The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 AM

Default Nut slot width

I am fitting my HD-28 with some heavy gauge strings so it can be tuned down to D standard. As I thought might be the case, there might be some string binding issues (particularly on the 4th string, and maybe on the third). Seems to stay in tune fine, but the tuning peg on the 4th strings seems harder than normal to turn.

Anyway, let's just say I do need to have the slots widened slightly. And I mean slightly, because I really don't think it's that far off. If I ever go back to using mediums at standard or e-flat, will there be any issues with the slightly wider slots?
Old 02-25-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Possibly, but have you tried some graphite from a pencil in the slot and the underside of that string?
Old 02-25-2021, 01:43 PM

2 things:

-Buy another nut if you can afford it. Then you always have a good nut ready to go for standard tuning that you know works. Have the new nut slotted for the strings you are going to use.

-Lubricating a nut is so you prevent wearing the slots out. Its not a solution to binding strings. Fix the issue binding the strings then lubrication is fine but its not the answer to the problem just a bandaid that may or may not work.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:59 PM

Many people here will hate the idea, but a quick, easy, effective and cheap way to widen the slots are with "torch tip cleaners." (he said ducking shoes and insults)

They're about 3 inches long, come in various thicknesses that should match up with the slots you want to widen and just sharp enough to do a quick job widening the slots for the wound strings. The thinner ones will bend when you try to do the unwound strings, but, like I say, quick, easy and cheap. They're often found at Auto supply stores - do a search on "torch tip cleaner".
Old 02-25-2021, 02:42 PM

For the wound strings you could use the cutoffs after a string change. For the E and B strings maybe some 1200 sand paper. May only be able to use a single thickness on the paper.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-25-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
Many people here will hate the idea, but a quick, easy, effective and cheap way to widen the slots are with "torch tip cleaners." (he said ducking shoes and insults)

They're about 3 inches long, come in various thicknesses that should match up with the slots you want to widen and just sharp enough to do a quick job widening the slots for the wound strings. The thinner ones will bend when you try to do the unwound strings, but, like I say, quick, easy and cheap. They're often found at Auto supply stores - do a search on "torch tip cleaner".
No, I don’t hate your idea, but the real deal tools to use are readily available from a number of luthier supply on line stores. Even Amazon has them and there is no doubt about what is the right size for each slot. They are clearly marked. Oh yes, they have polishing threads/strings in the correct sizes to smooth out the slots too.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I know this is not answering your question, but have you really considered the implications of putting heavy gauge stings on you guitar?

Sounds like a great way to ensure a neck reset !

Do you REALLY mean heavy gauge ? EJ18s ? 14-59?
Old 02-25-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
Possibly, but have you tried some graphite from a pencil in the slot and the underside of that string?
That certainly works but I prefer to use Music Nomad's tuneIT lubricant these days. None of that dark-colored graphite to get on your white bone nut.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I know this is not answering your question, but have you really considered the implications of putting heavy gauge stings on you guitar?

Sounds like a great way to ensure a neck reset !

Do you REALLY mean heavy gauge ? EJ18s ? 14-59?
Well, as I said it is only for tuning down to D standard, which by my calculation gives a tension somewhere between light and medium at standard tuning. The guitar is already set up for medium. I would never tune it up higher than that with heavys.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies everyone.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:43 PM

I have often used a short piece of the larger sized string as an impromptu "file" to widen or smooth the nut slots if necessary. Be careful not to go any deeper, as that will affect playability. I also have proper but files, and use feeler gauges to prevent going too deep. https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...lot-depth.html

FWIW, I use EJ-18's to tune down to D and sometimes C#. As long as you check the overall tensions and keep it under ~185 pounds (normal for medium gauge tuned E-e) you will be OK.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion