp and since that wasn't being used with this new guitar, I plugged my vocal mic in and took a blended signal out to the K10. It sounds fabulous!

I love the way the vocals sound through the Felix. The mic is an Audix OM5 with the EQ set flat and I'm getting a really nice, clear vocal tone that mixes really well with the guitar. I like the guitar/vocals mix I'm getting through the Felix better than what I'm getting with my QSC TouchMix.

I think I'm going to use this setup when I'm doing smaller shows with a single speaker. I'll still use the mixer when I'm using two front of house speakers and a monitor mix but this will be a very easy and great sounding setup for those smaller shows.

And, depending on my output configuration, I could even use the headphone jack on the Felix to my in-ears.

Pretty fun!

Matt

Last edited by open-road-matt; 06-07-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post

I'm trying out a different guitar that has the LR Baggs Anthem on-board system. After some fiddling I got a nice sound out of the Anthem going straight into a QSC K10. I wanted to hear how it sounded through the Felix so I set that up and dialed in a very nice sound.

Channel 1 of the Felix has an excellent mic preamp and since that wasn't being used with this new guitar, I plugged my vocal mic in and took a blended signal out to the K10. It sounds fabulous!

I love the way the vocals sound through the Felix. The mic is an Audix OM5 with the EQ set flat and I'm getting a really nice, clear vocal tone that mixes really well with the guitar. I like the guitar/vocals mix I'm getting through the Felix better than what I'm getting with my QSC TouchMix.

I think I'm going to use this setup when I'm doing smaller shows with a single speaker. I'll still use the mixer when I'm using two front of house speakers and a monitor mix but this will be a very easy and great sounding setup for those smaller shows.

And, depending on my output configuration, I could even use the headphone jack on the Felix to my in-ears.

Pretty fun!

Matt
I just started doing something similar with different gear. I have a TC voice live 3 for my guitar and voice and used to use a little mixer so I had knobs at hand but then I decided to build a pedalboard After I put together the pedalboard I decided to ditch the mixer and plug straight in the speaker so now when I do a solo gig I plug the TC into my powered speaker plug my guitar cable and the AC in and I'm ready. I absolutely love it

I bet that Felix sounds great

Old 06-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm trying out a different guitar that has the LR Baggs Anthem on-board system. After some fiddling I got a nice sound out of the Anthem going straight into a QSC K10. I wanted to hear how it sounded through the Felix so I set that up and dialed in a very nice sound.

Pretty fun!

Matt
The preamp circuitry used in the Felix is almost identical to the preamp Grace uses in its studio preamps, e.g., M101, M201. The differences deal with functions, not sonics. It never hurts to use a high quality preamp.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:04 PM

I've been doing this for awhile with a Sunrise into channel 2 and an AKG 535 for vocals into channel 1. This drives a Schertler Jam150 extension. If I need more coverage I plug in a second Jam150. Very light high fidelity system. The folks at Grace Design did a great job with this box. Well worth the price of entry.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
I've been doing this for awhile with a Sunrise into channel 2 and an AKG 535 for vocals into channel 1. This drives a Schertler Jam150 extension. If I need more coverage I plug in a second Jam150. Very light high fidelity system. The folks at Grace Design did a great job with this box. Well worth the price of entry.
Do you use the Amp out or one of the DI outs?

It's tempting to make this my normal set up but it could get a bit clunky when hooking up more than two speakers and I'd have to give up the dual source unless I wanted to add another blender.

Matt
Old 06-07-2016, 05:45 PM

I'm using the DI out. Nice being able to run a distance with the XLR without worrying about too much signal loss/degradation. I can hook up more speakers by either using both DI's or by running from the Line Out on the Jam 150 extension. Don't know if a line out is common on powered speakers or not.

Hard call with the dual source since the Felix wasn't designed to be a full up mixer. I would buy a 4 channel model for the convenience of a single box but suppose to market is fairly limited for that sort of thing given the price point it would come in at.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:46 PM

I use my Felix as a 2 channel mixer. I run my electric guitar or banjo into ch2, and take my vocal mic (sm57) through a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic, then into ch1's xlr input. I use quite a few fx with my guitar and banjo, but run them into the front end of the Felix instead of the insert loop.

I set Felix to Channel-Mix Mode via the side-mounted DIP switch, and use the Mix Knob to adjust the overall instrument/vocals balance.

I take a mix of both channels from one of the DI's on the back of the Felix and send them directly to a powered monitor. Up until recently it was the Yamaha DXR12. I just upgraded to an Atomic CLR Neo, and am blown away by the sound.

I have used this type of setup with the Felix for the last 20 or so shows I have done. It has been wonderful to use, as it really does so much so well.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawchuck View Post
I use my Felix as a 2 channel mixer. I run my electric guitar or banjo into ch2, and take my vocal mic (sm57) through a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic, then into ch1's xlr input. I use quite a few fx with my guitar and banjo, but run them into the front end of the Felix instead of the insert loop.

I set Felix to Channel-Mix Mode via the side-mounted DIP switch, and use the Mix Knob to adjust the overall instrument/vocals balance.

I take a mix of both channels from one of the DI's on the back of the Felix and send them directly to a powered monitor. Up until recently it was the Yamaha DXR12. I just upgraded to an Atomic CLR Neo, and am blown away by the sound.

I have used this type of setup with the Felix for the last 20 or so shows I have done. It has been wonderful to use, as it really does so much so well.

I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you. That Atomic CLR Neo looks pretty cool!

I've been playing through nothing but this set up and home and I'm absolutely hooked on the sound/tone/feel etc. of my vocal mic through the Felix.

I'd be willing to abandon my dual-source in my guitar to keep my vocals! I did find a cool little K&K dual channel blender so I could run both sources into that and then out to channel 2 of the Felix but I'm not sure I need to. The Anthem in my little guitar is decent and I really like the Fishman Rare Earth Blend on its own in my jumbo.

As for configurations, I think I'll take the amp out to my front of house speaker(s.) This lets me make subtle volume adjustments from the Felix.

All of my speakers are QSC K Series. The gain adjustment knobs on the back all have click settings. Sometimes one click can be too soft and the next click too loud. The Amp knob on the Felix will let me turn the main(s) up and down as needed from the stage.

Then I'll take a DI mix out to a floor monitor. Again, because of the way the QSC stuff works, I'm setting the DI on the Felix to mic and then using a -10 db pad out to a K10 as a wedge. I set the K10 to mic and I have a very nice monitor mix.

I'll get to try all of this out live this weekend!

Matt
Old 01-20-2020, 02:51 PM

Old thread, I know. I've just started using the Felix for vocals and guitar. My SCGC with the LR Baggs Anthem into channel 2 set for "2 only" to the amp out. I run the DI from channel 1 into side A of my QSC K10 set to mic sensitivity, and then a 1/4" out of the Amp out to side B on the QSC which is preset to line sensitivity. Then I can use the amp out knob on channel two for a separate volume control and set the mix all the way to 1. Then I link the other speakers with the post Gain/Mix out. Sounds amazing. Way better than when I was running into my Yamaha MX10U mixer first.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:40 AM

I would got me an Alix to use with my Schatten HFN Passive equipped Martin HD28, into a Touchmix8.

But now that I'm hearing about this feature of a Felix as a mixer, or even the quality of the preamp to use with Vocal Microphone (in my case, a Neumann KMS105), I'm thinking in spend a few more money and get me a Felix.

Is there more people here that use it with vocal microphone, too?

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 01-23-2020, 11:30 AM

I actually want to get an Alix too for another one of these mic pre’s. I’d run the vocal mic into the alix and a dual source pickup into the Felix.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
I actually want to get an Alix too for another one of these mic pre’s. I’d run the vocal mic into the alix and a dual source pickup into the Felix.
Alix doesn't have a balanced XLR input, only an unbalanced 1/4" instrument jack. So you can't use it for a mic.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:22 AM

Since i bought my line six helix stomp.
Ive used my felix in this mode.
My heil pr-35 goes into ch 1of the felix.
the inst output from the helix goes into
ch 2 of the felix. The helix allows me to
build presets so i can run my mandolin
and guitar both through ch 2 .
Formally i ran mandolin to ch 2 and
guitar to ch1 if the felix. It took awhile
to tweak ( levels mostly) When i switch
between presets so one is not louder
unless i want it to be.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm trying out a different guitar that has the LR Baggs Anthem Stage Pro system. After some fiddling I got a nice sound out of the Anthem going straight into a QSC K10. I wanted to hear how it sounded through the Felix so I set that up and dialed in a very nice sound.

Pretty fun!

Matt
Yes clear uncolored pres are indeed what Grace is known for, and hard to go wrong with one , especially for vocals

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification