The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-04-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Oh BTW here's a link to what they carry: https://www.12fret.com/brands/national/
As far as I've read you are going a reputable dealer, that is familiar with resonators and has staff on hand that can "tweak" the instrument.

The main things IMHO are that unlike a flattop these need a setup that will drive the cone, the nationals I have played were set up low for chorded playing with the weight strings that are on them and if you think at some point you might want a pickup, most you have to take the cover off for to install so you might want to factor that in in pricewise. Metal ones weigh similar to an electric so if the one you want doesn't have one you might want a strap pin put on it.

Good luck,
Harriet
Old 02-04-2020, 02:11 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks Harriet!

So for better or worse I'm still talking with guy selling the M-1 tricone locally.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:19 PM

Last chance before you decide and jump...

After this thread, I dragged my 70s Dobro out and put it back in standard tuning. I had it setup for hybrid style and a Fishman reso pickup installed on the cone years and years ago.

The setup has not move a whisker. It is a far better guitar to play fingerstyle rags and blues, to me, than my Nationals - because the nut and neck are narrower. Way easier and the brass body makes it sound superb.

Just saying, Doug, as there is one on Reverb for about $1000. (Their values dropped drastically after National Resophonics started making their (reissue style) slide beauties, but a 1000 bucks, wow! Mine is staying here forever because of the history of my gigging with it and...the main reason: my ex piano player or ex sax player knocked it over and put a big dent in it. Real big.

Reverb.com...no affiliation:

https://reverb.com/au/item/29574334-...r?locale=en-AU

BluesKing777.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Last chance before you decide and jump...

After this thread, I dragged my 70s Dobro out and put it back in standard tuning. I had it setup for hybrid style and a Fishman reso pickup installed on the cone years and years ago.

The setup has not move a whisker. It is a far better guitar to play fingerstyle rags and blues, to me, than my Nationals - because the nut and neck are narrower. Way easier and the brass body makes it sound superb.

Just saying, Doug, as there is one on Reverb for about $1000. (Their values dropped drastically after National Resophonics started making their (reissue style) slide beauties, but a 1000 bucks, wow! Mine is staying here forever because of the history of my gigging with it and...the main reason: my ex piano player or ex sax player knocked it over and put a big dent in it. Real big.

Reverb.com...no affiliation:

https://reverb.com/au/item/29574334-...r?locale=en-AU

BluesKing777.
Thanks but I'm not ready to jump in just yet. I talked with my wife last night and came to the conclusion that the local M-1 is not worth taking the risk on it. Weird finish damage on the back. I'll hold out until I can get to the 12th Fret soon and try out a bunch. I'm in no hurry.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I noticed that there is a used M-1 Tricone for sale locally. Might be worth checking out....
?
I've got an M1

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-07-2020 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:46 AM
Guest 33123

Did some number crunching and realized that the National GAS money is spoken for right now. I may still drop by the Twelfth Fret but purchasing is on hold. Thanks for all the advice guys. It opened my eyes to the world of wood bodied Nationals. I still really want to try a M-1 tricone.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 02-07-2020 at 01:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments