The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin'Robin View Post
I'm using a Mic Mechanic 2 before the mixer for my vocals and it works great. So the reverb itself is not a deal breaker for me. Actually I've been using my Mic Mechanic 2 with any system/mixer I've tried so far as its delay+reverb seems way better than anything else. Including the reverb on the S1 pro that I find usable, can save the day but not great.

I've yet to see what I can achieve with a digital mixer like a behringer XR12. Supposedly the effects are awesome and can be tweaked.
I was staying away from any other attachments to the system but if its a big difference in reverb quality then I might have to go that route since I like everything else about the system. I don't understand why companies try to give you 50 effects that are almost useless and not give few that are great.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I hate the fact that you HAVE to use both the extension poles. I wish they had designed in a way where you could use 1 or 2 extension poles. When I am playing at home I don’t want the speakers up so high.

I think I mentioned this before but I can't help myself and will add a link this time: Apparently a short-pole produced for the Evolve 50 will fit in this unit, since it pops up as a popular accessory for the 30m at Sweetwater (I would verify of course before ordering).

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...n-speaker-pole

The harshness-while-close and the reported mediocrity of the reverb have had me holding back on this one (well plus there's no pressing need for me to have this right now but I want it, or something like it.)
Oh man, thank you for this link. Looking at the connection points I think it will work and if it does it will make me very happy . $100 for that little piece is a bit too much, but if it works out I guess I will buy and then think about the 15% off that I got with the 30M
Old 03-10-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schataut View Post
Oh man, thank you for this link. Looking at the connection points I think it will work and if it does it will make me very happy . $100 for that little piece is a bit too much, but if it works out I guess I will buy and then think about the 15% off that I got with the 30M
When companies put folks without any knowledge about their won product it's hurting the companies in a big way. EV seem to be doing pretty good about putting people without any knowledge out there. This is the 2nd time I have faced this situation. I just chatted with a rep about using the short pole on 30M and the response I got:

"I have found that the Evolve 50 Short Column is not interchangeable with the 30M. I would advise reaching out to our presales team for further information"

Then I messaged sweetwater and got the following response:

"Hello yes it will work just fine, thanks!"

I believe the response from sweetwater rep.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schataut View Post
When companies put folks without any knowledge about their won product it's hurting the companies in a big way. EV seem to be doing pretty good about putting people without any knowledge out there....
It wouldn't be the first time a company rep didn't know what he was talking about! I trust the gang at Sweetwater--and agree that $100 is a lot for this but I expect it will solve this problem.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
It wouldn't be the first time a company rep didn't know what he was talking about! I trust the gang at Sweetwater--and agree that $100 is a lot for this but I expect it will solve this problem.
I found a used one on Amazon for 68 bucks and just ordered it Thanks once again for the info.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:01 AM

Any updates on the 30m from those that own it? This still looks like the most promising stick out now.

I like the tone, reverb, EQ, feedback control, and portability of my Fishman SA... but it’s not THAT much louder then my 60 watt Loudbox Mini (108dbl vs 113dbl). Don’t get me wrong that is a testament to Loudboxes.

It just feels like I have two pieces of gear that perform similarly when I want one that is significantly louder/punchier. I can always use 2x 12’s on stands(maybe 1 out of every 10 situations) but I really want something that fits between that and a small 108dbl setup(also used maybe 1 out of 10 times for only the smallest occasions).. so that I would have a stick setup that is used 8 times out of 10 situations. Does that make sense?

Are you guys keeping your Evolve 30m’s, and have you found a way to use it as a monitor without harshness to the performer (or should it just be used FOH in addition to a small floor monitor)?

Last edited by jpino; 05-13-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:41 PM

After putting my sights on a Maui 11G2, I ended up with the 30M. I actually ordered the Maui, but it arrived damaged on the same day that I found a 30M for 30% off MSRP.. It was a bit more than I had planned to spend, but I couldn't resist. So far I am quite happy with it, and let me tell you, it sounds good, has wide coverage, and is LOUD. I used mine for an outdoor movie night and it easily handled a seating area of about 60' x 50', with power to spare.

Setup is also as easy as they tell you it is, it snaps together like Legos. The mixer control app is even good, I was shocked.

@jpino I wish I could answer your questions better, but I bought the 30M for karaoke and recorded music, not guitar. I only ended up on this forum since it is one of the few places I can find chat about high-quality PAs!

Though, since the 30M is made for guitar and has a high-z input, I now have a beginner's electric guitar on the way. Unfortunately it will be several years before I cam give you an informed opinion about the combination.

If you have any specific questions, I will try my best though.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:53 AM

Can you share where you found it for such a discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
After putting my sights on a Maui 11G2, I ended up with the 30M. I actually ordered the Maui, but it arrived damaged on the same day that I found a 30M for 30% off MSRP..
Old 09-22-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Can you share where you found it for such a discount?
Of course, I should have added that. It was at ProAudioStar.com and I was fortunate enough to find one that was marked as a customer return. It looked too good to be true so I contacted support to confirm it had a warranty and to ask if there was anything wrong, or missing. They said it qualified for a warranty, and was "mint." I decided to try my luck.

When it arrived, it looked like it had never been set up, I can't find any reason it was discounted. There is no stranger's warranty registration to worry about either, you don't have to register EV products ahead of time. (There was no warranty registration card or mention in the box so I contacted EV to ask.)

Right place, right time... I was very lucky.

I read somewhere that there is a lot of margin on these things. If I had not been so lucky, plan B was to contact ProAudioStar and just ask for a 15% off coupon. They send them out occasionally, but when the last one hit, my Maui was in transit from Amazon so I did not need it.

Actually, let me check...

Hey look at that, they have more b-stock/returns!

Evolve 30M for $929 (same deal I got).

https://www.proaudiostar.com/electro...30m-black.html

Evolve 50 for $1150.

https://www.proaudiostar.com/electro...evolve-50.html

Hot dog, those are some deals.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:46 PM

I love my Evolve 30M! Great app control, but the best attribute would have to be it's clarity. Has great volume compared to my Bose S1. I did have one instance where I had Bluetooth disconnect.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:41 PM

Default Comparison with Bose Pro?

I’m curious if anyone has experience comparing the 30M with the Bose Pro series now that those are out. I’m guessing that the Pro8 would be the closest? I’m currently using an L1 Compact for acoustic trio gigs and may want to upgrade a bit in the near future.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin'Robin View Post
- Last but not least : the sound from the performer's perspective. This is where I had the most troubles. When standing at the side of the tower, even a bit forward, what you hear is a LOT of harshness from the top. You need to be a good 2 meters away from the unit to mitigate that, but usually in the places I gig I don't have that much space. So my head is maybe 1 - 1.5m away from the top and I hear harshness. It even prevents you from hearing the bass. I think the tops are pulling a lot of 2 - 4k on its sides. Bad engineering here*? What that means is you get your sound right, in front of the unit. Levels are nice. Then you start your gig and you hear yourself and you're like "I hope this is not what everybody hears, I will tear everyone's ears off". I'm not sure how bad it can be for our hearing but surely it's not good. During the gig there was some point when I believe I adapted my hearing somehow because I could find the bass again in the sound and it didn't seem as harsh as when I just started. Still it was harsh. But the worst thing is that you now hear much more guitar than voice, the guitar having lots of content in this area. So your balance is off - for yourself. So as a PA + monitor solution it is... usable but you must be careful.
Also, I found that in smaller rooms these 2 - 4k being thrown to the sides bounce off and build up, bringing harshness even in front. Fortunately you can use the Graphic EQ to reduce 2.5k with good results.
Just wondering if you have any updates, did you keep it? The portion quoted above is the most concerning to me as I would use the system for my own personal monitoring as well. I’m curious how this compares with one of the Bose pro systems. I’ve read many complaints about the reverb in the evolve system but that doesn’t necessarily concern me as I typically get that from my TC harmonizer pedal. I really like all the features of the evolve 30M and also the price especially considering that wattage and SPL rating it most closely compares to the Bose Pro 16 which is quite a bit more expensive. I’m looking to upgrade in size a bit from my L1 compact and not sure which way to go.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksh24 View Post
Just wondering if you have any updates, did you keep it? The portion quoted above is the most concerning to me as I would use the system for my own personal monitoring as well. I’m curious how this compares with one of the Bose pro systems. I’ve read many complaints about the reverb in the evolve system but that doesn’t necessarily concern me as I typically get that from my TC harmonizer pedal. I really like all the features of the evolve 30M and also the price especially considering that wattage and SPL rating it most closely compares to the Bose Pro 16 which is quite a bit more expensive. I’m looking to upgrade in size a bit from my L1 compact and not sure which way to go.
I happened to bike past a streetfront brewery last weekend where a three-piece band was playing. They sounded awfully good through either a 30M or 50, I couldn't get close enough to tell--I think it was two guitars and three vocalists with the third guy playing bongos or something. They were all lined up in a row in the beer garden, and in fourth position, pretty much in line, was the Evolve. I noticed they all had mini monitors attached to their mic stands, which I thought was pretty slick. Can't say if that was because of the potential monitoring issue mentioned above, or just a great idea anyway.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:08 AM

Anyone currently gigging with this system and how are you liking it?
Old 05-27-2021, 09:18 AM

Just got this last night and plan on using it for the first time this weekend at a small gig. Any setup tips for a first time user? Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification