The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 AM

Default Free online music theory lessons

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know about a blog I've just started. Like many I used to neglect the theory side of my playing so decided to try and help others the way I wish I had been. My idea is to start at the very beginning, and build a structured course covering most aspects of music theory. So you need not know a thing, and hopefully in a few weeks or months you'll have a fairly decent understanding of music theory.

Anyway the address is:

http://intromusictheory.blogspot.co.uk/

The first lesson is very basic, but please do keep checking, I'll be moving onto intervals, chord construction, scales, modes, chord progressions etc etc

Also, since this is my first attempt at teaching, any feedback would be really great. You can either post it here, or email me at [email protected]

Thanks everyone and I hope some of you find it useful...

Greg
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Thumbs up

Terrific idea. Hope those that are in need of learning get wind of this blog. Best, J.P.D.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 AM

I appreciate what you're doing and why you're doing it!

Fitz
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks so much for the kind words guys.

For everyone else, the second lesson is now up and running.
Includes how to construct major scales, sharps & flats and whole steps & half steps.

You can find it here:

If you do find it useful all I ask is a comment on here or a quick bump, just to keep the thread alive and kicking...

Thanks everyone
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greff View Post
Thanks so much for the kind words guys.

For everyone else, the second lesson is now up and running.
Includes how to construct major scales, sharps & flats and whole steps & half steps.

You can find it here:

If you do find it useful all I ask is a comment on here or a quick bump, just to keep the thread alive and kicking...

Thanks everyone
I realise it does complicate the issue somewhat, but it's not true to say there is no B#(Cb) or E#(Fb).

B# exists in the key of C# major, and the C# harmonic and melodic minor scales.
E# exists in the keys of C# and F# major, and the C# and F# harmonic and melodic minor scales.
(In fact, you list the F# major scale lower down the page, complete with the correct E#, which may confuse any reader who's just been informed that E# doesn't exist!)
Cb exists in the keys of Gb and Cb major.
Fb exists in the key of Cb major.

IOW, it's true to say that every natural note has a sharp and flat version. It's just that some are enharmonic with natural notes, not just with flat or sharp versions of natural notes.
It also means that there are not 12 major keys but 15: C major, plus 7 sharp ones and 7 flat ones.
Of course, 3 of them are just enharmonic equivalents of others: C# = Db, Cb = B, F# = Gb.
But even if you limit it (quite sensibly) to 12, you have to decide what to call F#/Gb. Both have the same number of sharps/flats, so neither is more common or useful than the other.

Your blog is actually pretty good, it's just that little complications like this will always come up and bite you in the ***. Any time you try and simplify music theory (with the best will in the world), there are always "yes, but"s. (from the odd perceptive student, if not from some smart-alec theorist...)
There IS logic underneath it all, but it can take some digging out!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I realise it does complicate the issue somewhat, but it's not true to say there is no B#(Cb) or E#(Fb).

B# exists in the key of C# major, and the C# harmonic and melodic minor scales.
E# exists in the keys of C# and F# major, and the C# and F# harmonic and melodic minor scales.
(In fact, you list the F# major scale lower down the page, complete with the correct E#, which may confuse any reader who's just been informed that E# doesn't exist!)
Cb exists in the keys of Gb and Cb major.
Fb exists in the key of Cb major.

IOW, it's true to say that every natural note has a sharp and flat version. It's just that some are enharmonic with natural notes, not just with flat or sharp versions of natural notes.
It also means that there are not 12 major keys but 15: C major, plus 7 sharp ones and 7 flat ones.
Of course, 3 of them are just enharmonic equivalents of others: C# = Db, Cb = B, F# = Gb.
But even if you limit it (quite sensibly) to 12, you have to decide what to call F#/Gb. Both have the same number of sharps/flats, so neither is more common or useful than the other.
First off thanks for taking the time out to comment on the blog.

You're absolutely right on everything here. I was / am actually going to address near enough every point you've made in the next blog post. I though it would be much easier to learn the general rules first, then once that has a firm basis I can point out the exceptions. I'm going to talk about the use of B# and E# when I move onto the circle of fifths, hopefully tying it in with when to use flats and sharps and enharmonic equivalents etc. I just didn't want to include B# and E# until I had to. I think it would have been harder to explain all in one go.

But perhaps it was wrong of me to say they don't exist. I'll watch what I say a bit more in future. Again thanks for the pointers though, really appreciate it.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 AM

Jon,

I've amended the bit in the last post about the B#, Cb, E# stuff. I've tried to make it clearer (and more correct). If you get a moment could you take a peek and see if you think it's better?

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Lesson number 3 is now up. The circle of fifths is the main thing covered. Very handy.

You can find it here: http://intromusictheory.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks everyone
Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Just checked out your efforts...thanks, I plan to check back as lessons develop.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Thank you very much for this blog! I have the basics cover but want more. I will have to keep checking in. My son can use this from the beginning.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Thumbs up

Greff...#3 nicely done. J.P.D.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks for all the very kind words guys.

New lesson is up. All about intervals.

Being as it's a fairly complicated topic, any feedback would be really useful. Just to see if I've explained it in a way that everyone understands.

As usual, you can find it here: http://intromusictheory.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks,
Greg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
free, lesson, lessons, theory