The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-20-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Fumei,
Again, your work is fantastic.

The larger portraits are 36x48 and 27x59.
Though it’s true that color is completely secondary your use of it is captivating.
Cheers!
I find the portrait of yours (on the left) quite captivating. The stained glass is exquisite and the tonal values beautiful. Plus I am so glad you included the close-up of the man's face. I love love love the physicality of the paint. I wish I could do that.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-20-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
I find the portrait of yours (on the left) quite captivating. The stained glass is exquisite and the tonal values beautiful. Plus I am so glad you included the close-up of the man's face. I love love love the physicality of the paint. I wish I could do that.

Thank you.
Just like with guitar, my painting skill set is a work in progress. I’ll stick with it.

What I wish I could do, and hope to work on it in time, is to be able to look past my subject matter and allow an intuitive expressiveness to show- like the painting of your daughter as though she is seen through transparent pieces of colored glass, or your wife’s “cancer portrait” with spiraling colored geometric form. Lucious paint is a baby step away from illustration. What you are doing is art on a completely different level- at least to my understanding.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 PM

Maybe "art" is not the right word for my other endeavors. I am a photographer and make multi-media shows for myself and friends. I have written a book (just published) and have 2 more planned.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Maybe "art" is not the right word for my other endeavors. I am a photographer and make multi-media shows for myself and friends. I have written a book (just published) and have 2 more planned.
Photography can definitely be art. Writing can be art. Cartooning can be art (think R. Crumb).

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
What I wish I could do, and hope to work on it in time, is to be able to look past my subject matter and allow an intuitive expressiveness to show- like the painting of your daughter as though she is seen through transparent pieces of colored glass, or your wife’s “cancer portrait” with spiraling colored geometric form. Lucious paint is a baby step away from illustration. What you are doing is art on a completely different level- at least to my understanding.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Back in the old days, when there was just over 1000 web pages ...in the world, and we wondered if it would ever get to a million, I was listed on the first database of artists. I was listed as an expressionist. I did not know then, and I do not know now, what that means.

I suppose it is a name that means expressing things intuitively. But what does that mean? The wife cancer painting was intuitive, I guess, in a way. I called it Embryonic Orbit, and those swirling forms, because I was thinking about cancer cells. I am not sure what intuition really is, or means. I do know that some of the best work I have done comes from paying attention. Then not being attached to it.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Definitely agree about not letting color-blindness stop you from making some art.

I mentor young people in my job, studying birds. Here are a couple pencil sketches from two of them (my thumb/fingers LOL). And a 3rd example with colored pencils, which one of the other kids uses a lot.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-21-2021, 02:32 PM

Back in the day, I had a reasonable natural talent at drawing. I even roughed out a comic strip in my early teens. However I never pursued it with actual training to get good. My eye for images served me well as a photographer - my camera did the painting for me. It was a conscious decision that I never regretted.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:33 PM

I was a high school jock that wouldn't stay out of art class. We had a very nice art program complete with hot instructors. I began working art glass 25 - 30 years ago. Most of my glass was created using a torch. One thing led to another and I began working precious metals i.e. silver and gold, a so called art jeweler. Still had a day job but my vacation time went to art shows. Taught jewelry for the community college until we moved to Zig Zag. Just to far to drive. Started wood working a few years ago. Now I'm building pet cremation boxes, gift boxes and etc. And I have line of jewelry specific to Mt Hood. Too bad all our gift shops are gone.

Disclaimer - I am not trying to sell you something...
Old 01-21-2021, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Back in the old days, when there was just over 1000 web pages ...in the world, and we wondered if it would ever get to a million, I was listed on the first database of artists. I was listed as an expressionist. I did not know then, and I do not know now, what that means.

I suppose it is a name that means expressing things intuitively. But what does that mean? The wife cancer painting was intuitive, I guess, in a way. I called it Embryonic Orbit, and those swirling forms, because I was thinking about cancer cells. I am not sure what intuition really is, or means. I do know that some of the best work I have done comes from paying attention. Then not being attached to it.

I believe that.
It’s the detachment that is difficult for me.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
Definitely agree about not letting color-blindness stop you from making some art.

I mentor young people in my job, studying birds. Here are a couple pencil sketches from two of them (my thumb/fingers LOL). And a 3rd example with colored pencils, which one of the other kids uses a lot.

John

John,
Your work sounds very interesting.
I’m a “bird nerd” according to my eye rolling teenagers.

Beautiful drawings!
Old 01-21-2021, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
I was a high school jock that wouldn't stay out of art class. We had a very nice art program complete with hot instructors. I began working art glass 25 - 30 years ago. Most of my glass was created using a torch. One thing led to another and I began working precious metals i.e. silver and gold, a so called art jeweler. Still had a day job but my vacation time went to art shows. Taught jewelry for the community college until we moved to Zig Zag. Just to far to drive. Started wood working a few years ago. Now I'm building pet cremation boxes, gift boxes and etc. And I have line of jewelry specific to Mt Hood. Too bad all our gift shops are gone.

Disclaimer - I am not trying to sell you something...

Jcave,
I may know a group of folks who would be interested in small, decorative, wooden containers to store their picks and capos. [emoji3]
Old 01-21-2021, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
John,
Your work sounds very interesting.
I’m a “bird nerd” according to my eye rolling teenagers.

Beautiful drawings!
Ha ha. My gmail is "birdnerdie". After some major medical events that began in 2007, I had to restructure a bit at work. Gave up the graduate student advising, shifted to, of all things, teenagers! I'm surrounded by a pack of teen nerds the past decade. About 15 girls and only 4 boys thus far. I get to show them techniques in the Museum work (yes, stuffing dead birds) and in the field (catching, tagging, tracking live ones).

It can get very chatty and we have a great time of it all. I'll be with two (twin sisters) - who got this all started 9 years ago- tomorrow. They are of course about to finish to college now, and still hanging around.........to the point where I had to start paying them. LOL.

I love that they are like to keep a field journal and those are full of art sketches from the field work. I used to be pretty good at such sketches but, had to make some choices with time along the way....... I now do a lot of photography and I edit, and it takes time. Definitely an art to that.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-22-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Jcave,
I may know a group of folks who would be interested in small, decorative, wooden containers to store their picks and capos. [emoji3]

My favorites to make.

Following AGF guidelines, I can't come here to sell as I am not a site sponsor. Kerbie already has enough work.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
My favorites to make.

Following AGF guidelines, I can't come here to sell as I am not a site sponsor. Kerbie already has enough work.

That’s looks beautiful and functional. Well done.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:26 PM

Artist photographer here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic