The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2016, 10:49 PM

Default Dan C. Holloway Lessons ?

Hi There

Has anyone used the Dan C. Holloway lessons? I successfully used a youtube video to learn landslide with the solo finger style. It was a challenge as I have only been playing for 7-8 months so first finger style song. I have it down now and would love to learn more in this style. The youtube video was broken down very well for someone who is a beginner like myself. I would love to bite off something more challenging and willing to be patient but I'm worried that if I subscribe to this site and it isn't broken down thoroughly (like its just him playing the song) I will not be able to use it. So has anyone had experience with his sight? Im concerned because his tutorials seem to be under 10 minutes where as the youtube video I learned from was 30 minutes so I'm thinking that the Dan C. Holloway tutorials are not thorough enough for someone like me. Any advice or experience? It was extremely gratifying to learn landslide. I never thought I would be abl to do that on a guitar.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

I was a subscriber for a while, and found his lessons to be of good quality.

His typical lesson on the site is a performance video of the song, followed by a separate video where he breaks down the song into its various passages. Tab is provided for the lessons.

I go off and on with a subscription, since I'm a slow learner and change focus throughout the year.

hth

D
Old 01-24-2016, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Hi Cabphoto,
He's a fine player. I've seen his site--I think there is a sample complete lesson or two. He does break down the song for you.

He's taught for a long time.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-24-2016, 07:01 AM

He is a very good player and his arrangements are great!
I preferred just to use the tabs to the arrangements I liked rather than the video lessons.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:04 AM

In addition to dhodgeh's description, I would also add that the breakdown presentations are not a note-by-note, "x-finger on y-fret, z-string" description of the tune's execution. Thus it's up to the learner to watch Dan play, listen to the notes, and use the tab for reference. Having spent countless hours as a teenager repeatedly moving a record needle back to what I was trying to learn by ear, the DCH method is pretty familiar. More importantly, IMO, is that this type of instruction/learning improves one's understanding of the fretboard and encourages some experimentation. The result is improved guitaristic musicianship in the long run compared with rote rendition of a tune from tab.

I also go on and off subscription to DCH. There are LOTS of songs on the site and they are categorized in levels of difficulty. It's good to push oneself and I'd encourage you to sign on for at least one month so you can get an idea of the presentations and what you'd be confronting as a learner. That would be plenty of time for trying out a few tunes at the different levels.

Cliff
Pisgah Woodchuck open back banjo
A few parts built Telecasters
Fender Thinline Cabronita Tele
Fessenden D10 Pedal steel
1954 National lap steel
George Boards Weissenborn clone
Old 01-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Thank you all for your advice. I'll give you an update on a month as I'm sure you're all really looking forward to. Haha

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle, lessons