The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I have a serious question. A number of posts have stated that many of the windmills are seen as not working. How do you know...because the blades weren’t turning? I’ve passed wind farms in the past where some were turning, others not. I never assumed the latter was because they were non-functional, rather that it was part of operational management. What’s the truth?
I've read about it... on the innernet... where everything is true ...

Here's a dramatic place to read/hear about "renewables"...

Most all of us here on this forum (me for sure) are just
people with opinions.

-Mike

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-23-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Factories run using fossil fuels are ugly and unhealthy.
Factories run using wind turbines are ugly.
...And the factories used to make the wind turbines are unhealthy.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-23-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Let's keep this discussion within the rules, please.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
...a significant issue is “curtailment”. Basically, transmission lines take longer to build than wind farms and the ability to deliver power is limited until the infrastructure catches up...
So, the turbines themselves aren't really the problem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Here is a pic from the Vox article - the new GE wind turbines will max out at 853 feet and be the tallest in the world.
Bigger is always better, they say, ya' know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
...monstrosities placed in an otherwise pristine valley ..... it’s butt ugly.
That's exactly my feelings about places like NYC.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
If you are going to throw around pejoratives, it would be nice to at least get them right. NIMBY is an acronym ("Not In My Back Yard"), used to negatively describe people who don't want things that are unpleasant or hazardous near them but are perfectly willing to allow them elsewhere.
If you're going to respond you might note that I took at word and used it in the same manner as the poster I was quoting.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-24-2021, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Let's drop the personal stuff and get back to the topic.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:13 AM

A house-hold that's been out of power for a couple days, really doesn't care where the electricity is going to come from,

hydro
coal
gas/oil
wind
solar
nuclear

The real expense of your power, is the transmission network and that seems to be the current weak point in our system. Even when there's a massive "black out" and it gets repaired by a simple fix---it is quite complicated just to turn things back on.

Fog

Last edited by Wildgift; 01-24-2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Political
Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A house-hold that's been out of power for a couple days, really doesn't care where the electricity is going to come from
Exactly. And in this country, unless a disaster struck, shouldn't be without power at all.

Over a decade ago, Germany instituted the "Energiewende". A bold plan to completely move away from fossil fuels, eliminate nuclear power and make renewables the predominant energy source by 2022.
Germany in 2021:
They won't make that goal and have to modify the target dates. Coal, Gas and nuclear still account for the largest energy sources. Renewables make up roughly 45%, which isn't bad considering all the infrastructure hurdles they've had to overcome and still do. That's why moving away from coal in the short run will mean larger dependence on natural gas rather than renewables.
What's my point?
I guess I'm holding them up as an example of a large and important economy that is trying to do the right thing, and is on path to do so, but is smart enough to be flexible and not jeopardize its welfare by imposing unrealistic and technologically unfeasible goals and regulations simply for ideological reasons.
That's what I hope for us here too going forward.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-24-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Exactly. And in this country, unless a disaster struck, shouldn't be without power at all.

Over a decade ago, Germany instituted the "Energiewende". A bold plan to completely move away from fossil fuels, eliminate nuclear power and make renewables the predominant energy source by 2022.
Germany in 2021:
They won't make that goal and have to modify the target dates. Coal, Gas and nuclear still account for the largest energy sources. Renewables make up roughly 45%, which isn't bad considering all the infrastructure hurdles they've had to overcome and still do. That's why moving away from coal in the short run will mean larger dependence on natural gas rather than renewables.
What's my point?
I guess I'm holding them up as an example of a large and important economy that is trying to do the right thing, and is on path to do so, but is smart enough to be flexible and not jeopardize its welfare by imposing unrealistic and technologically unfeasible goals and regulations simply for ideological reasons.
That's what I hope for us here too going forward.
It's better to set a target and miss it rather than not set one at all.

While I broadly agree with your points they can also be used to 'kick the can down the road". We have proven technologies that are increasingly cost effective and can be scaled up..

Of course we could wait for the next "big thing" but we could end up waiting for fusion or Dyson Spheres, we don' t have time for that.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:39 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Let's drop the personal stuff and get back to the topic.
Which was simply whether or not he'd be able to seem them if I remember correctly.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:50 AM

Electricity produced by wind makes up 2.64% of the U.S. consumption. (24% of 11%)

Old 01-24-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Electricity produced by wind makes up 2.64% of the U.S. consumption. (24% of 11%)

Assuming your chart is correct, the statistic that shows wind providing more in the renewables sector than hydro is astounding. In NC we have hydro plants that have been in service since 1919. Wind farms are a fairly new thing, Duke Energy ( local utility in our area) has been investing in those for the last 20 years or so.
There are also more and more solar farms being brought on line here in North Carolina. Renewables will probably never completely supply the base load but they certainly have proven to be an economically viable way to supplement the peak power needs.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I guess that's what energy independence looks like. A truly significant achievement for such a large country.
I hope we can keep that advantage as we methodically and rationally transition over to alter the percentages in favor of cleaner energy sources.
I think we can do it.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-24-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
Assuming your chart is correct, the statistic that shows wind providing more in the renewables sector than hydro is astounding. In NC we have hydro plants that have been in service since 1919. Wind farms are a fairly new thing, Duke Energy ( local utility in our area) has been investing in those for the last 20 years or so.
There are also more and more solar farms being brought on line here in North Carolina. Renewables will probably never completely supply the base load but they certainly have proven to be an economically viable way to supplement the peak power needs.
Duke made the last hydro plant on the Savannah River in the 80's...
For a year or so before they filled up Lake Russell I rode my 82 cr250
all over there, it was great ! All the good places to make dams
are probably used up now, or else there's way too many people to
flood out. Now that wind is a thing, there's probably a bunch of
places to keep on building that out...

The mountains and valleys of Appalachia once contained what seemed to be an inexhaustible supply of timber. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachia

Think of how many windmills there'd be if we scaled them out to run all our
cities. Do we have an "inexhaustible supply" of wind? Wind energy isn't
magic... what would be the repercussions of sucking all that energy out
of "the weather system"...? Is that question discussed in a non-whacko
way anywhere?

-Mike
Old 01-24-2021, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

I think there is a reason why most wind development is in remote areas. The development of a wind farm requires a lot of land, there are plenty of sites in undeveloped areas that lend themselves to this. All you really need is a convenient place to bring a transmission line to the wind farm and it's on the grid.
Solar farms don't require as much land to be economically viable and they are certainly less obtrusive visually to the general populace. As solar technology improves I'll bet it will eclipse the other renewables ( pun intended).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion