The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

I’ve met the owner of Boulevard a few times, but never had repairs done, he seems quite nice. David Eichelbaum is up in Ojai if you fancy a nice weekend drive. He worked on 3 of my vintage guitars and is superb, but expensive.

Anyway, this has been the driest winter I can remember in my 35 years living in Southern California. I’m 3 miles from the beach and my humidifiers have been running non-stop. I now have a 4 gallon evaporator and a 2 gallon mister in my 12 x 15 music room.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I’ve met the owner of Boulevard a few times, but never had repairs done, he seems quite nice. David Eichelbaum is up in Ojai if you fancy a nice weekend drive. He worked on 3 of my vintage guitars and is superb, but expensive.

Anyway, this has been the driest winter I can remember in my 35 years living in Southern California. I’m 3 miles from the beach and my humidifiers have been running non-stop. I now have a 4 gallon evaporator and a 2 gallon mister in my 12 x 15 music room.
I'm about two blocks off the beach...left my music room about an hour ago to work out and humidity was right around 45%. Just walked back in and it's down to 30%. Cannot believe how dry it has been and how quickly it changes.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
I'm about two blocks off the beach...left my music room about an hour ago to work out and humidity was right around 45%. Just walked back in and it's down to 30%. Cannot believe how dry it has been and how quickly it changes.
I agree that this is the driest winter I can remember. Having another "Santa Ana" wind event - they seem to be happening about once per week this year, which is just insane. I live in central Orange County, and the relative humidity outside is currently 7%. My humidifier is running non-stop.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Ted's a great guy, who has sold me more than a few of my stable, and his recommendation would most likely be Dave Neely (just down the street a few miles on Sunset Blvd). It's who he recommended to me when I had a ding that needed fixing, and Dave did a great job. He's also set up three of my guitars, one at full step down, and I've been happy with each job he's done.

That said I've never had anything done as serious as a crack repair, but I'd trust Dave to either say what he could do with it, or refer you appropriately if he can't do anything with it.
To echo this, yes, as far as I know, Ted still recommends David Neely, same as he did five years ago. David is simply the best of the best. He has a small shop and always too many people coming to him, but he's worth the wait IMHO.

You didn't say what part of L.A. you live in. In the Valley area, Eric's Guitars is terrific, and many others too. Eric is in Van Nuys, near the corner of Sepulveda and Roscoe.

scott memmer
Old 02-25-2021, 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've never had a humidity issue in Southern California before this year either. This is a lesson I won't soon forget though. I'm going to give Neely a try.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:22 PM

To echo Scott and Larry, I live in a beach adjacent community (5 miles away but what a difference it makes in rent costs!) and I agree, Santa Anas and dry climate on occasion goes hand in hand with living in So Cal, but this year has been an outlier even given that.

I too have my humidifier running way more than ever.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 02-27-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTone View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've never had a humidity issue in Southern California before this year either. This is a lesson I won't soon forget though. I'm going to give Neely a try.
It's interesting and sheds light on why so many naysayers are so vocal about humidity issues being a farce. It doesn't hit home unless of course, it hits home. I'm virtually on the beach and I can attest to the humidity swings that have been all over the map this year. It's been as extreme as I've ever experienced.

Some years ago I went back to the Ohio River Valley to help with my mom who was in ill health. I was there for two months in July and August and I just wasn't prepared for the intense humidity. My original Breedlove Revival virtually came apart at the seams and had to be returned to the factory. That was my lesson I won't soon forget.

I take my guitars to David. He's as good as it gets and is a blast to hang out with if he has the time.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:11 AM

Hey Joseph,

You're not related to Gary Hanna are you? He used to live in Belmont Shore, too!

scott
Old 02-27-2021, 11:28 AM

1. Lived in LA for decades, and now only 45 minutes away from the Hollywood GC and get down there regularly. That RH is pretty dang consistent around here, is a bit of a misnomer since "around here" is wide geographic swath that ranges from the beaches, to mid city, to the valley ...all of which can be called --albeit loosely-- LA. It absolutely can get super dry here, not only with the seasonal Santa Ana winds, but also think of AC throughout. RH dropping to sub 30% for weeks/months, while not the norm, is not unheard of.

2. I've had an acoustic with Dave Neely and yes, I can endorse happily. He knows his stuff, been around with a crazy clientele, but even more he is super friendly and will talk freely with you about your desires. Go with confidence.

3. Norik Renson at Renson guitars in Studio City. Another maven of serious skill (likewise with a who's who for clientele), and also great rapport with mere mortals like me who walk through the door. Absolutely would trust a crack repair with Norik.

Edward
Old 02-27-2021, 01:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
1. Lived in LA for decades, and now only 45 minutes away from the Hollywood GC and get down there regularly. That RH is pretty dang consistent around here, is a bit of a misnomer since "around here" is wide geographic swath that ranges from the beaches, to mid city, to the valley ...all of which can be called --albeit loosely-- LA. It absolutely can get super dry here, not only with the seasonal Santa Ana winds, but also think of AC throughout. RH dropping to sub 30% for weeks/months, while not the norm, is not unheard of.

2. I've had an acoustic with Dave Neely and yes, I can endorse happily. He knows his stuff, been around with a crazy clientele, but even more he is super friendly and will talk freely with you about your desires. Go with confidence.

3. Norik Renson at Renson guitars in Studio City. Another maven of serious skill (likewise with a who's who for clientele), and also great rapport with mere mortals like me who walk through the door. Absolutely would trust a crack repair with Norik.

Edward
Never been to him, but yes, Norik has a fab rep in town.

sm
Old 02-28-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Hey Joseph,

You're not related to Gary Hanna are you? He used to live in Belmont Shore, too!

scott
Naw Scott...Joseph Hanna was (is) my pen name from way back, when I did a lot of stuff and was submitted to BMI.

Lotta GREAT musicians in Belmont though!
Old 02-28-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post

Edward
I lived in Topanga for years and the RH rarely, if ever budged. I never gave it a thought. Down here in Belmont it's been catastrophic this year. This morning with the Santa Ana's it was (gulp) 7% and that's 200 feet from the ocean. It's just been a Titanic struggle this year.

Go with David Neely.....he absolutely knows his stuff.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:07 PM

^^^Ooooh yeah, the Santa Anas change everything! But 7%RH by the beach? ....yeaowza!!

For you non-SoCal folks that translates to seasonal uber-dry winds that's more than an inconvenience for we wonks with acoustics on the walls, but is one of the chief reasons we have wildfire risks so often here.

If you've got guits out of their cases that you care about, one needs a hygrometer and room humidifier in these dry climes; just no getting around that.

Edward
Old 02-28-2021, 11:52 PM

I see a lot of folks recommend Neely on Sunset. I wish I could say the same. I can't. Either he's good and just mailed in an effort on the two guitars I dropped or he really just does setups and adjustments. If you want details, just PM me.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Naw Scott...Joseph Hanna was (is) my pen name from way back, when I did a lot of stuff and was submitted to BMI.

Lotta GREAT musicians in Belmont though!
Thanks Joseph! carry on..

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion