The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Thanks for all the info

OK. I'm convinced. No nylon on my Dread Jr. I will order a set of silk and steel as that is not a big investment other than the time to install. A lot of lovely classical guitars out there at reasonable prices. Tempting. Thank you all.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:23 AM

It is very do-able,firstly as there is less tension on the neck it will not harm the guitar.The reply which stated that the strings may not fit the nut is correct but is easy to get round with a replacement nut cut appropriately.(doesn’t cost much)I have put nylons on a couple of acoustics with no issues,intonation was not affected,volume was lower,but that is to be expected and a slight adjustment to neck relief might be desireable.If you want to give it a go,you may like it,and if you dont ,well,just go back to steel .You will never know until you try it,but you certainly won’t harm the guitar.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:09 AM

Hopefulpicker I don’t know how long you’ve been playing or if you’ve experienced a classical guitar but I got a Yamaha cg101 cheap just to see what they’re like and man it feels like you’re fretting a 2x4 with a trampoline on top of it. The strings themselves are easier on the finger tips but it wears my fingers and forearm muscles out quick.

I love that nylon sound for strumming certain songs so I got a crossover style guitar and it’s a gem.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:57 AM

Silk and steel strings are great, and I would try them first. But they are not the only option. There are also strings designed specifically as low tension. The brands I recommend are GHS thin core, Newtone Heritage, and Optima vintage flex. The Newtones are great, but they do have to be ordered from the website in England. No big deal, it will just take a couple weeks for them to arrive.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:15 PM

Intonation with nylon will not be greatly affected...but you would get an idea what nylon feels and sounds like. It's just an experiment.

I liked Silk and Steel on my acoustic...but with my classical I only use gut. Never going back to nylon or steel
Old 02-26-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Intonation will be shot to pieces using nylon strings with a bridge intonated for steel strings. A classical guitar typically has a straight-across bridge saddle with no compensation because the strings don't vary as much in dimension or mass from E to e as they do in a steel strung guitar.
Actually the G string is normally compensated rather than the B string on a SS.

I have tried nylon on a SS guitar. Not something I consider the best tone-wise but not horrible. The quieter playing might even help out with family harmony for those starting out. I have tried light electric strings, same with the nylon, not great but to get a newbie off and running something that can be considered. If considering a nylon guitar and then wanting to go to SS the standard classical neck is wider and your finger memory might be off going to a narower SS guitar afterward. It would be easier using a crossover with their narrower neck.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulpicker View Post
I own a Martin Dreadnaught Junior guitar. Teaching myself (trying) from Frederick Noad and Mel Bay books. I would like to try nylon strings. Can I replace the top 3 strings with nylon without damaging the balance of the neck?
Should I instead replace all 6 strings with nylon? I know the sound will be totally
different, but my main concern is not to damage the neck. Thanks for your advice.

NO. Just. . . NO.

Steel string guitars are made for steel strings. It'll sound ugly, 3 strings or 6 strings.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 03-08-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulpicker View Post
I own a Martin Dreadnaught Junior guitar. Teaching myself (trying) from Frederick Noad and Mel Bay books. I would like to try nylon strings. Can I replace the top 3 strings with nylon without damaging the balance of the neck?
Should I instead replace all 6 strings with nylon? I know the sound will be totally
different, but my main concern is not to damage the neck. Thanks for your advice.
Nope, the nut slots are cut for steel, nylon unwounds are wider. You wish to do this to make your guitar easier to play and learn on, correct? So: Drop your tuning down a full step to D-G-C-F-A-D (low to high) and slap on a capo before the 2nd fret, voila! Now play as if the 2nd fret is the nut. Your action will be crazy low and the string tension will be greatly reduced. There may be some fret buzz do to the lower string tension but it probably won't interfere with your playing.

Need help finding your positions on the neck? Perfectly legal to put temporary fret making on the side with little triangles of masking tape. I did that (I do confess) the first time I played a stand up double bass.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 03-08-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Put some light or extra light strings on your Jr and capo at the first fret....that will help a lot. The Jr is a great guitar, beware of the nut width on any nylon string guitar you think about purchasing. The crossover at 1 7/8 is your best bet. Think Taylor. Best of luck to ya !
Old 03-08-2021, 04:28 PM

Totally agree on switching to extra light strings. I use 10's on smaller size acoustic, sounds fine and I simply love the feel of it, that combined with a good setup doesn't get any better.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
NO. Just. . . NO.

Steel string guitars are made for steel strings. It'll sound ugly, 3 strings or 6 strings.
A bit of difference between performing for someone or doing scales for hours. Guess you would really disprove on my nylon with steel strings (please no one else do this unless you know what you are doing, really know how guitars are made).
Old 03-08-2021, 11:09 PM

I have not read all the replies, so forgive me if suggested.
Try electric strings, go from light to heavier as you learn - then after a few months switch to acoustic strings
Old 03-10-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
A bit of difference between performing for someone or doing scales for hours. Guess you would really disprove on my nylon with steel strings (please no one else do this unless you know what you are doing, really know how guitars are made).
Am I reading this right? Did you mean steel strings on a classical? And the bridge hasn't pulled all the way off yet? Hard to believe.

Back when I worked at a music store 50 yrs ago we sold dozens of cheapo nylon string guitars and always told the customer NO steel strings. One time a lady came in with hers, offspring had put steels on it and of course it was ruined - bridge pulled off etc. She was literally screaming "NO ONE TOLD ME" and my coworker, lacking in custserve skills, tried to argue with her...mistake. Of course the boss just shrugged and gave her another, stuff happens.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 03-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Here is a bit more info on the Silk and Steels as per GHS' website. I really like the feel of their strings. (Note: The sample video sounds a bit brash with 11-48s on a Taylor guitar. I use the 12-54s on an Alvarez and it is much warmer and more balanced sounding so it will vary from guitar to guitar.)

https://www.ghsstrings.com/products?...silk-and-steel

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 03-10-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 03-11-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
Am I reading this right? Did you mean steel strings on a classical? And the bridge hasn't pulled all the way off yet? Hard to believe.

Back when I worked at a music store 50 yrs ago we sold dozens of cheapo nylon string guitars and always told the customer NO steel strings. One time a lady came in with hers, offspring had put steels on it and of course it was ruined - bridge pulled off etc. She was literally screaming "NO ONE TOLD ME" and my coworker, lacking in custserve skills, tried to argue with her...mistake. Of course the boss just shrugged and gave her another, stuff happens.
I bought the guitar for $30, it came with a case. I wanted the case and would not even give away the guitar and have the person give up guitar. It was hardly used, mile high action, needed a neck reset. It did not have any braces other than the transverse brace and the bridge plate. I did some surgery on the back braces, cut them down a third. Did some carving of the body we will not talk about here. It was a dog before, overbuilt to last but not to perform, I got it sounding pretty good for what it is. Mind you, I have built a few guitars on my own so I have an idea how much you can get away with. If the scale length was a little greater, had a truss rod (could use some more relief), and it had a radiused fretboard I doubt I would need to make myself a replacement any time soon. When I do make its replacement I would have no qualms about giving it away for someone to learn with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion