The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Sold: Gibson Nick Lucas maple/Adirondack

1. Gibson Nick Lucas from Wildwood guitars. I upgraded the tuners and saddle. I still have the original tuners and saddle. Tuners are Waverlys, replaced with the exact same ones. It is in good condition except for a significant finish defect on the back and side of the bottom of the lower bout. Here are a video And pictures of this guitar. $xxx

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcBn38hffQw

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QZ2FQVCHWHwpd7RPA

The finish defect...
I took the Gibson to a shop today in Akron, Lay’s Guitars. They said they have seen this before and it is from the humidipacks that people sometimes put inside the guitar. It would be a situation where someone just put it in there and left it against the wood instead of in a pouch in the soundhole especially if it broke open. Then the stuff inside, whatever that is, kind of gets the wood wet. Eventually it affects the finish. They would refinish for $450, but I think I will leave it alone. It doesn’t affect the playability. They said, “enjoy playing the heck out of it knowing it’s not perfect and there’s no worries about that first dent!”

With that said, I am okay with it the way it is and can’t see fixing it. Similar guitars in better condition go for a lot more. But whether I sell or keep, its good to know the cause and learn from it. Beware of humidipacks directly on the wood.

Last edited by Psfam; 02-29-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Default Pictures added

Here are a few pictures but there are more in the links above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3859.jpg (39.4 KB, 895 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3860.jpg (39.3 KB, 899 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3863.jpg (46.8 KB, 902 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3864.jpg (30.9 KB, 898 views)

Last edited by Psfam; 01-10-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:24 AM

Default For sale Martin 00-17 or Gibson Nick Lucas maple

Any questions? These guitars continue to be played in my home. They are not perfect, not “collectors.”

These are players and don’t need any work to serve well and be enjoyed. They are beautiful sounding instruments and easy to play.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

PM sent.Thanks!
Old 01-06-2020, 05:18 PM

Default A new year

Happy New Year!

Anyone interested?
Old 01-06-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Greg K at Wildwood makes any guitar he plays sound good, but I really like the tone of the Gibson Nick Lucas. Wish it had wider string spacing.

GLWTS
Old 01-07-2020, 06:18 AM

Default More information

I have added more information to the first post including my thoughts on the finish defect and additional pictures of the Martin including the repairs bill.

I appreciate the questions several of you have asked and want to be forthcoming. If there are other questions please ask. We see many “mint, pristine, like new” guitars on this forum.

Neither of these falls in any of those categories, and they are priced accordingly. I am not a collector, but a player. I have bought, sold, and traded many over the past ten years. It’s a fun hobby.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:04 PM

Default Defect

Bump for new explanation of finish defect and caution in use of humidipacks. It’s in the edited first post.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:33 PM

Default Question

I am bumping this to get some opinions.

If you’ve read this thread you understand my dilemma: repair or leave alone. The defect affects the monetary value but not the play value. I love playing this guitar! Right now I am playing it more because my other similar guitar is away for a binding repair...Martin needs to work on binding! This is the third one I have had binding lift at the waist. Two came to me that way used, and the third I purchased new and experienced this within the first 1-2 years. But I am off topic...

Would someone like to buy it at a great price “as is”? Make me an offer.

Or should I get it repaired and then try to sell it? I feel like even if no one can tell there has been a repair, the selling price still if affected. If I had it repaired and it looked great, what do you think it would sell for? Or what would YOU pay for it? Perhaps the answer to that question should be through a private message.

Thanks.

Last edited by Psfam; 02-01-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:53 PM

PM sent to you.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:28 PM

Default Going to get refinished unless someone wants to buy

I will be headed to pick up my Martin 00-14 from repair soon and decided I will take this guitar to have refinish done. It will cost $400, so if someone is interested in the guitar as is, let me know.

This is a custom guitar with Adirondack top, maple back and sides, hide glue construction, brand new Waverly tuners, brand new saddle and bone pins. And a “certificate of authenticity” in the case. Refer to the video in the original post if you haven’t already. I am taking myself out of this...may change my mind. Make it my “travel guitar.”

Last edited by Psfam; 02-29-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:14 AM

Sent you a pm on the Nick Lucas.
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars