The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 04-17-2019, 05:16 PM

Default Tonewood Amp install

Has anyone ever installed a tonewood amp on an emerald synergy X20 harp guitar.....doesn't seem like my arm would reach far enough into the side sound port to install the X brace towards the back of the guitar if I were to buy one.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM

I don't know about the reach into the interior, but what about your dual source of sound?
And I'm not sure if TWA has a splitter yet for the amp; as you would need two pickups fed into the TWA--one for the harp arm sound and one for the guitar strings. Otherwise, you're only amplifying one half of the guitar.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 PM

The dual pickup system has the option of running in stereo or mono with a built in selector switch so no issue there.....I may end up buying the TWA and temporarily mount it to the back with 3m tape until I can figure out a way to get the X brace mounted where I need it.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Ed, I have an early Holloway HG AND a TWA; what pick-up are you thinking of using for the harp soundhole?
The standard size of course are too large. Would you use a soundboard pickup? Active or passive (I hate wires hanging all over!)? Under the bridge for the harp strings?
I've looked at the small adhesive mounted pickups--for directly under the harp soundhole--but I forgot what the brands were.

p.s. The TWA is currently mounted in my 12 fret slope shoulder dred, and I love what it can do.
p.p.s. Oh wait...now that I reread your post #3, the Synergy comes with a dual pickup system already installed?

Last edited by Naboz; 04-20-2019 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 04-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Yes the synergy harp already has the active LR Baggs element system installed so my only issue is physically mounting the tonewood amp X brace inside the guitar......The emerald X 20 carbon fiber doesn't have conventional sound ports like most wooden harps but instead has one port on the side that faces up projecting sound towards the player.....I need someone with a small arm or possibly a grabber type tool to place the X brace where I would want the TWA mounted on the back.....I honestly don't know how they even mounted the pickup system in these guitars since I have pretty small arms and could never reach where they mounted the pickup components.....Emerald must have special installation tools for this.

Last edited by ed62; 04-20-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:29 AM

I'm not sure Alistair's method for pickup installation, but I could see how it would be difficult through his offset soundhole.

As for mounting TWA, somewhere in the center of the back would be adequate, I don't think it matters as much where it mounted as long as it doesn't impede the player. I've installed 2 of these in our Tonedevil models with success. The only downside I noticed is they can't get too loud without creating a feedback loop. I had hoped it would act more as an amplifier than an effect module. But the effects are pretty cool in addition to the harp sympathetics.

Last edited by TonedevilGuitar; 04-26-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:41 AM

I got the TWA yesterday and was able to mount the X brace through the sound hole ,although it wasn't quite centered where I wanted it....there is no way to see anything once your arm is in the guitar but it all turned out well anyway....The Tonewood amp sounds incredible on a harp guitar once you get the settings adjusted.....Cant wait to play around with it some more when I have time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar