The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2021, 11:49 PM

Default Pickup that reduces string noise

I play a Taylor ES2 equipped guitar that, with a ToneDexter, generally sounds very good. However, the accentuated string noises are driving me crazy. I fingerpick, using my nails, and the nail clicking on the string and scraping along the windings of the G and D strings are driving me crazy. As are some weird pinging overtones.

I’m thinking that my style of playing is just not compatible with the ES2 pickup, which tends to be very sensitive to string noises. So, I’m looking at other pickup options. The Dazzo sounds very nice, but some of the demos have a hint of the same string noises. The Trance Amulet looks promising, but not sure about the feedback resistance. Also looking at the Barbera Soloist, which looks like it minimizes string noises.

Looking for anyone using one of these pickups that can verify how the pickup handles the microphonic string noises, especially when the fingernail scrapes along the windings of the G and D strings?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
Looking for anyone using one of these pickups that can verify how the pickup handles the microphonic string noises, especially when the fingernail scrapes along the windings of the G and D strings?
Can you record it and post it using soundcloud?

Sounds like you could EQ it out...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-22-2021, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

I love the ES2 but I find that SBT and the ES2 can have this effect. You might be better off with an Anthem unless you can figure out how to reduce it with EQ as Cuki said.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:42 AM

I have had some success using the Source Audio EQ2 to locate the most common problem frequencies and notch them down a bit. The problem is that the frequency changes with the string and fretted note and I can't notch out all of them. I might have to create different EQ patches for various keys and capo positions.

Aeron, it's interesting that you are seeing similar things on the SBT pickups as well. I was thinking that the issue was most likely more pronounced with the UST pickups and I was hoping that the SBT pickups would be less susceptible to the string noise.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
I have had some success using the Source Audio EQ2 to locate the most common problem frequencies and notch them down a bit. The problem is that the frequency changes with the string and fretted note and I can't notch out all of them. I might have to create different EQ patches for various keys and capo positions.

Aeron, it's interesting that you are seeing similar things on the SBT pickups as well. I was thinking that the issue was most likely more pronounced with the UST pickups and I was hoping that the SBT pickups would be less susceptible to the string noise.
I think any UST or Anthem would have less and I like the Anthem so I would go with that. I just try to use EQ and not pay attention to string noise. No pickup is perfect.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I've not noticed any pickup in particular being more or less susceptible to string noise - maybe a little difference here and there, but not significant. If anything, I'd expect SBTs to be a tad better at this, since they sense the movement of the top, while USTs and Magnetics directly sense string vibration.

What I have noticed with virtually every pickup is that you hear all kinds of sounds when amplified that you didn't notice when unamplified. Even using a mic, you suddenly notice everything from squeaks to rustling sounds of you against the guitar body, to your breathing (in the case of a mic). It's just part of being amplified, and something to get used to. You can work on making fewer noises with your technique. You can also use strings that squeak somewhat less.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Jim, not sure if this relevant, but we had a customer with an ES2 that was getting a LOT of strident, pingy attack sound off the pickup, more than I'd ever heard on any ES2. It turns out his pickup system was defective. Taylor replaced it and the problem was gone.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 02-22-2021, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Jim, not sure if this relevant, but we had a customer with an ES2 that was getting a LOT of strident, pingy attack sound off the pickup, more than I'd ever heard on any ES2. It turns out his pickup system was defective. Taylor replaced it and the problem was gone.
It depends on the ES2. There have been different revisions. Maybe having a different version fixed or reduced it for them.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:13 PM

Default My experience...

I know this problem well, because I like to slide and slur, using more vertical string movement that sideways bending. Also I'm a bit sloppy with my left hand! So when I got a Seagull with the Qll mike and UST system, it was a squeek factory. First I changed to coated strings, which helped. Then I gave it to my more talented daughter for Christmas, and I haven't had any trouble with it since. So that's one possible fix, if you have a talented offspring.

Another fix is the Schatten HFN I've put in both my Tacoma and Seagull. I just now realized that I've had zero string squeal with this pickup. The design puts the piezo strip pretty far from the strings. Previously the Taco had a Baggs Lyric, and that mic was slightly susceptible to string squeek, but not bad. (Misspelling added to emphasize my discomfort with the sound.)
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification