The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks guys. I really loved my Taylor GAs but on a whim tried a Martin HD28 at Guitar Center and immediately knew that was the tone I'd been looking for. Had a false start along the way when I purchased a D28, but the tone of that particular guitar was off-putting. I also owned a couple of Taylor dreads (710 and 810) as well as a 317; but again, the tone just wasn't what I wanted from a dread...
What a beautiful pair you have there!!! I had a very similar experience as you this summer while at Gruhns. I'm only 2 years into this guitar hobby, but I'm not new to music having nearly become a professional orchestral trombonist and playing high level amateur brass for a number of years. When I decided that I wanted a decent US made guitar, looking at retail prices, Taylor SEEMED to have the lowest prices. I've owned and traded a couple of Taylors and with each new acquisition and trade, I got closer and closer to what I wanted with the light classical music I typically play fingerstyle (flesh only). I had never considered Martins as I thought I couldn't afford them. While on vacation last summer in Nashville, I played a couple of Martins while at Gruhns that I liked better than any Taylor I had played, and when I remarked that it was too bad I couldn't afford one, the guy there told me it wasn't uncommon to get 35-40% off of list price for Martins as compared to 15% off for Taylor. Talk about an eye-opening experience! Martins that I thought were well outside of my price range actually were not! In no time, I became the proud owner of a whiskey sunset DSS-17. Within 3 days of acquiring it, I liquidated both of my Taylors, a 317e and a 714ce-rosewood -the DSS-17 has a nice BIG sound while maintaining richness - my personal knock on Taylors is that although many of them have a great tone, few of them produce the volume that I want unplugged, and the ones that do, at least the few I've tried, lose the richness that I demand for my playing. While at Gruhns I also remembered liking the HD-28 a lot, and when I told my local store salesman about it, he then introduced me to a demo that was for sale. I loved it - in after thinking on it for a couple of days, I made that one mine also. With my admittedly limited experience, It is the best guitar I've ever played, with the same big sound as the DSS-17, but with an even richer tone. I have since picked up a new D-16e rosewood and an all sapele D-10e.

Although I'm completely sold on Martin's big rich tone as compared to what I could find with the Taylors I tried, there is no doubt that Taylor could teach Martin a thing or two about:

- The Martin website/promotional materials are not nearly as helpful to a beginner as compared to Taylor. Taylor lays out their different series in a very logical, well thought-out way, and I suppose Martin's long history may behind part of this. But very little descriptions about dreadnoughts versus OMs, 000s, etc. If you know the line well, then none of this matters, but why not try to educate those of us who haven't been playing these models for years? I've been able to deduce a few things from some youtube videos, but Martin should be leading the charge there - plus it makes good business sense. For example, how many guitar consumers know that Martin has an all-solid wood construction line (made in Mexico) that competes favorably in price with the Taylor layered wood line?

- And what is up with Martin's cases? My impression of Martin's standard series is that they are the brand's flagship guitars, but most of these (I know the D45s do not) ship in these plastic cases that are very similar to the cheap band instrument cases we had back in the early 1980s. Plastic with metal trim. I consider my HD-28 to be an heirloom quality instrument, and what a shame that it came to me in such an uninspiring case. Contrast this situation with Taylor who ships every one of their US made guitars (even down to their lowest 300 series) in a beautiful hard shell case. The Martin plastic cases are lightweight, so that is a plus, but in addition to looking cheap, there is no space at all to even put a humidifier or hygrometer. I'm very unimpressed.

Last edited by boneuphtoner; 12-04-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:39 AM

Lol. How is this a wet blanket? I'm saying D-18s are about as good as it gets. The other might be too, but I have no experience there.

You can congratulate someone without actually saying the word, can't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
So, no congratulations? Just the wet blanket?

To the OP: Hey, glad you found guitars that light ya up. After playing 0s and 00s for the last 10 years or so, I bought a Martin D Jr as a travel guitar.

Certainly at the bottom of the Martin Dreadnaught food chain but it does do that Dred thing and I enjoy playing it and having that big bottom end on occasion.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Sure, if that's what you think you're saying in response to someone's post where they express joy about a new guitar(s),.. then I'm wrong.

Quote:
Not much better than a good D-18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
Lol. How is this a wet blanket? I'm saying D-18s are about as good as it gets. The other might be too, but I have no experience there.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm saying D-18s are about as good as it gets.
That's how I read it, FWIW.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats, beautiful pair you have there! That's the way to jump into Martinville!

Some day, The right D-18 will come along for me .
Old 12-04-2019, 02:04 PM

I totally get this. I have never owned nor really was interesting in owning a Martin. But recently my interest has been peaked big time. Looking at a D-41. But I cannot keep everything I currently have so will make this decision over time. In the meantime, please stop tempting me with such gorgeous photos and glowing reviews.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 12-04-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Martin Dreads - What's the big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
I totally get this. I have never owned nor really was interesting in owning a Martin. But recently my interest has been peaked big time. Looking at a D-41. But I cannot keep everything I currently have so will make this decision over time. In the meantime, please stop tempting me with such gorgeous photos and glowing reviews.

If it's a reimagined D-41, I can tell you that they're amazing guitars! My 2018 model is one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever put in my hands! I auditioned several HD-28s before I picked it up to play it and it won out over all of them! Loud when you want it, soft when you play it easy, sustain for days and a tone that crosses the tonal spectrum perfectly! Lots of bass, but a rich shimmer that balances it out. They're pretty easy on the eyes too!! If you get the chance to get one, you won't regret it!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Took me a while to become un-enamored with my Taylors (I have three, one of which is going nowhere), but it also took me a while to 'get' the Martin mystique. Tried a bunch of them at a guitar show and left underwhelmed.

But, I had occasion to play one of the re-imaged D-18 a couple of years ago and was smitten by it and took it home. I now have three Martins (four if you count the novelty Woodstock DX that I bought for my wife), which all get more play time than my Taylors, and the couple of other brands that I have.

Luv'em all!

D
Old 12-04-2019, 02:26 PM

Love my D-18 but that amber tone... I'd love one of those as well.
Congrats!

Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Hi RP,

I had to work, scrimp and save to get my first Martin back in the '70s. It was my focus over a good few years.

Then, I started buying and selling until "the" Martin came along - for me it was a '73 D35 which stayed with me from '75 to I think '96/7 when I foolishly sold it to a friend who still plays it and so I get to see it from time to time.

I'm mainly a Collings man now but still very much a Martin man.

I wish you much joy with your two beautiful 'burst babes.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
If it's a reimagined D-41, I can tell you that they're amazing guitars! My 2018 model is one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever put in my hands! I auditioned several HD-28s before I picked it up to play it and it won out over all of them! Loud when you want it, soft when you play it easy, sustain for days and a tone that crosses the tonal spectrum perfectly! Lots of bass, but a rich shimmer that balances it out. They're pretty easy on the eyes too!! If you get the chance to get one, you won't regret it!

Beauteous!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I'm saying D-18s are about as good as it gets. The other might be too, but I have no experience there.

That's the way I took it. No harm, no foul. Thanks to all you for sharing in my joy....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-04-2019, 04:21 PM

As another Taylor fan thinking outside of the box, I am interested in these exact two Martins. I get it. I was the same way. Wouldn't think twice about a Martin. Now I want one badly. Which of the two do you favor RP?
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 12-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
As another Taylor fan thinking outside of the box, I am interested in these exact two Martins. I get it. I was the same way. Wouldn't think twice about a Martin. Now I want one badly. Which of the two do you favor RP?
Each is really wonderful, and they complement each other nicely....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-04-2019, 04:41 PM

Thanks, RP. Not sure why my intention was misunderstood, but I'm glad you didn't take it wrong

Pretty simple concept.

Congrats. I love my D-18. I love my Taylors too. Guitars are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
That's the way I took it. No harm, no foul. Thanks to all you for sharing in my joy....
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion