The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2021, 08:40 AM

Default Plastic Foot Removal

Before I damage the bottom of this Marshall AVT 4x12 cab, does anyone know if there is a trick to removing these feet? I have tried unscrewing them by hand(they don’t move) and turning with a vice grip, and still no movement. Any ideas? I would really like to get casters on here so I can move this thing around without lifting all the time.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Before I damage the bottom of this Marshall AVT 4x12 cab, does anyone know if there is a trick to removing these feet? I have tried unscrewing them by hand (they don’t move) and turning with a vice grip, and still no movement. Any ideas?
This might work:

Old 02-17-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
This might work:

Bahahaha, I’m thinking about it Steve.😂
Old 02-17-2021, 09:15 AM

Only a guess, but if you take off the back cover you might be able to access the other end of the screws holding them on and go from there.

Good luck!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 02-17-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
Only a guess, but if you take off the back cover you might be able to access the other end of the screws holding them on and go from there.

Good luck!
Right, it may be bolts instead of screws. But I'm baffled: I'd have also thought they'd screw right off. If it's used, somebody might have glued them in place at some point too. I've seen stranger stuff.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Good luck!
I have a feeling I may have to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Right, it may be bolts instead of screws. But I'm baffled: I'd have also thought they'd screw right off. If it's used, somebody might have glued them in place at some point too. I've seen stranger stuff.
Yes, it’s a used piece I inherited from a family members son who no longer plays. Who knows what it’s life has been.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I should have said "fasteners" instead of screws. Sorry about that!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 02-17-2021, 09:45 AM

Nothin’. The placement of the foot is right above that cross brace inside the cab. With a vice grip on the foot it just spins. I would have sworn it would have screwed itself out.

It seems I will be using the screw on type of casters instead of using the Marshall attachment point for rollers.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:39 AM

So...the CoolCats on the amp forum of this manufacture say that the feet in this budget line of cabinets are hot glued and pressed into the bottom of the cab. They also said to pry a screwdriver between the foot and the cab and pop them out. On better series cabs these feet would be threaded in the center to just screw casters right in. Darn!
Old 02-17-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So...the CoolCats on the amp forum of this manufacture say that the feet in this budget line of cabinets are hot glued and pressed into the bottom of the cab. They also said to pry a screwdriver between the foot and the cab and pop them out. On better series cabs these feet would be threaded in the center to just screw casters right in. Darn!
Yeah, actually I was about to say why not just pry them off, put casters in their place?
Old 02-17-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Good luck!
I have a JTM 2x12 cab, with the same looking feet,,, but there are screws in the middle... so it was obvious when one broke.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:54 PM

I ordered the pop in Peavey caster set to install after i extract these existing feet. It will make moving this cabinet around much easier on me. Thank you all for your ideas and support!
frankie
Old 02-18-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I ordered the pop in Peavey caster set to install after i extract these existing feet. It will make moving this cabinet around much easier on me. Thank you all for your ideas and support!
frankie
I'm a little late (this thread moved fast!) but happy to hear you found the solution. Casters make a significant difference. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm a little late (this thread moved fast!) but happy to hear you found the solution. Casters make a significant difference. Good luck and keep us updated.
HeyDrew.
Amazon said casters will arrive Monday. Vendor sez because of weather in the USA right now they could not honor the AmazonPrime two day delivery schedule.
That’s OK, no worries. I”ll put some pictures up of the foot removals(lol) and caster installations.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:55 AM

Easy peezy, lemon squeezy. Ready to rock & “roll” now. Casters
on and head arrived from Sweetwater this week. Much more fun than shoveling snow!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars