The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-24-2020, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Amazon Fire Stick Discovery...

I'm not a high-tech kind of guy, but obviously spend time a good bit of time online. Until a year ago, I didn't have home internet and would go to the local library to get online or glom off my neighbor's signal. Once I got home internet, an Amazon Fire Stick wasn't far behind and with that came all kinds of "channels." Many of these channels weren't available to me since I don't have cable, but I've been content to watch movies and tv shows since I'm kind of a tv/movie junkie.

Lately, I've been watching less TV/movies and using the time for reading, playing guitar and enjoying the quiet of my cabin in the woods. I once had SiriusXM (SXM) in a new car and really enjoyed the musical options as well as talk shows. Lately I've been thinking about getting SXM in either my home and/or my car but hadn't really moved past the "Wouldn't it be nice" and web surfing for necessary equipment options stage. So yesterday SXM sent me a teaser for three free months. I say teaser because these things are like the cocaine of music listening; you get a taste and then you're hooked. I also assume that it was a teaser because I (erroneously) assumed that I wouldn't be able to get on because an intermediary cable provider (which I don't have) would be a prerequisite.

Well, as George Costanza would say, "I'm back, baby." I can "listen" on my computer or my television, and really excited about the wealth of programming that's available, but especially the music. Before anybody asks, my free deal ends 4/23, and after that I'll be billed $9/month. I can also use this account to access SXM in my car should I decide to go that route. We'll see, but in the meantime as Kramer said, "I'm out there and loving it."
Old 01-24-2020, 05:27 AM

RP - Also check out some of the Sirius XM digital streams (online only). There's some excellent curated listening on that service (which now comes as part of the package).

And for a not so esoteric, but an oh-so enjoyable trip back to 1960s radio, check out Phlash Phelps every morning (60s on 6).

Sirius XM has been one of those little luxuries that has been worth it for me. In my usual rotation is Outlaw Country (60); 1940's (73); Radio Mysteries (148); Underground Garage (21); 1960s (6) and 1st Wave (33).

Rick
Old 01-24-2020, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
RP - Also check out some of the Sirius XM digital streams (online only). There's some excellent curated listening on that service (which now comes as part of the package).

And for a not so esoteric, but an oh-so enjoyable trip back to 1960s radio, check out Phlash Phelps every morning (60s on 6).

Sirius XM has been one of those little luxuries that has been worth it for me. In my usual rotation is Outlaw Country (60); 1940's (73); Radio Mysteries (148); Underground Garage (21); 1960s (6) and 1st Wave (33).

Rick
Thanks for the suggestions, Rick. For music lovers, $9/month seems pretty cheap. Grooving on The Bridge (Ch. 32) right now but switched Ch. 6 - 60s on 6. Songs from the 60s are my jam....

Last edited by RP; 01-24-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

OK, satellite radio, but what’s the connection to the Amazon fire stick? Is there an XM app available there through which you can listen to XM on your TV? Aren’t there any number of ways to access it online that wouldn’t involve a TV? Like just from your desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone?

We have a couple of fire sticks, but we just use them 3 months a year in a winter rental where the cable is quite limited. So we can watch a lot of stuff we can get more easily at home straight through our cable package at home (including Netflix and Amazon Prime video) without a separate WiFi device and a separate remote... I would think if I wanted to listen to satellite radio, I’d be able to do it more easily on a more portable device that doesn’t involve a big visual screen that wouldn’t really be involved...

What am I missing?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
OK, satellite radio, but what’s the connection to the Amazon fire stick? Is there an XM app available there through which you can listen to XM on your TV? Aren’t there any number of ways to access it online that wouldn’t involve a TV? Like just from your desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone?
Yes. SXM seems to be another app or "channel" that's available on the Amazon desktop/TV screen menu. I'm no technology whiz, but it was an easy set up...
Old 01-24-2020, 08:28 AM

If you are an Amazon Prime member there is a lot of music available at no extra cost which you can play through your Amazon Firestick. My favorite internet radio is Folk Alley (www.folkalley.com). No charge, free app or you can listen on the internet.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:16 AM

Since you have internet you can listen to Pandora and Spotify for free (with ads). There is a seriously lot of music, podcasts and more out there!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele