The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
I actually own more electrics than acoustics and love them evenly.

There is nothing like improv soloing on an electric to free one's soul. It is one of those things you can't explain but must experience to understand.
Abso-freakin-lutely!

On acoustic, I always seem to be working on something, practicing it, trying to learn to do something new, etc. And I love it, but it's usually an act of some discipline. With my electric, whether I crank a rhythm into a looper or on the rare occasion I still play with friends, I can just BLOW, just freaking play, let it flow, don't think it, just DO it.

Maybe I'll get good enough to do something similar on acoustic someday - I'd LOVE to be able to just pick up a guitar and have some finger style blues just flow out of me like that. But I'm nowhere close to that at the moment and may never get there. Sometimes I use the acoustic for some lead breaks on acoustic tracks I'm messing around with recording and that's about as close as I get. But for the most part, I'm nowhere close to being able to do anything on acoustic as unconsciously and freely as I can on electric.

If I played either all the time, I'd burn out on it and need to play the other for a while. But my peak moments still mostly come on electric, and very likely always will...
Old 12-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It's a loaded question, innit? A little like, "Have you stopped beating your wife, yet?" Why does one have to be better?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Abso-freakin-lutely!

On acoustic, I always seem to be working on something, practicing it, trying to learn to do something new, etc. And I love it, but it's usually an act of some discipline. With my electric, whether I crank a rhythm into a looper or on the rare occasion I still play with friends, I can just BLOW, just freaking play, let it flow, don't think it, just DO it.

Maybe I'll get good enough to do something similar on acoustic someday - I'd LOVE to be able to just pick up a guitar and have some finger style blues just flow out of me like that. But I'm nowhere close to that at the moment and may never get there. Sometimes I use the acoustic for some lead breaks on acoustic tracks I'm messing around with recording and that's about as close as I get. But for the most part, I'm nowhere close to being able to do anything on acoustic as unconsciously and freely as I can on electric.

If I played either all the time, I'd burn out on it and need to play the other for a while. But my peak moments still mostly come on electric, and very likely always will...
Well said!! Jamming with friends and improving where it may suck for a while but then you catch that wave and take it to the stratosphere. Nothing like it.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Acoustics smell nicer.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I have always preferred acoustic to electric guitar. When I got paid to play electric, I did. As with a few other posters here, I like the simplicity of acoustic - just the guitar is good enough with no wires, amps, etc. I also much prefer the sound of the acoustic and the music created on it, but that has always been true for me.

This is purely a matter of personal taste.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-01-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Well I play both. Electric in a band but at home I mostly play acoustic. I prefer the experience of picking up a fine instrument and hearing its voice in a quiet setting. I'm finding that after 20 years or more playing with my friends it has become so tiresome that the joy is hard to find. Not so with just me and one of my acoustics. I'm always finding new stuff inside them. I'm close to purging most of my amps and electric guitars and getting down to a simpler music life. Too much stuff is bad for the soul.
I could not agree more. It really is. I think this to be true of most things.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-01-2019, 12:22 PM

I think for me it is the simplicity of acoustics that I like. No wires, no amps, all you and the guitar, etc...I think this is the aspect of things that I really like about the acoustic world...Feels more intimate...Not that I'm getting all sexy up in here with my guitars, but I think ya might know what I mean

I think, for some reason, I also have more appreciation for a finely crafted acoustic than I do for an electric. I say this, and I don't even know why that is...I know, strange...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-01-2019, 12:27 PM

I play in a few country bands for money. I enjoy it, but the necessary ear plugs distract from it to some degree, plus all those late nights hauling equipment out wear me down sometimes. When I'm at home, just for me, I enjoy the simplicity, lower volume levels and solidatary of an acoustic.

Music is a big part of my life. I'm glad I have both outlets at my disposal. They are both fun in very different ways.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

For me, acoustics have a more casual vibe, that you can pick up with family and friends at a moment’s notice and have fun.

I can’t listen to an electric guitar without drums. It just doesn’t sound right. And playing along to existing songs got old even on acoustic after about a year.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-01-2019, 12:51 PM

The pure, natural sound of the guitar.
The beauty of the woods.
There is no need for electricity, cords, amps, pedals.
You can take it anywhere to make nice music.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Even tho I have a business building electric guitars, I own two of my electrics and eight or so acoustics.

I can't say I have a preference, they do different things. Two electrics cover the sounds I want but it takes at least a half dozen acoustics to check my boxes.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Plus, acoustic guitars are individuals,
If you're a lion, all zebras look alike. Plenty of electric players think of acoustic guitar as a bunch of guys sawing away in root position.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Acoustics smell nicer.
If you're playing electric, sooner or later a band will have to become part of the protocol. Soon after a band enters the picture, headaches ensue.

Acoustic guitar involves significantly fewer headaches.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:29 PM

Quite simply, electric guitars do not produce sounds that I am particularly interested in creating or even listening to. And as someone who has spent the last 25 years working in software development and technology, I find something deeply restorative in the beauty and the simplicity of an acoustic instrument.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
My sentiments too. Different strokes for different individuals. I think acoustics are best at certain types of music ... but so are electrics.
Mine also. (Equal love pretty much and will always own both).

I play my Martin down by the river a lot which is hard to do with any one of my electric's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion