The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
To me, Santa Cruz seems to be aiming at the vintage Martin sound but not quite nailing the target.
"Not quite" to me would be an understatement. When I was on a quest for a slotted headstock guitar, I compared a bunch of SC guitars that I found very attractive, and I remember that Martin's 000-15sm won out over all of them, even though it can be had a fraction of the cost.

I've heard Larrivees and Blueridges, and even Recording Kings that I thought got close to nailing the Martin vintage sound, but I wouldn't include SC in that list.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Ok. here's the thing from my POV. I have owned many Martins, some wunnerful some "meh".

in 1999 I was looking for a 12 fret dreadnought.
a dealer assembled - a Martin HD28VS, a Santa Cruz D12, and Bourgeois DS260 (actually one I already owned) and a Collings DS2h.

The Martin was very martinesqe but the neck was too slim.
The Santa Cruz was fine, but again the neck was a little too thin.
The Bourgeois was exquisite in tone and presentation but the neck was too thin and far too shallow for me.
The Collings DS2h - was just right - I bought it and left the Bourgeois there.

I now play mostly Collings and the presentation is always 100%. The tone suits me well - if there is anything wrong with them, I find them very sensitive to temperature. Collings after sales is superb.

I also have a 2012 Santa Cruz "RS" which is a delight but the fit and finish is about average Martin level - i.e OK to pretty good. The Nitro level is soft and more subject to fine scratches than frinstance my Collingses.
The tone is slightly less than I'd hoped for, but the neck suits me very well.
I have asked questions of Santa Cruz which have been answered by Richard Hoover himself. I have had no cause for complaint or warranty issues.

Bourgeois - I wish I could find one that "fits" but he likes his shallow profiles.
I have spoken with Dana - that's cool - he is very enthusiastic.

My opinion of Huss & Dalton has been mentioned here before. I would not entertain another.
I would consider buying another Santa Cruz -but the prices of American made guitars now makes that highly unlikely.

It has just now occurred to me that I have spoken with Chris Martin, and Bill Collings in person, and talked with Richard Hoover and Dana Bourgeois via e-mail.

Despite ordering a very expensive item from H&D they refused to communicate with me.

Below are a Collings Ds1Asb, a SCGC "RS" and a 1964 Martin 12 string.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS1-ASB(2).jpg (25.2 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg SCGC- RS.jpg (22.2 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg Martin D12-20 Custom.jpg (28.9 KB, 247 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 01:27 PM

I have a Santa Cruz Tony Rice Dreadnaught. It can be temperamental and really shines after getting its biennial setup, but its power and voice are beyond any guitar I have ever played.

I can do things with that guitar - let bass notes sustain while picking on top of them, emphasize chord inversions and be heard all over the neck - in ways that I had never experienced prior to the SC.

It's a cannon.

I can honestly say I have not really wanted a new guitar (although I did get a Seagull and a Larrivee for travels) since I bought the Santa Cruz. But I played a Taylor Grand Pacific the other day, and it *might* be time to give the SC a high-end friend.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:07 PM

My love of Santa Cruz guitars started at a Stefan Grossman workshop years ago in Sydney. After playing another attendees stella SC 000-12, this lead me to go find my first one.
7 years ago I bought a used SC 00-12 stika top, mahogany back and sides. It’s a great guitar that I just had refretted.
Earlier this year I bought my second SC a 00-12 Skye which is exceptional.

I’ve only played small body SC guitars but they are all great guitars. I really like the all mahogany ones as well.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Silly, beautiful quiver there. Have you indicated in the past medical issues with your hands or fingers? The reason I ask is I've never had any issues with any necks, but I've also been blessed with very large hands and, aside from one incident of trigger thumb, never had issues. Just curious.

Again, a beautiful trio. Thanks for posting.

scott memmer
Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
"Not quite" to me would be an understatement. When I was on a quest for a slotted headstock guitar, I compared a bunch of SC guitars that I found very attractive, and I remember that Martin's 000-15sm won out over all of them, even though it can be had a fraction of the cost.

I've heard Larrivees and Blueridges, and even Recording Kings that I thought got close to nailing the Martin vintage sound, but I wouldn't include SC in that list.
They’re not “trying” to copy anyone elses sound -

I know that if you were to call Santa Cruz and tell them you wanted a Martin sound, they’d be the first to suggest that you buy a Martin -
Old 11-22-2019, 11:21 PM

SCGC is my favorite of the small production shop builders.

I played their instruments first in the early eighties, and was pretty blown away.

I’ve had an OM from them now for almost 25 years and it’s a keeper.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
..................my experience with Santa Cruz guitars is that some are great, some are not. They're all very well made, and there are no problems with fit and finish. But as with any all-solid wood guitars, the tone will vary from one example to another.

I've played some I wanted to own, others that.......
Wade Hampton Miller
This has been my experience as well. Fit and finish always excellent. Tone wise some are outstanding, others “good” and an occasional “meh”.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:28 AM

I have owned two: an OM-PW whose neck twisted, and a Bob Brozman baritone that was extremely hard to sell because Bob Brozman. No more for me thanks.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
I have owned two: an OM-PW whose neck twisted, and a Bob Brozman baritone that was extremely hard to sell because Bob Brozman. No more for me thanks.
......I would suggest that maybe the BB baritone might have been difficult to sell because the market for high end baritone guitars is extremely small....as far as the twisted OM neck goes...that’s a shame and I reckon no one would regret such an unfortunate development more than SCGC...other than you of course...still a new neck could have been and maybe was fitted...

.....for my own experiences...I have owned seven SCGC guitars and currently own three of them....all excellent guitars although two of them had neck resets prior to me acquiring them...not an issue for me because I consider any older lightly built guitar with a recent well done reset a plus...

....with regards to what exactly makes a great guitar....there are a variety of ways to quantify what makes a great guitar ...some are purely subjective and and can only be determined when the guitar is paired with a player...objective factors such as fit and finish...quality of materials....etc... are plain to see...

....i have found ample reason from both subjective and objective perspectives to conclude that SCGC does indeed make great guitars...

Last edited by J Patrick; 11-23-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:25 PM

There is no one answer - guitars are highly subjective. I love Goodalls but some people say they are overbearing for strumming.
Taylors are too bright, Martins are too dull, Collings are too hi fi, bla bla ... [emoji28]
Old 11-23-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
There is no one answer - guitars are highly subjective. I love Goodalls but some people say they are overbearing for strumming........ [emoji28]
Hush. Say it ain't so. I love some Goodalls. I haven't played them all so all I can say is that I adore one.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:12 PM

I played a grand total of 2 SC's. One was a beat up dread that was used at GC. I wasn't in the market at the time, but I remember walking away thinking I should have bought that guitar. It was stunning, and had a very impressive sound. Too bad the previous owner and the GC tire kickers had beat the crap out of it though. Makes me a little sad to think about. That was a great guitar.

The 2nd was more recently while shopping for my OM. It was a pre war model. I played it side by side with 4 other high end guitars. It had a very mid rangy sound, almost like it had sort of dead strings, but the strings were brand new. That was maybe 4 months ago. Guitars still sitting there and I'm not surprised. Somebody might like it, but I thought it was a dog. Don't get me wrong, fit and finish were superb, setup was good. But that dog was all bark and no bite.

Like has been said before, you gotta play them. They all make good ones and not so good ones. They are made from organic materials. It's the nature of the beast.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:42 PM

To me the simple answer based on my experience is yes. I have 2 and I like each as much as any similar guitars I have played. The PJ is just a wonderful little guitar that showed me just how good a little guitar can be. I have had a number of little guitars prior to the PJ and liked them all. Never saw or had one like this til I tripped over an ad for it on Mando Cafe. Sweetest little player with a big sound. Friends come over to play and it's great to play it with others playing guitars and mandos. It's beautiful, comfortable and easy to play. Should mention I mostly play with a pic and it holds up fine for me. My other SC is an OM. Sitka and rosewood. It's love. Should have bought the RS that was for sale on the forum and in this area. Bad judgement there. Great guitar. A great guitar for me in terms of size and feel. A very reasonable price too. Not the only poor decision I have ever made. Very lucky to have a few other extremely nice guitars. The SCs to my ears, eyes, and hands are equal to any and all. I have met and very much like the SC folks too. Gives me that little extra god feeling when I play their instruments. If there is ever a chance to play one, I would see it as a great opportunity. A friend recently bought himself a 00 1929. Really looking forward to playing it.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 11-24-2019, 05:40 AM

This past Friday I had the pleasure of catching an excellent performance by a singer/songwriter at a local venue. He played the entire show with a very well-played (a wear hole in the top) Santa Cruz dreadnought. The guitar had a wonderful tone and the player was obviously very comfortable and familiar with the instrument. He's a terrific player, and the guitar suits him perfectly.

After the show I talked with him for a while. He bought the guitar new in 1997 and has been touring with it since. Very cool the two found each other...

Last edited by dreamincolor; 11-24-2019 at 07:15 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion