The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2021, 12:22 PM

Link didnt load.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
My favorites to make.

Following AGF guidelines, I can't come here to sell as I am not a site sponsor. Kerbie already has enough work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
That’s looks beautiful and functional. Well done.
I agree! That box is beautiful.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-27-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
I agree! That box is beautiful. I would buy one of those.
Thanks so very much. This one ended up on the east coast, built it for a friend. He was thrilled. I prefer to build boxes for a purpose. What better purpose than for holding a players stash.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
Following AGF guidelines, I can't come here to sell as I am not a site sponsor. Kerbie already has enough work.
Haha... that is SO true!

That is gorgeous, JC. I admire folks who have that kind of artistic talent. I think I'm limited to music in the artistic area. Can't imagine anyone paying me for my stick figures.

The AGF is all about music and the arts. So, let's please enjoy and celebrate the artists among us without venturing into buying and selling in this thread. That can take place ONLY in the Classifieds and Marketplace. Thanks very much! Keep the artwork coming.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:11 PM

I've been drawing since I could hold a crayon, started taking private art lessons at age 7 (my mom had to beg the bluebonnet-painting teacher to take on a child that young) and kept on through my mid-teens, couple of high school art classes, worked as a staff artist for the Baylor Student Union art department in 1968-69 while taking art classes (typography, painting, design, etc.) as a freshman, transferred to UT Austin in fall 1969 and graduated in 1972 with a BFA in Studio Art, emphasis in graphic art and illustration, freelanced as an illustrator/art director in Austin until mid 1975, got hired by a San Antonio design studio as an art director. There, however, the studio was in need of self promotion, so I wrote and illustrated a series of ads that got me a job offer at the hottest concept-oriented ad agency in south Texas. The catch: they wanted to hire me as a copywriter. I negotiated a compromise: I'd wear two hats, as art director AND copywriter. They agreed. After my first year or so there, however, it became obvious that there were equally good designers on staff, but no one with my penchant for headlines, copy and wordplay, so I went full bore copywriter around 1977 and never really looked back.

Well, that's not QUITE true. I held onto two giant boxes of assorted art supplies (some dating back to the 1950s), a professional easel, drawing board, t-squares and other accoutrement in hopes that I'd go back to drawing and painting upon retirement. I've been retired for six months and so far the urge hasn't struck. And about 95% of my paintings and other old work (save for a half dozen sketchbooks from "back when") were sold or given away years ago. We'll see if all that stuff out in the garage survives the next move my wife and I make. I ain't holding my breath. If I decide to hold a giant online garage sale, I'll let you guys know.

Cheers,

Dirk
Old 01-29-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Not me...just guitar. My wife however paints in water color and oil and plays guitar. So she's the real artist in the house. I can't draw a stick man?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-30-2021, 09:19 AM

I'm guessing this thread came about after Tom and I had email exchanges about our art.
I've been an artist for as long as I can remember--in kindergarten, I remember the teacher and friends looking over my shoulder as I drew!
"Artist" has always been the thing I wanted to be (I related this in the "What work do you, or did you do?" thread). As the path progressed, I realized not many could make it--a living wage--just doing their Art. The closest job I could think of for bringing in a steady income was to be an art educator; and that is what I have been for 33 yrs. Most days I have my hands in some kind of media, and also get to set the spark for burgeoning creative minds--of whatever age (from elementary school to adult ed.). I'm in probably my last year teaching, and look forward to really "gettin' some work done" of my own-- at least much more than the little bit time allows while teaching!
I'm terrible at cataloging my work, so currently I don't have pictures to share--but I DID promise Tom I'll remedy that asap (this blended-learning scheme for schools is making SO MANY teachers burnt out--the daily check-list is never completed--and so heading for the exits=retirement)!

It has been a calling, pursuing the path of creative output, and I know you all can relate to that innate need to bring it forth.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

During the past depressing year I began to try "rock painting".No Picasso potential for me....but it was therapeutic

Old 01-30-2021, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

My wife makes oriental rugs. She started playing around making oriental rug pot holders. Now I have started making oriental rug pot holder patterns.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-30-2021, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

I keep returning to this thread to catch up on the latest...... very nice!

J

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 02-01-2021, 10:52 AM

I had a phase when I tried to make oil paintings look like watercolors. I think I have done over 30 of these iris paintings. The signature is my name in Cantonese.

Then, as a source of income, I did a lot of commissioned embroidered and fabric painting work. The trick is to charge an outrageous amount. I felt very uncomfortable, but then an artist friend told me to triple my prices and I would get more commissions. It worked. This is from the Book of Kells.

One of my great loves is pencil drawings. I love that I can carry it around with me and work on it. They work well on starting conversations, and, occasionally, getting asked to do other work. I was working on this one sipping coffee in a coffee shop and a guy asked me to do a portrait of his wife.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 02-18-2021, 01:30 AM

Link still not working. Sorry
Old 02-24-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
I had a phase when I tried to make oil paintings look like watercolors. I think I have done over 30 of these iris paintings. The signature is my name in Cantonese.

Then, as a source of income, I did a lot of commissioned embroidered and fabric painting work. The trick is to charge an outrageous amount. I felt very uncomfortable, but then an artist friend told me to triple my prices and I would get more commissions. It worked. This is from the Book of Kells.

One of my great loves is pencil drawings. I love that I can carry it around with me and work on it. They work well on starting conversations, and, occasionally, getting asked to do other work. I was working on this one sipping coffee in a coffee shop and a guy asked me to do a portrait of his wife.

Fumei,
Sent you a PM
-Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic