The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
That's a very nice looking Martin.
I've got one of those, too. A nice looking Martin, that is.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Guest 928

Eatswodo;

Yes, you have a very nice one of those.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Eatswodo;

Yes, you have a very nice one of those.
Wanted to let oscarvan know he was among friends here, if he was in any doubt. What with the cruel jibes about delivery times being measured in months, years and aeons, a fellow might get a tad confused.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
I own a $15,000 pile of guitars for about $500/year.
I use similar rationalizations when I buy or sell pretty much anything. It's why I rarely eat candy bars or get a fancy cup of coffee at Starbucks (it's easy to avoid as I don't drink coffee though I do drink their hot chocolate sometimes) and why I pay too much for a sturdy jacket or a new miter saw (instead of hiring the over priced contractor). I call it 'Cost Per Use'.

For instance all my guitars are below $2 per hour cost per use these days except for one. My goal is to get them all below $1 per hour including string changes and any shop costs. It's going to take a while unless I sell off some of the woods to recoup some of my expense.

With the new one I will have to play an hour a day on it for at least a dozen years to get there. I am willing to give it a go and plan on enjoying the ride. I might even learn something on the way. Because of this last one I am over a grand a year at the moment, but I don't plan on getting another for a while and that number should drop.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-02-2019, 08:58 PM

I don't drink coffee at those places or anywhere... plus I don't spend much on shampoo (for some reason) and limit myself to 3 vehicles... so that helps me fund a guitar here and there, and camera stuff to photo said guitars.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-02-2019, 10:29 PM

You guys are too funny..... Actually, I have a confession to make.... I have, eh, six Martins. in fact I list them in my sig line.... AFTER the CF's......

So lets see, two and half years at an average of 2-1/2 hours a day is 2281 so I am at $6.50 or so an hour. .. But what I have is worth something, so I'm going to say that I only have to factor my losses, and that puts me at about 87 cents an hour.... ****, I like this technique! Honey? Honey? You hear this man? This makes sense! (Cents?) Honey plays bass. So I don't have the "You and your guitars" drama.... simply "You have more guitars than I do"..... Not much of an argument there.

No Starbucks. Screw that noise. I have a Ford Transit stealth camper with a battery bank, inverter and Keurig style machine. Also has a porta potty and a fridge. Doesn't everyone have these in their cars? Another reason to have a CF. I can leave it in the van without dying of worry. www.flyingdutchman.blog

Tools? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... Let me post you a picture of Muppet Labs with, coincidentally, a Martin in surgery.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4588.jpg (62.6 KB, 53 views)
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog

Last edited by oscarvan; 12-02-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:58 AM

Good confession... understandable. Nice lab too
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 AM

Using expected value to factor cost per use puts you on a slippery slope. I can fiddle with the numbers to make it look like I make money every time I pick up a guitar. Double entry bookkeeping is useful to rationalize a lot, but it's all ephemeral and I'll likely wake up the next day with a massive headache from being hit with a frying pan for my creative math.

That's why I only use outlay. If I am able to recoup some from a sale at some point, then I will factor that in then and not before the sale. I sold a house back around the turn of the century and and dumping in all costs and payments for the house I ended up making money to live there. I like negative rent, but it doesn't always happen. Makes me think I should have kept it, but I try to live simply and not have too many possessions. It gets to be a headache keeping up with it all.

Once the dust settles I might put a guitar or two on the market or more likely give them away to interested youngsters. I know of a few who might be interested just in the family alone.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:30 AM

So, to completely disarm all of you trouble makers regarding the shipping timing of my new baby I offer "exhibit A" received via electronic sorcery this morning. Note that this weeks video will be shot tomorrow....... Yes, you heard it here first!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.27.16 AM.jpg (27.3 KB, 43 views)
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Now I will feel shamed every time I order a Starbucks coffee! But you won't stop me. I'm not a coffee addict, I have a cup every couple weeks. I do have friends that spend $200-$300 a month there....that is CRAZY! So it's a point well taken.

Chloe likes to play tricks on people Oscar, enjoy your new X30 !
Old 12-03-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
So, to completely disarm all of you trouble makers regarding the shipping timing of my new baby I offer "exhibit A" received via electronic sorcery this morning. Note that this weeks video will be shot tomorrow....... Yes, you heard it here first!

Uhhhh ok...enroute time only varies a few months...hope this helps
Old 12-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And this is the opening paragraph from Homer's Odyssey:

Tell me, O Muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide after he had sacked the famous town of Troy. Many cities did he visit, and many were the nations with whose manners and customs he was acquainted; moreover he suffered much by sea while trying to save his own life and bring his men safely home; but do what he might he could not save his men, for they perished through their own sheer folly in eating the cattle of the Sun-god Hyperion; so the god prevented them from ever reaching home. Tell me, too, about all these things, oh daughter of Jove, from whatsoever source you may know them.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-03-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
And this is the opening paragraph from Homer's Odyssey:

Tell me, O Muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide after he had sacked the famous town of Troy. Many cities did he visit, and many were the nations with whose manners and customs he was acquainted; moreover he suffered much by sea while trying to save his own life and bring his men safely home; but do what he might he could not save his men, for they perished through their own sheer folly in eating the cattle of the Sun-god Hyperion; so the god prevented them from ever reaching home. Tell me, too, about all these things, oh daughter of Jove, from whatsoever source you may know them.
LOL...... I actually read that in classic Greek, about a half a century ago.

You guys are killing me. Somehow I feel strangely at home here. Although I do drink a LOT of coffee. No Starbucks though. That's a gateway drug.
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...You guys are killing me. Somehow I feel strangely at home here...
Good to hear, with "strangely" being the operative survival word on the Carbon Fiber subforum....

Last edited by RP; 12-03-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Good to hear, with "strangely" being the operative survival word on the Carbon Subforum....
Sometimes the truth hurts. If you think about it, making guitars out of wood in 2020 is a bit silly. Now, I enjoy driving a 50's car, but I'm not going to make it my daily driver. Nothing strange about that.
www.woodenshoe.blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber