The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Since transitioning from a dread (which I played exclusively for many years) to smaller body guitars I am having the musical journey of a lifetime. Let me add that "smaller" is a relative term, as my Northwood mini jumbo and Taylor GS8 both are good sized guitars. To me it's the body shape that makes them more comfortable to play than a dread, and I still get a big sound. I can play both of these pretty much like I played my dread. On the other hand, 00 or OM size guitars sound best when I adjust my playing style, attack, and so on -- which has opened up many new musical windows of learning for me. Nothing replaces a dread, but for me that was not the goal. Comfort and age were my primary reasons for making the change, and I am having a blast ! Enjoy whatever guitars you have ! Life is good !

Cheers!
Old 02-25-2021, 01:45 PM

If I could only own two guitars, they would be an OM and a dread. My story is similar to the many already mentioned. I went through phases for sure. When you go through periods of not playing and your hands and calluses weaken, it is hard to go back to fingerstyle when all you have is dreads. When you have a nice small bodied instrument for fingerstye, and you have a nice dread for everything else, I get into the habit of playing everything on one guitar because I don't want to stop and switch guitars.

I am definitely getting older, I appreciate the size and full sound of my Bourgeois DB Signature OM and how it is easier on my fingers. But I get a thrill when I get to my Collings D2 Traditional or my Martin D18 MD. I am in a happy place.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-25-2021, 04:14 PM

Absolutely. I no longer pursue Dreads as a result.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-08-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Public discussion of price not allowed
Old 02-25-2021, 04:20 PM

I had to give them up because of my tinnitus. My last one was a Larrivee SD-40. What an awesome guitar! But my ears started ringing every time I played it--no matter what strings. My largest guitar now is a GA.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:40 PM

Both have their place in my heart but I prefer the dreads more, I find it a more complete sound.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I like the design and feel of small body guitars. The problem for me is they sound like small body guitars.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I'm an old bluegrasser - so my dreads are essential equipmnt when performing even solo, or with my trio, but since lockdown no.1, I've hardly used them, and like others, I'm wondering if I'll ever gig again.
However, for the past year, I.ve got used to smaller guitars with light gauge strings.

However, could this be a trend ?

https://youtu.be/VT70_F7-syU
Old 02-25-2021, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I like having a dread and will probably always keep one around because of that big sound they produce, but that isn't to say I think dreads sound superior to smaller guitars.

I reach for the smaller guitars more often, smaller is more comfortable due to age-related issues, and I like the way they sound too.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I have fairly long arms and broad shoulders so a Dreadnaught feels pretty natural in my arms and I like the bigger sound.

But I appreciate playing smaller body guitars too, variety being the spice, etc.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 02-25-2021, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Dreadnaught fatigue: do you grow to appreciate smaller bodies?

I like dreadnoughts and I like smaller guitars, too. If I play a dreadnought for very long, it does kind of kill my right shoulder. But to me, there is no guitar design that quite matches the sound of a good dreadnought. So for that sound, I am willing to hurt fairly substantially once in a while.

However, I have been working at my computer a lot, laying out a lot of diagrams for a tutorial, and I have been using my Santa Cruz OM/PW to help me with this work. It's so light to pick up and so much more comfortable to hold that I can't imagine dealing with the discomfort of handling a dreadnought in this situation.

So I understand the appeal of smaller guitars, but I'm not tired of dreadnoughts.

- Glenn
Old 02-25-2021, 08:06 PM

got rid of my two Dreds and now have a Martin 000-18, Taylor 322ce, and a Martin GPCPA3 (kind of an OM size and it's my Rosewood back/side guitar). when I play out I'm always plugged in so it dawned on me that I didn't need the "cannon" Dred at all. I can easily EQ the guitar to sound just right as far as Bass to Treble ratio, and they are so much more comfortable to play standing or sitting.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:46 PM

I played dreads for about 30 years then sold my last one and bought my first OM a few years ago. I love its comfortability, and the Collings I got has a big yet focused sound so as I rarely miss the depth or boomy attributes of the dread.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:01 PM

I do and my dream guitar is the Collings 1H-T with a mahogany top. Played one in the Denver Folklore Center shop a couple years ago and almost drooled on it. Light as a feather.

Maybe I should sell the BMW bike and get the Collings.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 02-25-2021, 10:15 PM

In my 50 years of playing, no, never entered my mind. I have a Martin HD-35. If I were to ever get another acoustic it would be the bigger Gibson J-200. I like holding a guitar that makes me resonate with it.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Just depends on what fits you - which can change with time. I'm evolving toward 00-ish size bodies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion