The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone know if Gryphon offers AGF discounts

I always hear talk about these great discounts but haven’t needed one. Found a guitar I want there and curious if anyone has got the 40% msrp I always hear about here or any discount for that matter
Old 12-07-2019, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

bumping this since I didn't get any responses, Anyone?
Old 12-07-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

I would love that! My favorite shop on the Peninsula or South Bay. But typically it’s sponsors I think who do AGF member favors. However, 40% is a common handshake discount for retailers, so I would ask directly if no one here knows. Just make an offer. I’ve haggled one guitar down there before.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-07-2019, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

They are a sponsor, which I was curious
Old 12-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Ask them, make an offer. Then you find out. They will not be offended; it's just normal business for a buyer to want something as cheap as possible.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually offered a blanket discount to forum members (who's to say who is a member and who isn't?), but they might just chuckle and say they'll make an exception for you.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Ask them, make an offer. Then you find out. They will not be offended; it's just normal business for a buyer to want something as cheap as possible.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually offered a blanket discount to forum members (who's to say who is a member and who isn't?), but they might just chuckle and say they'll make an exception for you.
I've been an AGF member for a while, and while the subject of AGF discounts sometimes comes up, I really can't verify that there is a such thing. That's not to say that AGF Sponsors don't offer very competitive pricing, but I don't think it's an automatic ___% discount for members. As the Bard said, just ask the particular dealer about their best price when you're serious about purchasing...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-07-2019, 04:33 PM

I've bought and sold instruments from Gryphon many times, so they know me as a repeat customer. I am not one for hard bargaining but I will cite you one recent transaction I had with them. I paid a sticker price of $600 for an instrument there, which was the same price advertised on the internet from Guitar Center. I didn't even ask for a discount but they gave me a $50 discount when I went to pay. On top of that, when I asked them to throw in a gig bag, they happily complied.

Again I will reiterate that I bought and sold from them before, so you might not get the same treatment if you are not a repeat customer.

Last edited by lfoo6952; 12-07-2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: rewritten for accuracy
Old 12-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Gryphon is a place you go for top notch service, world class repair dept, and knowledgeable staff. Of course their guitar stock being one of the best in the west coast don’t hurt either.

With that said it’s not the place you go if you want the steep discounts offered by few of the dealers we mentioned on this forum.

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 12-07-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post

a phone call will be the best way
Old 12-07-2019, 05:45 PM

I have seen posts that said "I got my guitar from [Sponsor], and with the AGF discount I saved $__ . . ." as if there were some established "AGF discount".

I always figured the sponsors did their bit for AGF by helping to pay to keep it going. I don't know where the idea they also extended an "AGF discount" came from, but the idea definitely exists.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Shoreline Music offered a nice "AGF Discount" on string purchases, that's the only example I'm aware of.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
...I don't know where the idea they also extended an "AGF discount" came from, but the idea definitely exists.
Wishful thinking???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Gryphon was good to deal with got a small discount on a WLS last month a pleasure to deal with. But in my experience Maurys Music and Maury is a hatchet man! Got a great discount on my D 41. I could be wrong I believe they are somewhat limited by the manufacturer terms as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion